SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Eye makeup for sensitive eyes - recommendations?

User
8 years ago

I'm quite allergy-prone anyway, but this crazy wet weather we've had where I live for these past weeks seems to be doing a number on me, and my eyes have become extremely sensitive. This morning I applied my liner and mascara (and even added a bit of shadow since I was feeling all Friday festive), and within minutes my eyes were burning so badly that I took it all off and just went to work bare-eyed. (I have white-blonde eyelashes and have always felt that I look "nekkid" without my makeup.)

Even at the ripe old age of almost-53, I still have extremely oily skin, even around my eyes. This has compelled me to wear waterproof mascara and try to find liners with as much staying-power as possible, but I fear that these qualities may be making my sensitivity worse.

Does anyone share my problem, and if so, what do you do about it? Just go nekkid? Or have you found something that works well for you? Please share!

Comments (39)

• maddielee
    8 years ago

I have tried them all....for me, Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner stays on the longest.

Be sure you apply it with a good brush.

Bobbi Brown at Sephora

ML

User thanked maddielee
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, ML! I've never tried Bobbi Brown products, but a couple of friends have mentioned really liking that line.

• Related Discussions

Messed Up Eye Makeup-- Always!

Q

Comments (22)
    I would think that if eye makeup is always flaking and smudging, that you are probably starting with an eye that isn't ready for makeup. Maybe you have some oil or moisturizer on your face. You should first put a setting powder on your eye to make sure it's not oily. I always start with a concealer above and below my eye and then set it with translucent loose powder, then I apply the eyeshadow, the liner and then mascara. I never have any flaking or smudging at all.
    ...See More

Eye cream for sensitive skin?

Q

Comments (11)
    Almost forgot...I also have liked Vanicream products which I’ve been using this winter at night, after hearing about how they can repair your skin's lipid barrier. That may be another good one to try, and it’s downright cheap at $11/16 ounces compared to lots of other face creams. I buy it at Target. I like that it has no scent or parabens. I use it on my face and eyes at night. When we have less dry weather and aren’t running the heat all the time, I probably will switch to something lighter at night. i also just switched this week from using a commercial face wash to goat's milk and oatmeal soap. It feels better on my face than standard face wash, so that may be something else to check out.
    ...See More

Great under eye wrinkle gel

Q

Comments (75)
    Bunny, I have combo skin and get occasional acne. (Yes, so unfair.) Argan oil doesn't make my skin break out. It's a non-clogging oil that has antibacterial and antifungal properties that help prevent acne, and is actually recommended for acne-prone skin in teens that still needs to be moisturized. It's been researched and shown to be very good for skin and hair. The last time I checked, it was still being sustainably harvested (although that could change as its popularity increases). Rosehip is another oil that's really good for acne-prone skin. The only benefit I find to the Hydro Boost is that it dries instantly and I can apply make-up sooner. Argan oil takes a few minutes to absorb. But once it does, it's not oily or shiny and doesn't clog my pores. A little goes a long way. I use the Shea Organics brand. You may already know all of this but I wanted to reiterate that not all oils are the same. A few years ago, my friends were walking around greased up in coconut oil and breaking out right and left, and now no longer trust any "oil".
    ...See More

Eye makeup/skin care advice

Q

Comments (80)
    BB, I want to look like your mom when I grow up. :) Actually it would e great if the photo went there! lol. All but one of my grandparents (granddad) had passed before I was born. My dad was an only child, my mom grew up in an orphanage beginning around age 5. I know absolutely nothing about the three that passed Ida, the thing is, it doesn't take a great deal of makeup to look nice. It just takes a good product (drug store brands do qualify) and how to apply it. I was shocked at all the goop put on those ladie's faces. I'm more concerned with skin tone and of course my eye's looking dead. I don't wear foundation and rarely I wear concealer. In the above pic I did have concealer on under the eyes, and I finally learned how to apply it. What a difference it made! My eyes will always be a crap shoot though. I remembered I had Elf Lip Lock crayon (used to be called pencil but they're the same product) and I used it today for the first time because my upper lip has recently started to feather a bit. They didn't feather at all with the Elf.
    ...See More
  • OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I've used Bobbi for something like 15 years now and never had a problem. If you don't like the gel liner with a brush, there is a new gel pencil liner that I have started using, and I love it even more. Doesn't seem as harsh a line and is easier to use. I love the steel grey and chocolate brown colors.

User thanked OutsidePlaying
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Another vote for Bobbi! Thanks, OutsidePlaying!

I'm reading online about eye sensitivity and looks like I'll need to forego the waterproof mascara as well as the oil-based remover needed to get it off. Just read that said oil clogs glands and makes eyes red and dry - a problem I wake up to every morning (then they tend to turn itchy and flaky - yuck).

I've never had much luck with gel liners. I'm all thumbs and always get a wonky line. I would be interested in BB's pencils though, and the steel grey and chocolate brown colors are exactly what I'd choose.

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

Is your eye makeup newer or a few months old? Sometimes you need to throw it away and start new. I use mostly Chanel and some Mac and it never bothers my eyes; I think any high end brand should not be an issue.

You might consider having your eyelashes dyed. I have had that done once or twice for summer.

Try cucumber slices to soothe the eyes - it really works!

As far as eye makeup remover, this is the best product ever. Not greasy or oily at all, oh and it doesn't count as a liquid so it's not part of your TSA limit when you travel, LOL.

User thanked MtnRdRedux
  • jlc712
    8 years ago

Clinique Naturally Glossy mascara stays on and doesn't smear, and has a great thin texture that doesn't clump. I also have blonde lashes and bad allergies.

I usually use a pencil eyeliner, and then go over that with the same color in eye shadow, using a thin angled eyeliner brush. Layering it like that keeps it on all day long.

User thanked jlc712
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

MtnRdRedux - my hubby asked me the same question this morning about the age of my products. The mascara is brand new, the eyeliner pencil fairly new, but the eyeshadow I attempted to wear today has been in my drawer for longer than I should admit. I have had my lashes dyed a number of times. I've had trouble though (even using different technicians), the dye seeped into my eyes and burned horribly. The last time this happened, I swore I wouldn't go through that again. I'm almost feeling as though I should learn to love my lashes just as they are! ;-)

Oh, I'd love to have some cucumber slices right this minute! That sounds so very soothing. And thanks for the eye makeup remover recommendation. I'll definitely look for this when I shop this weekend.

jlc712 - thank you so much for the mascara recommendation. I hate clumpy lashes, so the Clinique sounds nice. I'm starting to think that powder shadows are not for me, as they tend to flake in tiny little amounts into my eye and drive me bonkers. I know layering works well though. I've done the same thing for special occasions and my makeup has had much better staying power.

• Springroz
    8 years ago

I have always used waterproof mascara, because my eyelashes are long, and touch my face. I do not need yet another dark circle! I was using Trish McEvoy, as it stays on even though it is not waterproof. I still had to use a remover to get it off.

Then I tried the DHC mascara, and I LOVE it! It is pretty much the same formula as Trish, but it comes off easily with a warm washcloth. One LESS irritant!

User thanked Springroz
  • deegw
    8 years ago

I don't have any makeup suggestions but I've had some luck clearing up my eyes by washing them with Johnson's baby shampoo. I've had trouble with flakiness, allergies, redness and other yucky stuff. If you Google Johnson's baby shampoo and eye wash you will see many hits. Apparently irritants can stick to brows and lashes so they need some extra scrubbing.

User thanked deegw
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Springroz - thank you for the mascara suggestions! I totally understand about not needing another dark circle! Speaking of long lashes that touch your face, that's what my brother has. And his are dark lashes too, framing his pretty blue eyes. I've always considered it quite unfair that he should be blessed in this way, while his sister (and our other brother) have light, near-invisible lashes!

deee_gw - I would not have ever thought of using Johnson's Baby Shampoo as a remover! Great idea though. I hate to admit that in my rush to get the stuff OFF my eyes this morning (I was already on the verge of running late for work), I swiped them with an oily remover pad, and then I grabbed (ack!) the Softsoap hand-washing stuff to remove the trace of oil! What a dumb thing to do!

• MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

You could try a salon that uses a vegetable based dye? That one didn't sting me.

Yeah, throw out the shadow. We all have old makeup though, don't we? I know I do. I get a color, don't like it but dont hate it, and it goes in "storage".

The neutrogena remover pads can be hard to find, and cvs and others package something that looks identical but is NOT (theirs stings!). I have had luck finding it at BedBath and Beyond.

User thanked MtnRdRedux
  • User
    8 years ago

Jen, I feel for you. I too have extreme allergies. I'm on two pills, one twice a day, eye drops, ear drops and nasal spray. I can't take shots because of my BP or I'd go that route.
    I've always been a naturalist so only wore a little blush, mascara and a light brown shadow. Anymore, the only thing I can wear on my eyes is eyeliner which I rarely wear. I must have left it at our daughter's house or lost it since it's not back in my drawer and my make up cases are empty and I don't remember the brand. It was a twist up pencil. I cannot remember or find the brand online so I can't help you there. I will keep searching for it because, obviously, I'll need to buy more. It's the only eyeliner that's easy to put on and doesn't make me want to scratch my face off.
    Which reminds me of the time I was in a car with my son's then girlfriend heading to visit him in Kansas at Ft Riley before he haded to the sandbox. She took out her make up to freshen up shortly before we got there and my face was in flames!
    So yes, I get where you are coming from. Which is why, unless I'm going out with hubby, I wear nothing more than blush.

User thanked User
  • blfenton
    8 years ago

I don't bother wearing eye make-up anymore because of eye sensitivities but when I did I used Clinique. I still use Clinique products for the rest of my face and for under-eye make-up and eye cream and never even notice that I have anything on. My eyes don't react at all.

User thanked blfenton
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

MtnRdRedux- I have "one of those" makeup drawers full of a bunch of junk I never use and WILL never use. Why I don't just toss it out is beyond me. ;-)

justgotabme - It's nice to have empathy, but I'm sorry your allergies are so extreme.

blfenton - I wish I could be more like you and justgotabme, feeling comfortable not wearing eye makeup. (Or at least you seem to have made peace with it!) I still struggle with thinking I'm "hideous" without it. I was teased some as a child, and when I was twelve I wore mascara for the first time (dressed as a fortune teller for Halloween!), and was told I looked SO much BETTER with dark lashes. It may seem ridiculous now, but those events colored (no pun intended) the way I've always seen myself, I guess.

• blfenton
    8 years ago

I have light-coloured lashes and eyebrows and I do get my eyebrows dyed darker when I have my colouring done. Doing that really seems to accent my eyes.

User thanked blfenton
  • patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

Jen, it seems I go thru 'fits and starts' when it comes to eye makeup. Sometimes I can't determine if it's the mascara or the shadow. I swear i've tried every brand from drug store to the 'private lable' stuff, cheap or expensive, it doesn't matter. Several years ago I had the worst reaction ever, and couldn't wear eye makeup for 3 weeks(it was Mac mascara), since that's how long it took to clear up. I ended up going to my dr who prescribed a strong anti bacterial cream as well as recommending I take benadril, which really helped relieve the terrible itching. I made things much worse by using a cortizone cream on my eyelids drying them out to a point of flakiness, which caused more itching and redness. That was 3 years ago and I haven't had a problem since! I stick to the same brand of mascara rather than continually changing, l'oreal original formula, and waterproof is out for sure. All blues and the beautiful eggplant color eye shadow I loved are big no no's also. I sometimes wonder if what is 'on the shelf' in stores is out of date.

I also use the Neutrogena makeup remover pads(Target), or good old fashion Ponds cold cream(love the smell!). Like yourself, my blue eyes along with my almost non existant lash color, I NEED eye makeup, even if it's only 1 coat of mascara. Even with a coat of neutral eye shadow, with powder over it, I still have an issue with liner staying on, and the 'wet' type is not the more natural look I want. My latest is using a charcoal eye shadow with a wet brush. I can get a very fine line at the root of the lashes, w/o looking like a 'lady of the night'. ;)

User thanked patty_cakes42
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, anitamo! I've not heard of Blinc before now. I think there must be many brands out there nowadays that I know nothing about. Admittedly, I've never been too "adventurous" when it comes to makeup and have pretty much stuck to the old familiar brands. My hubby likes Skinn by Dimitri James skincare products, and has ordered some of the makeup (foundation, concealer) for me. I really like this stuff a lot, and it feels slightly more "outside the box" than what I'm used to! ;-)

blfenton - My brows are naturally darker than my lashes. I wonder if that helps make me look less washed out than I realize!

patty_cakes - thanks for your input! I guess there are more of us out there than I knew who suffer from these sensitivity issues. I know what you mean about not wanting to look like a "lady of the night." Heck, the older I get, the more I feel I resemble a drag queen when I'm fully "done up." ha!

• chispa
    8 years ago

I also use the Neutrogena make-up remover pads and can usually find them at Costco. It comes with several of the soft pouch containers packaged in a larger box, so they last quite a while.

User thanked chispa
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, chispa!

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

I also have problems with my eyes -- allergies is part of it but I am also missing a bone in my nose that has resulted in a direct connection from my tear ducts to my nasal sinuses. I wore NO eye makeup for much of my adult life but for the past few years I've worn Chanel with no issues. My eyes are still watery but they don't sting from the makeup and I don't get black circles. I use the Ligne Graphique liner and the Le Volume mascara. I am blonde also (with the help of my salon!) and I especially like the platine color eye liner-- which is a platinum color. I also wear bronze. Both were limited edition colors and I am not sure if they are still available. I have a number of shadows-- but almost always wear the illusion d'ombre.

I generally stick with Chanel but I will say that Mac has a much broader range of colors. I haven't tried them yet but I will one of these days. Hopefully you can find a line that will work for you!

User thanked Funkyart
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Funkyart! Looks like I have a few brands to check into now. The platinum and bronze shades you mention sound so-so-so pretty!

• Springroz
    8 years ago

Auntjen, my brother also has eyelashes that make mine look like nubs, framing blue eyes....my eyes are hazel.....not fair!!

User thanked Springroz
  • User
    8 years ago

Another vote here for Neutragena makeup remover pads. I'be tried several generic/store brand versions and nothing is as effective and gentle for me as the real deal.

I used to wear waterproof mascara but eye sensitivities that began a couple years ago led me to let that go (except for weddings & funerals). I tried several brands - many high-end - & Neutragena is the best for me.

I wore Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner for years but the pot would always dry out long before I finished it. Her pencil gel eyeliner came out & I thought that was the greatest. But one time I was traveling & picked up the Sonya Kashnuk (sp?) version at Target. It is as good/better, IMO. It costs less & is more convenient for me to buy. Stays all day. No flaking or smearing.

That's pretty much all Ii ever wear for eye makeup. Today I had an eye doc appt. so my eyes were nekkid. It did feel weird whenever I caught sight of myself ;)

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Not fair, Springroz - it's just not fair at ALL! ;-)

amck2, thanks for the input! I've seen the Sonia Kashuk products at Target, but never thought to try anything from that line. I'll see if I can find the pencil gel eyeliner, as it seems I am ALWAYS in Target. (How does that happen?)

I feel silly admitting this, but today I took a selfie of myself sans eye makeup, and perhaps the lighting was favorable, because I didn't feel I looked as hideous as I feared. Mostly what I noticed was how wrinkled my undereye area has become over the past couple of years - ugh! I really do think we're our own worst critics, and tend to focus on things that others probably never even notice about us. ::sigh::

• User
    8 years ago

I was a Clinique user for years until about 3 yrs ago. I bought a new tube and my eyes hated it.

Upon investigation, I learned that mercury is used as a preservative in many mascaras. I have a sensitivity to mercury and I don't particularly care for the idea of having it so close to my eyes. I tossed the brand new Clinique and started experimenting with those brands that don't contain mercury. The only mascara that works for me is Almay.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/in-the-public-eye-mascara-exempt-from-mercury-treaty/

User thanked User
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Mercury?!? I had no idea! Thanks for the informative link. Kinda makes me wonder if any of the cosmetics we use are worth the risk!

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

Oh no.. I just did a quick search for the Chanel bronze and platine eyeliners and I can't find them anywhere. I purchased another of each when I discovered how much I liked the colors but my backups are running low. I figured I'd look for you -- and get another few for myself! It is worth checking in store if you are at a chanel counter. I was able to purchase my favorite tweed blush more than a year after it was discontinued because the store had one in a drawer.

I do hope you are able to find them-- they are really great for a day look. My coloring isn't fair but I wear soft, natural colors and they both work nicely for a more soft and subtle eye with a little shimmer. A great contrast to the smoky eye (which I just can't carry off)

User thanked Funkyart
  • Sueb20
    8 years ago

I wonder if you might try one of the more "natural" brands like Almay or Origins? Or maybe Kiehls? (I don't even know if they have makeup but I like some of their other products.)

I haven't generally had allergy issues with makeup but I find as I get older (50) my eyes are more sensitive to everything! I can't wear my contact lenses all day like I used to, for example. I have gotten away with less (or no) eye makeup and instead, attempt to brighten up my face with lip color. Wait -- that sounds funny -- I put the lip color only on my lips, not on my face!

User thanked Sueb20
  • User
    8 years ago

Whole Foods mascara is another decent one....no mercury either.

User thanked User
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    8 years ago

I stick to "all-natural" brands of makeup w/o sulfates or parabens. They tend to be much gentler, IMPE. Sometimes it's the fragrance in a product that becomes quite irritating to me.

I only wear mascara for special occasions, since it seems to dry out my lashes, but that too is "all-natural". For daily use, I just use some concealer & brush, then smooth on, some dark brown powder around the outer corners of my upper & lower lash line. Eye pencil might be even better, since it stays put better than powder, but the powders tend to have fewer ingredients & don't seem to get contaminated as easily.

Larenim is a good 'natural' brand - & there are many to choose from nowadays - mostly sold @ the health food stores.

User thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Lyban zone 4
    8 years ago

I have Blepharitis and have always been told by dermatologist to use this Novartis product for my eyes when cleaning.

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-Scrub-Sterile-Remover-Cleansing/dp/B0028RWCR2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434820551&sr=8-1&keywords=NOVARTIS+EYE+LID

It flares up once and awhile and I use it then . In between I use baby shampoo.
    I might also try the Neutragena ones that Mtx suggested.

User thanked Lyban zone 4
  • User
    8 years ago

Thanks for the link, Jmc101. I don't understand why thimerosal is no longer used in contact lens solutions, but the beauty products industry believes it cannot be replaced in mascara.

User thanked User
  • rococogurl
    8 years ago

Over time my eyes have become very sensitive and itchy. I've always worn eye makeup -- tons and tons. I never go out without eye makeup. Love it but the last few years, just putting on eye liner is very itchy.

So I have some work arounds. First, I use Visine soothing drops before trying to put on any makeup. I like Make Up Forever Aqua Eyes liner pencils -- soft and not too expensive. Sephora has them. Then I fill in with Milani eye liner. It's inexpensive and has an accurate brush. Drugstore.com has it.

I've gone around with mascara but always come back to Lancome. They have a base coat/lash conditioner that makes the mascara go on easier and say on very well without irritation. Another mascara that has worked well is Laura Mercier though it didn't thicken enough for me LOL.

There are a few removers that work well. I find I need more than one. Lancome's Bi Facil is my longtime staple. It gets most any eye make up off very easily. But then I go over my eyes with the Eye Scrub Lyban linked above -- also from drugstore.com It's sterile in sealed pouches and removes the little bits. I also sometimes use Klorane Floral lotion which is very mild.

My eye lids were awfully dry a few years ago -- my skin has become dryer over all. I use Mario Badescu Special Eye Cream V every night. It's sheer and doesn't irritate. Mario Badescu, in NYC., is a salon that makes their own products which are quite gentle. I order those online and usually wait till they have a % off sale and free shipping around holidays. Their emails let you know. They are the best quality/value I've found overall for skin care and the choices are extensive. They have 8 different eye creams depending on skin needs. They also give free samples with order.

And their Glycolic Foaming face wash removes all traces of makeup after the two removers -- but leaves skin moist. But there's a whole menu of those too, geared to skin type. I also really love their face creams -- it's hard for me to get any that really moisturize but theirs do.

So many suggestions! Will be interesting to see what you like.

User thanked rococogurl
  • MtnRdRedux
    8 years ago

I agree on the Klorane -- that's a super product. They also make eye makeup remover wipes.

User thanked MtnRdRedux
  • deegw
    8 years ago

rococogurl - please be careful with Mario Badescu. It was discovered a while ago that one of their eye creams contained a powerful prescription steroid that was NOT noted on the ingredient list (for obvious reasons).

I used the cream on my daughter. Thankfully her issue cleared up and we never had to use it again. Some people used the cream for years and had horrible side effects when the cream was pulled from the market.

I am not sure if they have had management changes since the incident but the fact that they secretly put prescription ingredients in their "natural" products for years is stunning to me.

Badesu class action suit:

https://healingandcontrolcreamsettlement.com/

They have been updating the ingredient lists of some of their other products and it is clear that they have been omitting ingredients for years. They did not follow FDA labeling guidelines.

User thanked deegw
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you all so much for your recommendations/thoughts on this topic! We ended up at Nordstrom on Saturday, where I picked up a Bobbi Brown mascara and gel liner pencil. The mascara is not waterproof, but "long-wearing"; even so, I found it very easy to remove. It has a very, very thin brush which seems to work much better for me than the thick brushes that deliver a lot of product and have a tendency to make great big clumping goops on my lashes. The thin brush delivers such a small amount of product that it's easy to build it up without overdoing it. The best thing is that this mascara feels GREAT on my eyes. I have no itching or burning whatsoever.

The Bobbi Brown gel liner was a miss for me, and I'll be returning it. I ended up with a mahogany shade that is much too harsh for me, but aside from the color being wrong, the pencil itself wasn't easy for me to use. It "skipped" on my upper lids (where I think it looks better on me -- seems that lining my lower lashline makes me look even older these days), so I kept going over it and ended up wearing way too much of it. I had to tone it down by smudging with a cotton swab, so of course I ended up with more on one eye than the other. This could be entirely user error, but at $25 for the pencil, if I don't absolutely love it I'm not keeping it.

I'm still compiling a list of all of the other products recommended here and will keep them in mind. Yesterday, DH produced a couple of Skinn by Dimitri James eye pencils that came with some skincare products he ordered recently. One is a gold color, and I actually really like it. It adds just a touch of sparkle to my eyes. How it will wear as the day goes on remains to be seen, however.

• Funkyart
    8 years ago

So glad you found a mascara that doesn't irritate and that you like! I have the same problem with eye pencils-- they skip. Could be user error here too but since I am the one using it, i want it to be easy and foolproof!

Love the idea of a gold pencil! I am sure you get similar effect with it that I get with the bronze and platine-- they just add a little shimmer and they aren't as harsh as the dark/black liners. I especially like these when I wear the nude or light eye colors. Hope they work out for you in the longterm!

User thanked Funkyart
  • rococogurl
    8 years ago

@dee-gw - I have been using Mario Badescu products for 20 years, and visiting the salon for treatments, without any issues whatsoever. Nor have I ever heard of any. As it happens I am super sensitive to steroids. But nada.

Obviously, they should be following labeling laws. No question. However, I would never use any cosmetic for healing purposes. Their use is very limited.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio