SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachelshadoan

Tomato Trouble

rachelshadoan
14 years ago

So, this is my first year really gardening on my own. My parents did it when I was a kid, but I was only intimately involved in the weeding and harvesting.

My plants are all planted in five gallon buckets into which I've drilled drainage holes about an inch from the bottom. There is a layer of rocks at the bottom of each pot to facilitate drainage. The mix they are planted in is 1 part each of perlite, vermiculite, peat moss, topsoil, organic compost, and composted manure.

I've got about fifteen tomatoes planted, and the only ones I've been having real trouble with are a couple of the heirlooms. I've got a Black Krim, an Old German, and a Striped German that have been giving me issues all summer long.

Their most recent problem was blossom end rot. The Striped German manifested this problem first, and I thought--lack of calcium, I can solve that with milk! All the milk I had on hand at the time was buttermilk, which I dumped into its pot. This made the local flies very happy (gross!) but it also seemed to solve the blossom end rot.

Once the Black Krim and the Old German manifested the blossom end rot, I decided that skim milk was a better option than buttermilk--thinner, better penetration, etc. So, in my infinite wisdom, I bought two gallons of skim milk and poured one gallon each in to the pots of the Black Krim and the Old German. I thought I was very clever! After all, milk is 85% water, and it has a lot of calcium in it...

Well, 24 hours later, and my plants are highly wilty. These things have not wilted all summer long. This leads me to suspect that I have done something terribly, terribly wrong.

I have attempted to flush some of the milk out, and the plants are not draining as well (probably because the milk has turned to yogurt around the rocks at the bottom of my pot...)

The soil is currently damp. How can I save them? I've invested so much effort in these wimpy heirlooms that I hate to just give up on them.

Thanks!

Rachel

Comments (2)