SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
6ftzuch

Qestions about garden grubs, applying nematodes, milky spore etc

6ftzuch
13 years ago

Hi All,

This is my first time here on this forum. My wife and I just started our first garden and are looking for a little help. We cut the grass from the 9' x 45' area that we'd like to put the garden and found lots of grubs in the soil. I've applied milky spore already but have been told that it may take a year or 2 for it to start working. For this season I was hoping to put something organic / non toxic in the garden and I found out about nematodes. Everything I've seen and read says to apply them with a sprayer to the top of your garden and within a week or 2 you should be all set. This sounded a little but like magic to me and I have tons of questions which I hope some of you can answer..

My questions are this:

How many nematodes would be best for 405 sq foot garden?

Do they work and how long does it take for them to work?

When is the best time to use nematodes and how many times per year?

Are Steinernematid or Heterorhabditis nematodes better?

I've noticed that the grubs and cutworms are a foot or two down in the soil - will they make it down that far? Is it rain that carries them further into the soil?

If not then should I rototill the garden before applying the nematodes to bring the grubs to the top and loosen up the soil?

Do they need sunlight or not? Right now my garden is covered with a tarp to prevent weeds from taking root.

My soil test says to add 5-10-10 fertilizer and lime to change the PH of the garden. Would it kill them if I added fertilizer and should I add fertilizer before or after putting them down?

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (2)