SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abunari

Entomological approach to insect control.

abunari
15 years ago

I spent a year in college catching and collecting various insects for my collections. To quickly kill the bug (any) we used a container (a glass or plastic jar generally) that contained cotton balls soaked in rubbing alcohol. The cotton balls were mostly covered in plaster to protect the insect from coming in contact with the wet cotton ball but for this idea that is irrelevent.

My idea is probably easier for small potted plants than larger but im sure it could be adapted.

would anyone think it would be possible to use this technique in a similar way to kill insect infestation on a plant. I was thinking of putting the plant into a closed container of some sort and laying cotton balls soaked in rubbing alcohol inside the container or just a small candle holder with rubbing alcohol for a short time.

It should not take more than ten minutes for the insects to be affected. I am confident this would kill several types of pest but am completly unsure how something like this would affect the plant itself!

If anyone could add some insite into what they think it would be appreciated. It seems that everything i try both natural and chemical just burn leaves or is unsafe.

Comments (5)