SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbyo_gw

Growing Peonies Successfully

DebbyO
18 years ago

Well,... I have had the same peony for at least 2-3 years now. I have NEVER seen it bloom, although when it starts to pop up and grow in the spring, the plant and foilage itself looks awesome. The stems will eventually break off and lie on the ground at some point. (Which now I hear I should be staking it to prevent this - when I thought maybe a cat or another animal was breaking them).

Then I start to see tight buds form,.... and then it just peters out, stops progressing, and I get nothing.

I am wondering if I should move it to another location.

I have read a little on peonies, and here's what I learned:

Initially, I may have planted it too deep. If planted too deep, one gets nice foilage, but no blooms. Bummer.

I had also read that it may take up to three years to bloom due to a replanting. Wow - that is along time to wait for results. Talk about 'persnickety'! ;o) ! lol

Plant it in a full sun area (mine is in a partial sun area). Fertilize in the spring (with what though)? Prune 3" to the ground in the fall. I also hear if I should move and/or replant it, I should do it in the fall - (and not now)?.

Can someone advise me on these issues? I love peonies, but have never had any luck with them like I have had with about 90% of my other plants in my garden. It is frustrating because I get so close with this plant,... but yet I am still so far away!

Any info and advice would be great appreciated!

Thanks and sincerely,

Debby O

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022