SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Do garter snakes change color?

caliloo
17 years ago

I saw a good sized garter snake in my front garden on and off all spring. I think it was blackish with yellow/white stripes running along it's body. I'll be honest, I am a little nervous around snakes so I didn't get too close. I believe in keeping a respectful distance LOL!

Anyway, I hadn't seen it in a while and this morning I saw a snake that seemed several inches longer, but it was brown and tan with a sort of diamond pattern on it. Again, I did not get too close, but this one was definitely a med brown with lighter tan/cream markings and bigger - maybe 24 - 30 inches.

Is this the same snake with a different color in the summer or has something else moved into my garden? Could this one have eaten the little black and yellow one? Do I need to have it relocated/removed since I have small kids (toddler up to 8 yo) for their safety? I wouldn't be too concerned, but this one had crawled out of the garden and was sunning on my front steps. I think it took 10 years off my life just seeing it there LOL!

THanks for any help!

Alexa

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio