SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

Garter Snakes

mulberryknob
12 years ago

Three years ago I saw a garter snake in the garden. I left it alone, hoping it would eat the mice and voles and other small mammals that inhabit my garden. Then last year I heard a squacking and found a leopard frog in the asparagus with one hind leg in the snake's mouth. I made it let the poor frog go. A couple weeks later had to rescue a toad near the house from it. This year there are at least three garter snakes around my place all of different sizes. AND there are far fewer frogs and toads of all kinds. Last year in the heat the little tree frogs would cluster around the water rock and climb into the old freezer that serves as a storage cabinet in the garden. This year I saw none in the freezer. So now I am wondering if I need to catch some garter snakes and relocate them.

I saw the largest one sunning itself outside the woodshed today with a lump in it's middle. I am hoping that the lump was one of the mice that makes its home under the wood. Every year as we use up the wood, we come upon nests and throw them out.

I know that the hognose snakes primarily eat toads and frogs, but I thought garter snakes ate mostly mice and voles. And I would be really happy if they ate grasshoppers. Any thoughts on this situation? Should I try to catch a couple of my resident garter snakes and relocate them. (I would never kill such a beautiful and harmless snake.)

Comments (12)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio