SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

journal 3 December 2009

rob333 (zone 7b)
14 years ago

The zinnias finally died last night; guess winter is at hand. I've made a pot of turkey stew (just turkey, chicken stock, potatoes, carrots, and some herbs) to take to my mom's house to try and begin a tradition. Last year, I'd made a creamy soup of some sort after Thanksgiving and mom delved into her cupboards for us to put a meal together. If we do it two years in a row, that begins a tradition, right? Today, she's come up with some rolls that she'll make into garlic bread, ginger ale, and some brownies. I'm looking forward to it. I finally brought myself to put up the Christmas tree. I couldn't do it, thinking, this may be the last "big" Christmas I have for awhile. Yesterday, we've all (he, I, and the lawyers) finally decided I'll stay in the house another few months, so I guess I "keep the house". More than once today, I've almost let myself plan for next year's garden. Almost. I've just lost all trust on this yo-yo yanking journey. I keep telling myself to unpack the boxes and breathe easy, but I just can't for fear. In the back of my mind, it's not done. I did have a big revelation about myself this past weekend, the house is my current "identity". That's why I can't let go of it. What is to become of "me" once it's gone? Everything is wrapped up in it.

My past identities have been, Susie's sister, Ann's daughter, LF's mom, etc... and each time I've shed those, I pick up another one that isn't solely me. I don't know who I am. At this late stage of the game, after all the searching, I still don't know. I know I am a fish out of water who misses the beach. I know I am a musician. I know I am a gardener. I know I am a great mom. I know I am a daughter. I know I have a great work ethic. I know loads of things that I am, but what do I yearn to reflect my soul? I don't know. It's time to choose, on my own and only for me. Choose is the operative word here. For the first time, I refuse to have it thrust upon me. I reject that idea. And that scares the heck outta me since I don't know what it should be. But I know I will enjoy this evening, being someone's mom, daughter, sister, and cook. That's enough to get by for today. Right? Clean slates are a good thing. What you write, is up to you. Good thing this all happens right here when everyone else is getting their clean slate (New Year's), that way I can weather it with company.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions