SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
p_mac

Purple Hull harvesting questions

p_mac
13 years ago

Hey, Guys & Gals! Me again, with a few questions that I should probably be able to figure out but I'd really appreciate experienced advice.

Last Fall in the swap, I received purple hull pea & pinkeye cowpea seeds. I planted the purple hull this spring, saving the pinkeye for later. Well, they're grown like gang-busters! I fenced them with CRW to keep them separate from my bush green beans. They are producing long pods that mature to purple. Now for the questions:

Do I wait for the whole pod to turn purple before harvesting? So far I've "shelled" a few and they're a pale green pea inside. Is that right? They still have a slight "green" taste when eaten raw. Does that change after you cook them? Do I dry them to preserve them? How? or if I freeze them, I should blanch them after shelling, right? DH wants me to invest in a sheller, but I don't know that I want to do that yet. Is there an easier way? I read Soonergrandmom's thread from last year on beans and several others that contained advice from George, but none have told me when to harvest! One Google search said I could harvest when 50% of the pod was green, but that seem too early to me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Paula

Comments (11)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner