SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karan_in_oregon

Root nematodes in houseplant, I think

Renter
10 years ago

A couple of nights ago I took a cane begonia out of its pot to check roots. It had been dropping leaves. I saw 2 little very thin 1" or so red colored worms that quickly disappeared back into the soil. I threw the plant, soil, and pot away immediately. I did take cuttings of the small amount of growth that still had leaves before that. Are these root nematodes? The search with images look just like what I saw. Are they harmful to humans or pets? I got one other plant from the same local private grower but already gave up on it so it isn't available to see if there were worms. I am afraid to ask how quickly they might spread to other plants. Last fall I brought in a plant from outside that had tiny moths that were shaped like a T. I spent several nights spraying with Windex, that is what I had, and threw out the plant. I do not know if they are related. I am sorry this is so long. Is there anything I can do at this point to protect the other plants? Thank you for listening and for any help. Karan

Comments (5)