SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

Woody hollow roots with nice eyes-big long nice roots-no eyes

Whew, I just dug (I know it is rather late) a peony that had not been disturbed in about 10 years.

I dug it out carefully, and hosed off all the clay soil.

What I'm left with is a huge clump, with a bunch of knarled woody hollow roots on the top that have nice eyes budded (they are planted quite shallow and always eye up about now)

The lower part is a mass of long nice looking healthy roots, but I can't follow them up through the woody mass to see if any have eyes.

I was digging these for a trade for something quite nice (rose bush), and would like to send 'the best', though none of it really looks 'good' to an untrained peony eye. I have not traded with this member b4, so I don't want to disappoint her.

What should I send? What would do better? I have read that roots that have no eyes will indeed live, survive, and bloom, though the bloom will be delayed.

I might add, that this red peony has always bloomed well for me, in spite of the way the top of it looks.

If we were trading, what would you most like to receive of what I have here? Eyed up hollow woody ones, or long healthy no eye ones, or a combo of the 2?

Of the ones pictured here there are at least 15 big eyes, and several smaller ones. They are all on the woody mostly (if not all) growth. Would you say that they would be a nice plant next season, if planted and properly cared for now?

{{gwi:1145101}}

and here is the mass that is left.

{{gwi:1145103}}

Help please...and thank you

Sue

Comments (7)