SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

A Rainy Morning in Southern OK!

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
14 years ago

We were awakened around 7 a.m. by tons of thunder and lightning eventually followed by rain. The rain itself didn't sound that impressive, but perhaps it was overshadowed by the gobs of thunder....and lightning.

So, I was pleasantly surprised when I stepped outside and checked the rain gauge around 8 a.m. and it showed over an inch of rain had fallen! Even better, there's been light, scattered rain ever since and there still are storms to our west that might bring more. The temperature is a cool and pleasant 70 degrees, which is even better.

Since our June rainfall (prior to today) had been only about 25% of our "average" for the month, this rain was desperately needed. I know that an inch won't do much for the people near me whose wells have run dry (already!) and whose creeks are empty, but any rain is better than no rain and maybe it will cut back on the number of grassfires we have this week, because we had "too many" last week for this time of year.

There are large storms moving along the Red River, but most of them are actually south of the river, so I suspect heavy rains....perhaps flooding rains.....are falling somewhere between the Thackerville, OK/Gainesville, TX area and the Denton/McKinney, TX area. I wish those heavier rains were falling here, but remain grateful for the rain received today.

I was so disappointed in the "cold front" yesterday. It hardly changed our weather at all here. The air temperature was a little lower but the humidity was higher, so the net result was that our heat index was only 2 degrees lower on Sunday than it was on Saturday (102 instead of 104). So, I went to sleep thinking the cold front hadn't really helped us at all.....an opinion I had to revise when the rain arrived this morning.

Maybe I can get by without watering the garden for the rest of the week since we're also going to have ever-so-slightly milder temperatures (maybe 2 or 3 degrees cooler each day this week than last week).

I hope it rains all day. It probably won't, but that won't keep me from hoping for it!

Dawn

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH