SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vtandrea

garter snake habitat

vtandrea
17 years ago

There was a population explosion in my back yard with regard to garter snakes last summer. Being deathly afraid of snakes (seeing one ruins my whole day), even though I realize they play an important role in the balance of nature, I'm trying to minimize places they like to hang out. Now picture this: a huge pile of stacked up logs in my neighbor's backyard and a piled up discarded hockey rink in the other neighbor's backyard. The former access road to the development runs behind our lot and is now overgrown with grasses, weeds, etc. It would be impossible to keep it cut down. Both neighbors claim they NEVER see a snake in their back yards! Of course they're working during the day. Being retired, I spend at least half a day outside if the weather's decent. I've asked them to remove the wood piles on the advice of our local extension service agent, who says the snakes shelter and breed in that kind of habitat. Do you readers agree with his assessment? Would hiring someone to clear out the overgrown grassy/weedy area behind our lot also help, assuming the wood piles eventually get dealt with? I can tolerate an occasional snake, but hate the thought that they're multiplying in the wood piles. BTW, I have many toads and they are very welcome. Wish they ate snakes.

Comments (3)