SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
devilwoman_gw

Questions about molasses for the lawn...

devilwoman
15 years ago

I've looked for dried molasses but can't find it anywhere at a price I'd be willing to pay. I found one place online selling a 50# bag for about $18, but they wanted over $50 for shipping!

So, can I substitute the liquid stuff? If so, do the lawn critters prefer it neat or with water? I'm going to guess they'd not like it on the rocks. If the lawn critters prefer their molasses with water, what would be the dilution ratio? What would be the best way to apply it, and I can start that now or should I wait until later in the year or next year?

According to my north neighbor the previous owner had some lawn care company come out each year and spray it. In spite of that (or maybe because of it) he says it looks better now than it ever has. Of course, the previous owner was an elderly lady so it stands to reason some things would have be very difficult for her. Problem is, though the lawn is green, it's also mostly crabgrass. I realize getting it into the kind of shape where it would mostly crowd out the weeds and crabgrass will take time so I would really like to get started as soon as possible.

I found fairly-traded organic sugar cane blackstrap molasses at Amazon for about $34 for a pack of 6 32 oz. bottles (and free shipping!). I can even get another 15% off that price if I subscribe to having it automatically ship periodically, every 1, 2, 3, or 6 months. That I can handle.

So, will this work instead of the dried stuff and can I start now (or as soon as I can get a shipment here)?

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!