SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceresone

December Journal

ceresone
18 years ago

I hope this works, surely there's enough of us to make the entire month interesting.

We arent doing much here, that wind from the north is brutal!but, I wont complain, as on other forums I read, the northern snowstorms have a lot of people snowbound. Guess I'm strange, but if my animals are snug and warm, I love the isolation. Give me a good book, and I can snuggle down by the fire and be happy.

But, then, my kids have to be out on the roads, going to jobs, and for that reason, I dread the winter. Seems where we are, we get ice storms instead of snow.

Everyone getting ready for Christmas? Tough times here this year, I've made ceramic gifts for my children. I've painted a wildlife wreath thats going to be hard to give away, but--think daughter will like it.

Wish I could send everyone eggs for their Christmas "goody" baking, think I have 18 dozen in the ref.Strange, in a farm area, radio and papers wont take advertising on farm products.

Horses have hay and grain in the barn, chickens snug, dogs and cats warm and fed, and gas in the propane tank, wood in the woodshed, thats the things we were thankful for this past Thanksgiving add freedom and health to the list, and we have everything we need for Christmas--and winter.

Hubby has been with us 2 years longer than predicted, so thats a bonus.

How's your life going this long cold December?

Comments (18)

• christie_sw_mo
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sounds like you're ready for winter Ceresone. I'm like you. I don't mind it if I can stay in and not drive in it and snow is not so bad compared to that "wintery mix" stuff. I still have a lot of Christmas shopping to do and we got a few snowflakes this week to remind me that I need to get moving. Even a little snow helps to get me in the mood to buy Christmas presents. Also makes me wish I had finished when the weather was warmer.
    We opted for a giant inflatable polar bear this year instead of putting up Christmas lights. No ladder needed for the polar bear. : )
    I'm sure your kids will appreciate the handcrafted gifts Ceresone. Those are the ones that are most precious to me. I have my cedar chest full of things that my mother and grandmother made. It's good to hear your hubby is still with you. I'm sure you will be so glad to have him with you over the holidays.
    I finally rolled up the garden hoses and brought them in. Took me awhile didn't it! Hope they're not cracked from the freezes we had. They were drained at least. I was wanting soaker hoses anyway. lol
    I keep the dogs' water on the back porch and have had to thaw their bowl out a few times but it hasn't frozen solid. I have a heated water dish I need to get out plug in for them. Those are very very nice for winter. We got ours at Race Brothers in Spfd.
    I got a catalog this week from High Country Gardens so now I have spring planting fever again. There's some pretty neat stuff in there. Lots of things I think my hummingbirds would like. Several kinds of Agastache which I've only tried once and killed. Might give it another shot though.
    Anybody else getting plant catalogs? Ordering seeds yet?

• gldno1
    18 years ago

Ceresone, glad you started this again. Surely there are enough of us to keep it going this time.

Glad you are battened down for winter. It is a good feeling to have everything taken care of for the cold. I agree with you about how that makes you feel. Also happy your husband is still with you. What a blessing that is.

I sure wish I was closer, I would relieve you of some of those eggs. Have you tried a sign out by the road? I have checked out a couple of those in our area. We still plan to get a few chickens next spring. Our granddaughter will have a fit if we don't.

We have just about finished shopping. We do mostly for the 4 grandkids and just a small family thing for our adult kids (2).

We just got a new puppy. Our neighbor called about a stray she found in the road and, of course, we said yes. I don't really care though since one of our dogs died and the remaining one needs company. We put the puppy in with her last night and in 15 minutes he was crying on the back step so we put him on the porch during the night. We will make other arrangement today. I don't think I want an indoor dog. I think we will try giving him a bath (in the milk parlor) today and head to the vet with him. Also need to pick up some puppy chow. I think he looks like he is going to be pretty big...has large paws and legs, maybe a shepherd mix?

We are feeding the birds now for winter and I made a batch of suet cakes for them. It always amazes me how fast they see those. The little Carolina Wren was the first, I now have seen the red-headed woodpecker, white crowned sparrows, titmice, and the red birds eating from it.

My next project is going to be building a platform feeder for right outside the kitchen window. I need a heated workshop! I could move the project to the milk barn. The overhead furnace is still in place. In fact, we need to move most tools over there to clear out the garage.

Christie, the only agastache I have tried were ones I raised from seed and they weren't terribly impressive, but did return for me. One was agastache cana, a pink; and the birds did visit it and the other was a blue one, can't remember the name of it. I have never ordered from High Country (they seem high to me), but I love their catalog and plants. Yes, I am already getting lots of catalogs......good winter reading.

I have lots of coleus cuttings and Homestead Purple verbena cuttings going under the lights. I also tried some fall cuttings of roses and have two good looking plants going now. My next project this weeks is to take some dormant rose cuttings. I read another Ozarkers method, Millie, that got my attention. Don't know exactly yet how I am going to do it, but will take the cuttings regardless.

I want to start knitting and crocheting soon; just need to bring my yarns back down to the house (stored in plastic tubs in the garage). I hope it all comes back to me.

Have a good day and stay warm.

gld

• Related Discussions

Journal 1 December 2014

Q

Comments (7)
    I hope he gets back on his feet, quite literally, soon! I know I'd end up with all the family pictures. At least on my mom's side. My dad, I'm less certain. He's been scanning some. I hope he's done a lot of them! The LF (little fella) (not so little any more. He's finally more than 100 pounds, and taller than 5 feet) is not doing anything. Hence, my disappointment. Boo on him! He did make and sell $100 worth of jewelry. He won't even do that anymore. He skipped out on selling discount books (those sell like hotcakes every year), local grocery cards, fruit, candy... all of it. All he has to do is show up with the jewelry, and my friends/family will buy it. The weirdest part of that is, he wanted to start his own "business" with it? He even had a leger he was keeping. He has supplies. He likes to do it. So what gives? Dunno. Haven't overcome that obstacle yet.
    ...See More

Journal 8 December 2006

Q

Comments (4)
    It is the type of cold where snow doesn't fall as snow, but as tiny balls or flakes of ice. It's the third day of bitter cold, and this old house, three runs of brick thick, holds it's warmth for a while and then starts to cool off by the third day of cold. Then no matter how you heat it, the cold eminates from the walls. We've reached that point, and I wore a toboggan to bed last night. LOL. I have checked the hen house early these days, as I worry for the fowl, although I've lain hay in their coop heavily. The water bowls were frozen this morning and I've increased their rations of corn for the calories. Two solitary eggs lay in their nest boxes, a couple of brave hens abandoned them to the freeze and never bothered to sit them. The husband suggested flap jacks for supper, so I fried up a skillet of potatoes, and served them up with Canadian bacon as sides. I found a cache of the bacon half price, and scooped up enough for four meals. It's a little luxury I haven't bought in years and puts me in mind of the bacon I ate as a child. The litte tree went up yesterday and it got decorated today between jobs and is cheerful and simple. The creche went over the new kitchen fireplace mantel, and the last touches of some fir boughs comes tomorrow. As the old saw goes, sometimes less is more. My tom cat is sitting on the quilt I'd thrown over the dining room table, hoping to get some more quilting done on it today. Didn't happen. I'd like it done by Christmas, but I am not betting on it. Next week in the greenhouses shall be grueling, and before the you know what hits the fan, I'd like to get my plum pudding made. I didn't do one last year, and something seemed very missing, if you know what I mean. I guess the Christmas spirit finally started to hit me. I've always heard it told that you advise depressed people to act happy, and it fools the body into becoming happy........chicken and egg analogy. Well, I guess the same thing holds for the Christmas spirit. I went through the motions and now am feeling it a little.
    ...See More

journal 3 December 2009

Q

Comments (4)
    I agree Meldy; as I had the same thought. I know I need to shed some titles every now and again, and choosing those is not always easy. ;) Journal December 7-9, 2009 It was my last living grandparent's graduation ceremony this weekend. My mother's mother. She too, had many titles. We called her mother, grandmother, GranMrs., pussycat, Aunt Dotie, Dot, sister, prayer warrior, friend and many others. She lived 92 years and they were all (even during the depression!) spent with happiness, joy, and with anticipation of going to heaven. She, like I am, is a chrisitian. Those of us who attended Gran's funeral knew where she was, and what was going on. We didn't cry the sobbing hopeless tears of only a loss, we were all overjoyed that she was having her homecoming party with her husband who died 6 years ago (that's been the hardest part for me, because I knew how much she was missing him and they couldn't be together all these years. She was really sad!), her brothers and sisters, even my dad's mother (that one hit me hard, the two gigglers smiling down on us). We knew, and we were cheered to know it. When they moved Gran to a nursing home from the assisted living place a few months ago, she wasn't allowed to have anything that didn't fit on her nightstand. No pictures, no nothing. It bothered me. But really, she wouldn't have noticed; she has been a shell for far too long. If we knew where the item came from, it was given to the person who gave it. I got back my anniversary clock I gave to them so many decades ago. I put a battery into it and set it where I could see it every day. I noticed it winding down a month ago, and wanted to put a new battery in it. I thought, hm, it hasn't been that long since I put a new one in it. I took it as a sign, and did not put a battery in, so I could see when it would happen, since it was like Gran's heart winding to a stop. And when it fully came to a stop a week ago, I knew what was about to happen. She's "been dying" for years, and yet, I knew. Mom called at 3:22AM on Sunday, and like sissy, I hopped out of bed, knowing what the phone call was for. Mommy said Gran had labored breathing and it didn't look good. Although mom would call when she got there, sis and I stayed up waiting. She didn't call again until 7:12AM, saying, they were wrong. She had already died at 2:30AM. I miss you GranMrs, but I know you're happy and in his arms right now.
    ...See More

Journal 10 December 2007

Q

Comments (6)
    I used a sauna once and it was very relaxing. When I came out I felt like a big blob of jello. I am jealous that your house is going so well, but glad for you. Mine has been an adventure in small disasters. Just when I was getting into serious packing took my DH to the hospital with chest pains. (I had never driven over 80mph before!) Not his heart thank God. that set us back a few days but it did give me a little perspective about what was really important. A couple days later a migrain forced me to bed for a day and a half. Then when I really thought we might move it turns out one carpet was back ordered a fact that the carpet guys neglected to tell anyone. GRRRR!! By this time the mover had broken one of our glass collection. (this mover was selected because of his experience with fragile items!) Might be possible to fix this because it was lampworked but have thus far been unable to get ahold of the artist. We had decided to move without the carpet in one room when the rain turned the drive into a morass of mud. The man who was supposed to fix the road had kept putting it off. Now he is putting on more gravel but we put off the move yet agin in fear that the truck would get stuck. Move is now rescheduled yet again for next Mon. I hope we get there before we have to leave for Mex on Dec 27. But the truth is the house is wonderful if we can just get there. Sigh!!
    ...See More
  • Yolanda71361
    18 years ago

Agree with the postings above on being able to keep this journal up. Glad to know that everyone is prepared for this segment of winter weather. The latest "cold snap" has our temp down to mid 20's this morning. Heard a earlier forecast that we may have wintery mix later this week.

Lawn is covered from falling leaves and will need cleaning up next few days if possible. I usually just mulch them with the mower. Sometimes I just wish that I would have a compost pile but don't. Vegetables (cole crops)in garden still looking good. Do have tomatoes in 5 gallon pails that are starting to ripen.

Goldfinches have arrived last few days and along with the other birds that are present they do perk us up. We feed the birds year round and enjoy having them. Also put up our wood duck nest boxes and they should start using them any day now.

Again, I enjoy reading everyone's posting and hope that this journal works this time. Have a safe and great day.

• kaye
    18 years ago

Wound up the rest of the hoses yesterday to store for the winter..I hope. Had to water again over the last weekend as we winter a lot of roses in pots and even with the cooler weather, they have to be watered at least weekly when no rain comes. This is the driest spell I remember in the 10 years we've lived here. Even ice or snow would be welcome at this point!

Got all the wood cut for the greenhouse stove. We switched from propane to wood last year and it worked well, as well as being low cost. At least I can rationalize wintering the tropicals now. A bit more work..but worth it.

The roses are still green but the dried flowers hanging from the bushes look a little sad. I'll leave them for spring pruning and use my imagination in the meanime.

The birds are flocking in..the last to arrive this year were the Juncos. We feed year round but water seems to bring them in as much as the food since we've had so little rain this year. Saw the doves back yesterday..they like the corn chops I toss on the ground.

We spend most of the winter planning the spring!!

• gldno1
    18 years ago

18 here this morning and I think they are still talking a few inches of snow. I like the way it looks, but if it is on too long, it will mean we have to keep hay out for the cows instead of them grazing. We still have a good bit of grass for them.

We sold the last of the Holstein heifers yesterday and were very pleased with the price. We were starting to worry about them calving on us before we could get them sold.

My cuttings of coleus and verbena had to be clipped again and I now have tons more in water waiting to pot up. I don't need any more coleus, but hate to pitch them so guess I will just keep on for a bit longer......when I run out of light room....I will have to stop.

My sis gave me a recipe for homemade doggy treats. I think I will do that today for the new puppy. It sounds pretty time consuming, but I have the time.

Kaye, I am interested in the wood-burning stove you have for the greenhouse. Would you mind sharing that info. I still don't have a greenhouse and am still thinking about it. I sure would want it as low-cost to run as possible and wood was something I thought about. Also what kind of gh and the size. I may have asked you this before, if so, sorry. I keep storing up all kinds of info.....just in case. Thanks.

Yolanda, I never think about La getting that cold! Brrrrr.

I still haven't brought the yarns down from the garage, must do that and start some projects. We did finish the desk for our daughter and I think it turned out nice. Not a professional refinish job, but it does look pretty good.

• kaye
    18 years ago

We have a hoophouse, 12 x 20. It's great here when it snows as it doesn't stick to the shape as easily, though we've had to dust the snow off some with a broom. We store all our tropicals in it but not the roses..they don't like the GH or the bugs that come. We can keep it about 45 even when the temps get in the 20s (like this AM). We're using the basic old black stove in a corner with a fan behind it and another in the aisle that moves the warm air to the other end. Like I mentioned before, we first tried this last year to cut the cost and it worked just fine. Hubby stokes the stove before bedtime and again when he gets up (early riser) and we have back=up electric heaters..just in case the fire dies out. Keeping the damper almost shut keeps a steady fire thru the night. I took a picture last year and call it the "Arkie Greenhouse". Under that pile of snow in front are roses.

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

We are wondering what is going to endure this dry cold. We've had our rosemarys for several years. Would love to have some of those fresh eggs. Over 30 years ago a friend taught me how to make ornaments from egg shells. Some of them are hanging on our tree and many have been shared with others. I decorate them in various ways. Paint, decopauge, dioramas. I am currently working on a few done with goose egg shells that I have been fortunate to acquire. It is essential to have a strong shell. I clean the eggs well. Then prick shell with a point of manicure scissors. Carefully cut a hole large enough to expell the insides. Carefully cut an oval opening to expose enough of the inside to work with. Soak shell in a solution of water and bleach to sanitize. Remove all membrane that is possible. Air dry. Paint inside and out with Gesso. Paint and allow to dry about 3 times to strengthen the shell. Paint outside of shell with desired color. I use the acrylic craft paint. Allow to dry. Then paint inside of shell. If desired small pictures my be decopauged to the shell. (I like to use cutouts from old Christmas cards that are small enough to fit). The inside can also be painted and decopauged if desired. Glue a decorative covering around the cut edge of the opening. Decorative sewing braids or laces will work. Glue on strands of beads, gems, or whatever is desired. When outside is finished place small objects inside to create a scene. I am working on 5 decorations now. On two of them I am using a Nativity theme, one with the manger scene and another with the wise men.. I got the small figures at a Craft store. On two others I have decopauged small animal scenes on the outside. Stlll need to decide what to do with the inside. On a smaller eggshell I have decopauged the little bears in bed from the 'Sleepytime' tea box on the inside of the shell. Still have to decide what to do with the outside. Glue one narrow strand of ribbon or cord around the center of the eggshell and tuck under another ribbon or cord at top to create a loop for hanging. It is time consuming but the result is a one of a kind ornament that can never be reproduced or replaced. I use the 'tacky' craft glue. The expelled egg whites and yolks are used for baking or scambled eggs. I only do a few at a time. The ornaments have been given to family and special friends thru the years. Our family also appreciates crocheted ornaments, dish cloths, afghans... We appreciate reading of your activities.. and the creative things are you doing. Tell us about what you plan to do with your yarns and the kinds of ceramics you create. I also enjoy working with corn husks and cloth and thread. EP

• gldno1
    18 years ago

Good morning.

EP, I am always amazed at all the creative things you do. Compared to you, I would say I am more a craftsman. I like to build things, do carpentry, etc. The yarns are for knitting and crocheting....following patterns. Many years ago I painted some, but wasn't happy with the results, so gave it up. I just saw your corn husk nativity on another forum. It is just beautiful.

I just looked out and we have a light covering of snow outside, but it isn't too cold yet at 19°. DH tells me the cold is supposed to be tonight....which means we will have to recheck everything to be sure they can withstand those temps. We keep the truck with a drop light plugged in and we have heaters on the tractors so all should be well.

Yesterday, the water heater in the milk parlor was out. DH always calls me for those things (I told you I was that kind of person). I just needed to push the reset button on the top heating element. Hope that doesn't mean something is getting ready to go out on it. It isn't critical, but it is really nice to have hot water out there for thawing dog bowls or cleaning up something.

We have a new puppy and he got into the livin room from the back porch during the night and attacked the Christmas tree skirt that I made back during the seventies. I now have a one-legged Santa on the skirt! DH heard him "treeing" it and put him back on the porch. I can't believe I slept through the whole thing.

I have been up since 2:30 a.m. I do this sometimes, don't know why. Oh well, if need be, I can always nap this afternoon.

I still havent' taken my dormant cuttings.....I really want to try this method. I hope I am not too late to do it.

Kaye, thanks for the picture and info. We have 3 or 4 old wood stoves (antique iron varieties) in one of the sheds that I could use if need be. I just haven't decided if I can justify the expense of the gh just for my delight! I do have a good plant light stand that holds 12 flats on the back porch that should be enough for anyone. One more question I thought of: Is the greenhouse insulated (i.e., double wall poly? I had a home-made pvc pipe and poly hoop house that lasted for three years until a tornado took it off it's base. It was not very tight and I really didn't use it during very cold weather.
    gd

• kaye
    18 years ago

Wishing here I was more creative and would love to see pictures of EP's handiwork.

gd, yes, our gh is insulated with double poly with an air layer blowing between. Last year, when we switched to wood heat, we also put foam insulation on the north wall up about 3'. That really seemed to help some. This morning, it looks just like the picture from last year..covered with snow! Got about 2" during the night.

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

Kaye (everyone) when you have time your are invited to open our picturetrail photo page link on our Page and view anything there. One album is for creativity. I might add a few pictures eventually. Thanks for the comments. EP

• gldno1
    18 years ago

We just got about 1 inch of snow, but it got very cold, 4°. It is up to 30 now, much better, feels almost warm.

I had a surprising day yesterday. About 7:30 AM our neighbor called and asked me to babysit her two boys, 12 and 7, while she went to the doctor. The schools has canceled because of the weather and her mother was staying with an elderly neighbor. We have known the boys since they were born and didn't mind at all. The boys and I made (I made, they decorated) Christmas sugar cookies and I made a batch of fudge. I had just fixed lunch when she got back from the appointment, so she joined us in lunch. I must say I was pooped when they left, but it got me moving in the Christmas baking direction which I needed. Then DH's mother called and asked us to babysit FIL this Saturday. He is legally blind and she was having the "girls" from church to a Christmas dinner and he didn't want to join them. We will pick him up and bring him out to the farm and she will come get him. He doesn't drive at all anymore. I think I will make chili for us and we can have the cookies for dessert.

The new puppy is doing well.....except he got into the living room after we went to bed the other night and attacked the tree skirt that I had made in 1976. I now have a one-legged Santa and a very shortened candle on the skirt.
    We put up one of those expandable kiddie doors now so he should be safe on the back porch.

I finally brought all my yarns down, but still haven't started anything yet....must get something going tonight.

EP, going to check out your picturetrail site shortly.

Hope everyone enjoyed their snow and the extreme cold did no damage.

gld

• louannie
    18 years ago

Hello everyone,

I know I'm not from the Ozarks, but as I said in another post, my mom has a cabin around the Mulberry River, so I am in Arkansas a lot. When I'm not there, I love to dream about being there!

I loved reading about all your winter "doin's"...made me feel warm and cosy inside. Here, today, it is almost 60 degrees and I'm not even using any heat (although I am very cold-natured and would have some on if it were not so expensive! I just dress warmly.) There are still leaves on the ground and we are working on getting them up...mowing and mulching like the other person from LA said. The ones that are near a flower bed or line of bushes or the fence just get thrown up there. I have very long, ugly chain-link fence all the way down my driveway, and you all probably know how "stuff" just comes up along them. I have been working on smothering all that "stuff" out in the two years I've been here. It's getting better...but now I have to get on the neighbors' side and work on it! I have plans to grow vines or roses on it in the near future to try to completely cover it up. Don't want to get rid of it, as it keeps the neighbors' small kids out of my driveway.

What I do for flower beds is just put down newspaper, pile leaves on top of that (chopped, if possible, but whole if not), then put pine straw on top of that. When I'm ready to plant something, I just pull it all back. The soil in my yard is SO nice, friable and black. When we are at the cabin and we try to plant something, I am just amazed at all the rocks! How do you guys plant anything...do you have to dig the rocks out or do you just do raised beds? I also put horse manure on top when I can...a friend who has horses will just load up my truck for me with his front-end loader! Plants love that stuff!

My hydrangeas only bit the dust in the past week or so...my yard seems to have a microclimate to it. I notice that things bloom or leaf out later in the spring here and also stay alive longer in the fall/early winter. Strange.

My daughter (11) was mad because when December got here it was like summertime. She said it wasn't "Christmasy". But that's the way it is around here. I would love to live in NW Ark., but I would HAVE to have a warm house!

On the agastache...I want to try some of that...right now I have three little plants in a pot that came up from some seeds. It's the blue kind. The seed pkg. said "Korean hyssop". I am going to plant it out this spring. I would love to have that apricot-colored kind I've seen in the catalogs, can't remember the exact name.

I got a Bluestone Perennials catalog Saturday and drooled for days. I have some coupons from my last order and I am dying to use them...one is for any solidago 3-pack, and I am going to order some of those "Fireworks" goldenrods. Pallen (that's what I call P. Allen Smith because that's what his name looks like in his web site address!) has some in his yard, and they are gorgeous! Do any of you have those?

I've also been watching the Japanese Maples specials on worldplants.com, just daring myself to order some. I would dearly love to just fill my yard with Japanese Maples. Never met one I didn't like! They'll be all sold out or put in pots for spring before too long, and I'll kick myself. Well, what can I say, I'm cheap!

I waste a lot of time on this computer, reading about gardening, researching plants I'm interested in, posting here. :-) I really need to be vacuuming! But really, gardening can be done nearly year-round here...I could be out today, planting those pearl bushes I raised from seed, if I didn't have things to do in the house. I homeschool my kids, so I don't have as much time for outside work as I'd like.

You all sound so nice, I would love to be able to meet some of you someday. I enjoy reading about your chickens and such...I would love to have some chickens, but I live in town. It's a rural town, though, so I still consider myself a country girl! When we go to the cabin, I just love being out in the middle of nowhere. I would love to be there sometime when a small snow comes.

Do any of you read Tim Ernst's Cloudland Journal on his website? (I call him Ternst.) That helps keep me dreaming about Arkansas also!

Well, I've rambled long enough. The kids are getting ready for lunch, and I've got to make a stab at some housework. I hope to get to know you all better! Pardon any typos, don't have time to go back and look for them. :-)

• christie_sw_mo
    18 years ago

Welcome Louannie! I'm not as jealous of your warm weather as I am your "nice, friable and black" soil. What's that?! I have pale clayish dirt between my rocks here and I don't try to remove them all, although I do remember picking many rocks out of our vegetable garden when I was a kid.
    I've been drooling over the Bluestone catalog this week too. So glad their prices are reasonable. It seems like there wasn't very many new items this time though. I did see heucherella 'Quicksilver' which has been on my wish list and I think I will order it since it's supposed to do well in dry shade. I have doubts though.

Chance of snow Saturday! Maybe I should start my Christmas shopping. lol

• Yolanda71361
    18 years ago

Louanni...I understand just how you feel about posting on this forum. When I first posted I told these fine people how I was spending alot of time in the Ozarks and they made me feel very comfortable and welcomed. I have nothing but great things to say about each and everyone in this group. I plan on starting my tomato seeds after the first of the year. I will try to grow all of my transplants this year or as many as I can. I already have my seeds. By the way I am located in Central Louisiana. Which part are you in?

Merry Christmas to all!!!

• ceresone
    Original Author
    18 years ago

well, its cold this morning! anything you didnt know? supposed to get snow flurries over the weekend.
    Can you believe the controversies over saying "happy holidays, or Merry Christmas? wonder why we have the holidays if not for the birth of Christ, which, i admit have wandered from the true meaning.
    Now, to seed catalogs!! I never have enough, this is the only time of the year, i plant a absolutely perfect garden- in my mind!I have orders made out to Baker Creek, Totally Tomatoes, and Park Seed, so far.--as far as starting seeds, i'm going to try to hold off (and back) this year. i planted too early last year and too many, in my enthasium over getting my seed rack!
    someone asked about the ceramics i'm painting, i've done a wildlife wreath for my daughter(if i can give it up) a water pitcher and bowl for my DIL, and gnomes for another daughter. my son had a 3' tall rabbit, as a joke. the shop we do ceramics has a co-owner that is a professional artist, but he is also declining fast, expected to maybe last till Christmas. the last piece he painted was another wildlife wreath for me to give my husband.lots of meaning there.
    This is a slow time of year on the farm, we do chores morning and night, get fireplace wood in to supplement the gas furnace--and get caught up on reading! just finished Patterson's 4th of July. every pre-concieved idea you formed was wrong! good book.
    I have a SIL in louisiana, lives near Minden. every time it gets near zero, i think how nice it would be to live in a warmer climate--but despite the problems snow causes the area, and on the farm, i do love a good snowstorm.
    We've decided to let the grand-parents take care of all the kids this year, guess thats the advantage of being great-grandparents, if you cant afford it, you dont have to.
    My, that does make me old!!guess i'd better go back up to the fire--take care all.

• louannie
    18 years ago

MERRY CHRISTMAS, everyone!

(I'm not actually a real "Christmasy" person, but just thought I'd make it clear where my allegiance lies.) :-)

I'm in Central LA also, and I also have friends who live in Minden. It's a very nice town.

I am so very proud of my "dirt"...everywhere in this yard I have sunk a shovel, so far, I've turned up beautiful dirt. I don't know how it got here, just God's blessing, I guess. This is the first house I've ever owned (45 yrs. old, been married 22 yrs.!), and I've always loved growing things, but you know how it is when you're renting, you don't want to invest a lot of money in things you are going to go off and leave. In my last place I planted a couple of things that I dug up and brought with me, and satisfied my itch somewhat with some annuals.

We moved here in November a couple of years ago, and I spotted a pile of pine straw in a neighbor's yard. He said I could have it, and also pointed out his "yard mowing" pile...leaves and grass clippings mixed, and said to get all I wanted! I cleaned it out! I'm telling you, that stuff brought earthworms as big as ground rattlers, and made the fluffiest soil!

My yard is fairly big, a little over an acre, and while it has some NICE old trees and shrubs, it had been a little neglected the last few years. The owners were old and hadn't even lived full time in the house for a long time...they were just keeping the "old home place" for sentimental reasons and stayed in it on weekends some. The man had plenty of money to keep it up and did for a long time, but the last few years his wife got Alzheimer's and then cancer, so I had (and still have!) some clearing out and cleaning up to do. If only I could just get Pallen to come do it all in one fell swoop! Doesn't he do the loveliest things? But that would be an impossibility on my budget (barring a miracle, which I always leave room for!). :-)

The lady who lived here before me must have been a lot like me...all kinds of plans but not enough time to carry them out! She had pots of all kinds of stuff lying around, mostly daylilies, but also some irises and hostas. I dumped one supposedly empty pot out by the compost pile that first fall and found a hosta growing right on top of the ground the next spring! LOL

Those irises I mentioned...they are very small, with white flowers. I thought they might have been so small because they were in a pot, but I have since had them in the ground a whole growing season and they are still small. Is there such a thing as a dwarf iris? Anyway, they went perfectly in my "white" garden in my "courtyard" (understand, since I haven't been at this long, most of this stuff is still in my dreams in my head!).

Ceresone, I am so glad to hear that your husband is still with you...of course, I don't know the whole story, but I'm assuming he has cancer or something. Makes me feel very grateful for my family's health!

Christie, I sympathize with you on the soil thing. My mom and I have planted a few things at the cabin, and I was just amazed. I don't see how ANYTHING grows in the mountains! LOL She hauled in some topsoil to make a few little beds right next to the cabin, and I told her we were just going to have to find native or mountain plants for the bigger places. We won't be planting a lot, just close to the cabin, because the natural scenery is pretty enough. There is a little branch in the back that needs no adornment (it even has a beautiful old stone wall built on the other side of it!), and a little spot across the "road" that faces the front porch and has a little bit of "level" spot before it goes up the mountain...we are going to try to put some stuff there to look at when we're on the porch. Has to be drought tolerant, as we won't be there to baby it.

We are going Chrismas shopping today, and I dread it. Today and tomorrow are "state tax-free" shopping days, and I figure it will be crazy. When the kids are grown, I am literally going to be a hermit. My dream would be to live at the cabin and hardly ever have to go to a mall again. Well, as long as I'm dreaming, let's make that never!

I never did get an answer from the person who found that 'Autumn Moon' Japanese maple at the nursery in Fayetteville. I can't remember what their name was, but the thread subject was "Look what I found!" Does anyone know that person and what may be going on with them? I've been preparing a spot for one of those nearly ever since I moved here, breaking up the soil, digging deep, mounding the soil, putting in leaf mold (it never really did get to the compost stage), horse manure. I really, really want one of those. I hope I picked a good spot. Does anyone know if they are hard to move? I mean, I know it wouldn't be hard, but I'm wondering if they don't like to be moved once they're planted, like peonies.

I have a peony in my "courtyard"...I know they are not supposed to grow well here, but since my courtyard stays cooler, I thought it might do. It didn't do well this summer (I'm thinking because of the soil), but it is still alive. I moved it to a "nursery" bed this fall because I am digging hardpan out of the ground, and going to put it back...it may sulk and die. Oh yeah, that is the only place I've found terrible dirt is right next to the house in my courtyard. There used to be some back porch steps there, I think, and it looks like some bricks literally decomposed in the soil or something. I spent three days on one part of the beds this fall, digging out that stuff to about a foot down and adding my "compost" to the good soil that was left. Whew! That's the only thing about all this, I'm about to be too old to do the kind of work it takes!

Well, you guys must think all I do is talk, but really not, it's just that I don't have anyone "in person" to talk about gardening with! I've got to go now and get lunch for the kiddos, then make the dreaded trek to the shrines of excess and commercialism. :-) Bye for now!

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

ceresone, your ceramics sound beautiful. Have you found a market for your eggs. Hope you and your husband can continue having some time together. At this point in time we feel blessed to have one another. Christie, we've enjoyed reading of your gardening and family for the past 3 years. I love agastache but the only one that has been hardy has been the rugosum. It is very fragrant and a magnet for butterflies. I've tried others and hoped they would be hardy. Two of the things I like best, agastaches and lavenders, are the ones that have not survived long. We have 2 lavenders hanging on. I keep buying more as long as I can find any. I think the moles dig air pockets under some of our plants. The salvias have done well. Kaye, we always appreciate your sharing. We haven't had a lot of luck with roses either, but the rugosas and bourbons are doing OK so far. gld.. it is always interesting to read your posts. Nice that we have 'company' stopping by from Louisiana. I've been enjoying finishing up the eggshell ornaments. It's been an ongoing thing for so long to make a few new ones each year to give away or keep. This year they are going to be keepers. I tried taking a picture but it remains to be seen if it will be useable. If so I will post it eventually. I'm still using a Canon autofocus. We made tamales this week. Christmas tamales have been traditional with us for decades. The dry cold continues. Our rock walls, hollies, and nandinas provide winter interest. Wish all the best. EP

• ceresone
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Merry Christmas, everyone!
    Sorry, I just dont go along with happy holidays.
    Just wanted to let everyone know if you didnt get up early, you missed a white Christmas! at 5 am, the deck , ground, and roof was covered with snow!--then, it changed over to rain.probably dosent seem thrilling to those of you that have snow on ground, but, please remember, we didnt get any snow last year.
    Children-and grandchildren are grown now, with families of their own, and wont be here, but I still get up early-I can hear in my mind the excitement when they all rushed to the tree, as early as they could get up. One daughter was always mad, cause her sister pried her eyes open, to make her get up!!now, they're grandma's.
    So this year, its the great-grandchildrens turn.
    Merry Christmas, again, and remember why we're celebrating!