SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flicka_85

I made it!!!

flicka_85
17 years ago

Hey everybody, I have made it to Oklahoma!! My hubby and I have been working on this move for a long time and I am finally here. He has been here in a little rental house since Labor Day and he has loved it. I finally got the house sold in Minnesota and we packed up everything and drove down a few days ago. We are waiting now to close on our new house near McAlester and hopefully that will happen tomorrow! Yipee!

Before you tell me how hot it is I have been watching the weather back home in Minnesota and they get to the lower 40's at night and 60's during the day and have been having rain...not a good soaking rain but that nasty drizzle that doesn't do much but make you run the intermittent windshield wipers and keep everything wet and gray skies. Sometimes you don't see the sun for days on end. Then when it does emerge it is like a sauna!

Anyway I am so happy to finally be here. It is really pretty here and the people are sooooo friendly! It is really great. I brought some plants with me because the ones I sent down in Feb didn't make it for the most part. I think I did them in last fall! The ones I brought are doing ok. I have had to shade them from the sun as it has burned a few already even though they are on the east side tight against the house. That is fine though as they will be in their new home soon. I brought some hosta, day lillies, tiger lillies and jack in the pulpits. I have a couple other little wild flowers too so we will see how it goes. Most are plants that were given to me by my mom so I wanted to bring some of them.

Our new place has a heavier sandy loam. Lots of clay but not too bad. There are lots of leaves to add for humus and use for mulch as well as cattle and horses to use for fertilizer production!

This is really a great state and I am anxious to get into the new house and get started gardening both vegetable and flower.

Here is a question. Do you have to dig up dahlias and gladiolas in the winter? In Minnesota if you want them you must dig them up and store them in the basement so they don't freeze. How much cold can they handle?

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Sandy

Comments (5)