SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enquiringmind

DO I have to pot the 'newly rooted houseplant cuttings' with dirt

enquiringmind
12 years ago

Please Help me with this ......

DO I have to pot the 'newly rooted house plant cuttings' with dirt when its doing so well with new roots growing on the 'cuttings' in a jar of water ?

or CAN I continue to leave 'any rooted plant cuttings' in a jar of water (with rocks/pebbles/marbles) ... etc ? what would happen if I leave the rooted plant in water indefinitely ?

so far - most readings from the net were always advice to pot it with dirt after the cuttings have roots.....

I don't mind if the only negative impact is 'slow growth' - I rather have a small, slow growth plant than a dead one ....

Some background info - I know the main reason of being a 'black thumb' myself is watering problem.....

I always either 'over' or 'under' water the plant .... I'm on my 5th 'snake plant' or 'mother-in-law's tongue' .... hope this one survives !

However - I will not give up or give in and I will continue to learn how to turn my black thumbs green....

and when I did some research on the net to improve my gardening skill at a low cost. I think 'cuttings' like spider plant from my friends could be the lowest cost option.

Then it dawn on me - why do I pot and kill the perfectly rooted baby plant with dirt... how about just move the rooted plant to a better jar with ornaments like rocks/pebbles...etc instead.

This way - I will never have to worry about 'watering' frequency, as the plant will always at the same waterline in the jar or glass - right ?

(eg: I saved a last bit of my last (4th!) 'snake plant' by removing the dirt off the mostly dead plant and left the last bit of green snake plant 'shoot' in a jar of water... its now a month and I see some tiny roots showing at the bottom of the plant, I really don't want to pot it back with dirt and kill it again ..... may be I should continue to leave it in the water and see .... )

Thanks for any comments /suggestions to help turn my black thumbs green ..... soon I hope !!

Comments (17)