SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
p_mac

it's raining!!!!

p_mac
13 years ago

Thanks, Jay, for sending some down this way!!! It's pouring here in NE Norman! I can almost hear the ground slurping....

Paula

Comments (44)

• scarlettfourseasonsrv
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Paula,

My ground isn't exactly slurping up here in Washington County. In fact it was sort of green on top when I hoed aound my corn 2 days ago. Now it's rained again overnight, and still coming with more expected. Even though my soil has good drainage, I'm concerned about too much of a good thing. And also disease issues which could ensue with the tomatos and high humidity.
    To all of you who really NEEDED the rain, I'm happy for you. I know how that can be as well. We are indeed a land of extremes here in Okieland.

The summer's just getting started. It's always an adventure for we gardeners.

Barbara

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Paula,
    Lucky you! What a wonderful way to begin the day, with a nice rainfall.

Remember, if you get too much, send the extra rain down here to sunny and dry southcentral OK.

Actually, hold that rain another two weeks. My peach crop is close to full size and ripening well and a heavy rain now likely would split the skins and make the fruit mushy. In two weeeks or so after we've harvested all the peaches, I'll be praying for a flood.l

Barbara,

There is such a thing as too much rain, and I hope that none of y'all get so much that your gardens flood and your soil stays too wet too long....not to mention all the fungal and bacterial diseases, radial and concentric cracking of tomatoes, etc.

I looked at the Mesonet map and some places have had between 4" and 6" since midnight. That's kind of crazy.

Dawn

• Related Discussions

Vandas outside when it's raining, raining, raining???

Q

Comments (13)
    OK, thanks everyone, you've put this 'worrywort's' mind at rest! Howard,my GH is very small and serves me only for the winter months. I can heat it when necessary, but cooling it doesn't work! Our summer temps are just too hot for the building I use, actually a glass house. I have an attached screen house where all the lower light plants stay during the summer and do well. But the high light guys I try to keep outside. Rain this time of year is very unusual for us, my rain barrels are overflowing :))). Since you've given me an OK, I'm going to put the rhyncostylis plants out too and let them enjoy all the rain. Happy growing. Sheila :)
    ...See More

It's Raining It's Pouring

Q

Comments (15)
    Just curious about the "no watering." Does that mean with municipal watering? Or, does it include private wells too? After all, if it is an aquafer water supply, it would all come from the same water supply, just not treated water. Who out there has a private well for irrigation? We have an "irrigation meter" which is cheaper than the household water supply because the gallons we use for irrigation do not return in the sewer system. The charge for the sewer treatment is more than the charge for water. Mobile is lucky to have within its County the entire lake from which our water supply comes. Of course now they are trying to DEVELOP around it, and thinking of a big highway right through it, but hopefully common sense will prevail there. When I see how the water supply for the wild birds and small creatures is so important, it draws more of them to my gardn than a food supply does, I know it is a critical element in the future of a metropolitan area as well. Never take water for granted.
    ...See More

It's raining, it's pouring....

Q

Comments (8)
    I love the rain too. I love when it pours and it's windy. I don't mind days of it, but I do like to get a sunny day just as much. I love snow too. I think I love changing weather. I would find it hard to live in let's say Los Angeles and have the same weather for long stretches of time. Even nice weather. Funny you should mention it terrene, about gardeners being more attuned to weather/nature. I was just thinking about that last weekend. Sunday morning I was watching the news and the anchors were talking about how great it had been to 'finally' get outside when it was so nice on Saturday, the 19th of May and that one of them had seen their neighbors who they hadn't seen since before the winter. I was so surprised because I had been getting outside about 3x a day every day with few exceptions, since the middle of March! lol I have to think that gardeners spend much more time outdoors than many non gardeners.
    ...See More

More Rain And its Raining Now.

Q

Comments (6)
    More great photos. I used to have Zephyranthes but left them at my last place, they were hard to keep under control but are very pretty after the rain. Aggies always put on a great display, mine are just finishing so time for their heads to come off. Gerberas always put on a good display but mine don't seem to be doing as well at the moment, probably too much humidity. I bet the birds love the grevilleas and the rose is pretty too.
    ...See More
  • Lisa_H OK
    13 years ago

I have a river flowing down my street. I'm trying to decide if I should call the boss.

I peaked at my rain gauge...I haven't seen it that high in a very long time (Dawn, it reminds me of the summer when it rained and rained and rained.) I can't even gauge it, probably at least four inches.

Lisa

• Lisa_H OK
    13 years ago

The news is saying the mesonet station between my house and my work is saying 7.1 inches has fallen.

Lisa

• shankins123
    13 years ago

Yikes! I didn't even look out at my rain gauge before I went to work this morning...too wet and too dark. I wonder what I'll find when I get home today. It rained SO hard for SO long that the 7" isn't quite as incredible to think of as it might seem. I knew it was really hard and heavy because of the "plink, plink" coming down the vent pipe above my water heater :( Oh, well...new roof in a few weeks!

Sharon

• boomer_sooner
    13 years ago

I have gotten no rain today in east norman. Just missed it. :(

• Lisa_H OK
    13 years ago

Sharon, I just dumped 7 inches out of the gauge. I only had one inch left, so I figured I'd better start over.

Lisa

• greenacreslady
    13 years ago

It started pouring here in southwestern Logan County at a quarter til 4 and has only let up a couple of times. I'm not even attempting to drive to work in Oklahoma City because one of the major roads on my route is closed, and my husband attempted to drive to his office in Edmond in his 4WD truck and he turned around and came home because of high water. The local TV channels are reporting flooding all over the Oklahoma City/Edmond/Deer Creek area, and are now beginning to say this is shaping up to look like a historical rain event. One even used the word catastrophic. All roads around Will Rogers World Airport are closed, as well as many other roads all around the metro including Broadway Extension and parts of I-35. Up til now the southern metro areas like Norman haven't received much rain, but it's now developing down there too. They're warning people to keep children indoors because of the concern that with school out, kids will do what kids love to do and get out and play in the rain and will be swept away in running water. They're now reporting that 8.91 inches have fallen in northeastern Oklahoma County, and it's far from being over. And on a garden note, one person called in and said their backyard garden had floated out to the front yard and down the street :(.

Suzie

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Lisa,

I saw that 7" on a map The Weather Channel was displaying about 45 minutes ago, and I looked at it and thought to myself "Uh oh, Lisa's rain gauge is overflowing". I just knew from looking at the map that you were getting it.

Just remember, I will happily relinquish my title of Queen of the One-Day Rainfall to any of you who get more than the 12.89" of rain in a 24-hour period. When we set that new state record here last year, I wondered how long it would hold the record. Today, I'm thinking the record may fall!

I'd love to have rain, but not THAT much. I have too many tomatoes breaking color and getting close to that stage, and heavy rain would cause radial and concentric cracking of the tomatoes. (So, Stacey, it is good the heavy rain missed you in this case...for the sake of your tomatoes.)

Sharon, If you look out the windows at work, you may see Lisa in her car floating down the roadway. I'm glad the new roof is coming soon...we are seeing flatbed trucks of shingles moving through Love County on I35 every day at a rate I've never seen before. They say the manufacturers cannot make the shingles fast enough right now to fix all the damaged roofs in OK and elsewhere.

Y'all be careful. I just know that someone in central OK and OKC right now there's cars floating and people in danger. Why in the world do we have to have such wild extremes here? We never have mild and gentle weather, we have wild and crazy extreme weather.

So, ice, sleet, snow, thundersleet, thundersnow, tornadoes, hail of every shape and size, flooding, flash flooding, torrential rainfall, heat bursts, downbursts.....is there any form of extreme weather that Oklahoma hasn't had yet this year?

Dawn

• scarlettfourseasonsrv
    13 years ago

Flash flood warnings as well in parts of NC and NE Oklahoma including Washington County. I worry about my son working from job to job in the OKC, and Norman area.

Barbara

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Thanks for the current news, Suzie. We don't get a lot of OKC news down here in southern OK except via the website of The Oklahoman. I was watching The Weather Channel but turned it to Nick Jr. for Maddie a few minutes ago, so now I can't "see" what's happening, but they were already showing some cars floating in water on a roadway or two.

I'm glad you stayed home and that your DH turned around and came back. It isn't worth the risk and you don't want to end up on one of the news stations in footage featuring a person being rescued from a tree or from the roof of their car.

I hope parents keep their kids away from the rushing torrents of water in creeks and drainage areas and such. It seems like a child always drowns in conditions like this and it is so preventable.

I'd tell y'all to send me your extra rain, but I don't really want that much rain until the peaches and plums are harvested. Feel free to send it to Jay, or to Jan, although she had a lot of rain yesterday and may not want more.

I can see why gardens would be floating down the streets. Just imagine all the mulch and topsoil that will be washed out of beds today. One year, and I believe it was 2006, we had 9.25" of rainfall in about 8 hours, and 8" of that fell in just a couple of hours. It carried full bags of mulch from one family's home down into a creekbed, and into a yard across the street and UPHILL about 300 yards. It also carried off large containers full of soil and plants. That is exactly the same kind of rain y'all are having today.

Dawn

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

Dawn, I'm pretty sure we're gunning for your weather crown. We're at 9" and the rain is not stopping. Water rescues are numerous and on-going. One young lady, who's SUV was swept off the road, crawled out of her car and climbed a tree to escape the rushing waters. Most water rescues now are via boats as the water is just too high to risk it otherwise.

The local news keeps broadcasting shots of what looks like vehicles that have driven into the lake.... nope, it's a parking lot near Quail Springs Mall. Several low lying areas in town have cars completely submerged. My poor backyard has a flowing river running through it and our area doesn't have a creek or any body of water nearby. I've never seen that happen before and we've lived in this home since '94.

Ironically, we were south of Austin this past week where they had record rainfall (12" overnight), significant flooding which turned deadly when it moved into Arkansas. Definitely historic levels.

• joellenh
    13 years ago

Lots of rain in the Tulsa/Jenks area. I am grateful, but a little worried because it's just not stopping!

• boomer_sooner
    13 years ago

We are getting rain/sprinkle here now, thank goodness.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Lynn, If your rainfall surpasses ours, I'll schedule the official Rainfall Queen Royal Coronation for the next plant swap and will bestowe upon you the Official Faux Diamond Tiara at that time. You must wear the tiara at all times when making official royal appearances. It is quite a responsibility.

It does scare me that the flooding apparently is following you around. I thought the flooding was very scarey in the New Braunfels area (and of course it was) and then the flooding hit Arkansas and in the worst possible timing and manner. My heart just goes out to each and every person involved in all that mess. It is heartbreaking to thing that family camping trips and church group trips met with such a sad end.

How does your garden look from inside the house? Can you see it? Did it float away? Is it under water? Treading water? Climbing up onto the roof to escape the raging waters?

One good thing about having sloping land like ours is that the water runs through the garden like a river but doesn't sit and pool very long except at the north end where there are no raised beds. The downside is that the north end of the garden ended up with 2 to 3" of soil ON TOP OF the mulch. That soil is still there. I just planted into it this year, and added mulch on top of that. It is lasagna gardening of a sort. I wasn't going to dig out the soil on top of the mulch in a 20' x 20' area. I figure one of these days, if enough soil washes down into that area, I'll end up with a raised bed there too. I think the soil came from next door because it was sandy clay and not improved garden soil.

I'm seeing some shocking footage from OKC. Don't people pay attention and know not to try to drive through moving water on roadways? I am sure some people were caught unawares....flash flooding can cause such a very swift rise in water, but still, some people apparently didn't listen to the news this morning!

DH is outside mowing like a maniac, trying to get the jungle cut before any rain falls here, if any rain falls. So much rain has missed us so many times these last few weeks that I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

I need to go outside when it cools off (heat index right at 100 right now) and pick a couple hundred tomatoes at the breaker stage so they won't have radial or concentric cracking from any rain that might fall. You know that if I decide rain is coming and pick the tomatoes now, no rain will fall. Conversely, if I decide no rain will reach us and leave the tomatoes, we'll get 3" of rain tonight and my tomatoes will suffer a severe loss of texture and flavor. Maybe I'll pick half and see what happens.

Joellen, Oh, your poor garden. It is sad that rain around here only comes in two quantities "too little" and "too much".

Stacey, Be careful what you wish for. Too much rain is horrible for tomato plants and especially for ripening fruit. I try to harvest right before a big rainfall to avoid the radial and concentric cracking rain can bring, and the accompanying loss of flavor and good texture.

We won't even talk about all the disease issues rain brings. Eventually, we'll have to talk about that but not yet.

Dawn

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Dawn, it seems so like Oklahoma that your heat index is 100 and our air temp is 68 degrees right now in OKC. Only in Oklahoma would we experience that.

They got that woman out of the tree that she was swept into from her car. Three firefighters went out to rescue her in one of the air boats and their boat took on so much water that they were stranded with her. Four more boats were dispatched to rescue the woman and the firefighters, and were successful in retrieving them.

Also heard reports that today is trash day in much of the city, and one lady found 7 trash cans in her driveway and trash dumped all over her yard.

Close to me we had flooding at the intersection of Western and N.W. 36th Streets. I cannot see any flooding directly around me, as far as Classen and my street. Cars are moving along at their regular clip. The parking lot at N.W. Expressway and Classen, however, was flooded. I don't know what the drainage ditch is doing that runs along I-44 just about 1/2 mile from me, but I'm sure it is strained at best. No worries - I'm not going anywhere til tomorrow!

News reports say now that more rain is headed this way from the Southwest. Goody, goody! Kenna and I are enjoying our down time, but it won't be long before she is ready to get outside.

Lisa, I hope all of our plants don't drown.

Susan

• greenacreslady
    13 years ago

Well I can only speak for myself but I'd be very happy to let Dawn keep the Official Rain Queen crown, lol. However Channel 9 is now showing a rain total of 11.2 inches at Coffee Creek & Broadway in Edmond, and the mesonet shows 10.21 inches at the north OKC station, and MORE rain is building south of the metro area so we're probably going to have even higher 24 hour totals.

We had 3 loads of dirt brought in last week in preparation for the gravel drive for our new building, and the man doing the work installed two tinhorns and leveled all the dirt out so nicely over them. About 45 minutes after the heavy rain started early this morning I told my husband that I wondered how much of that dirt was now in Marty's yard (our neighbor all the way at the north end of our street where all the water runs). Once the sun came up we could see that not all the dirt had been washed away thankfully but some of it was. Oh well .... I'll take that over the flooding that many people are experiencing right now. I was horrified to see the footage of the flooded neighborhoods in Edmond because they are within a mile of our son's home. Thankfully his home is still in a dry area but he said there is flooding all around them. I've lived in the OKC area almost all my life and am one of the many people today who are saying "I've never seen anything like this here." Rain rain go away ...... please!!!!

Suzie

• Lisa_H OK
    13 years ago

Susan, me too!! I live on a slight hill, so my house is pretty safe from flooding and the gardens out front drain pretty well. In the back I'm not sure where the water went, but it was certainly not flooded when I left this morning. I saw a little bit of standing water, but I expected to see a lake after 7 inches of rain. I'm sure the ground is super soggy though.

For once, I had all my plants in the ground! I picked up 2 more pipevines and 2 passion vines from Marilyn on Sat. I got them in the ground that night....they should be thoroughly watered in by now!

I have friends that still have holes in their roofs from the hail storm, both of them took on water again today.

Lisa

• Lisa_H OK
    13 years ago

Someone posted this pic....this is the drainage canal a couple of blocks from my house. This car got swept into the canal and then blocked the water. The person got out of the car.

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Village Dr and Carlton

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

Well, Suzie get ready as the rain just started pouring again here and I'm only a couple of miles south of you. Ugh! 11" and counting. We have flooded roads to the north, south, east and west of us so I don't think I'll be getting out today. lol

Yes, it was very sad to wake up to the flooding news while we were vacationing south of Austin. It was especially chilling to hear that the gentleman who drowned while camping along the river was a retired police officer from Wichita Falls, my hometown, as we have two retired police officers in our extended family. I was momentarily relieved when they announced his name but then immediately grieved for the family who lost a loved one.

On a lighter note, I'll be practicing my 'Queen Mum' wave in anticipation of the potential coronation. I do hope the faux diamonds in the tiara will play up my highlights. lol

Lynn

• Lisa_H OK
    13 years ago

I vote we let Lynn wear the tiara....she'll look so cute in it!

Lisa

• devilwoman
    13 years ago

If she's going to have a tiara then we should also arrange an orb and scepter to make the look complete. I think Lynn would look adorable in royal regalia! Maybe I need to start practicing my curtsies.

Debra

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Susan,

I guess the weather differences don't surprise me. When I always say my weather is more like Dallas's than OKC's, this is exactly what I mean. No matter what weather y'all are getting, mine is just the opposite most of the time. It is bizarre. The temp. has now dropped to a cool 93 and the heat index is only 96! We're clouding up and I hope the clouds stay...even a temperature drop of three or four degrees is an improvement.

Suzie,

The 2009 rainfall...not just that one day but the whole year (54" in an area more likely to have 34" in a year) wiped out our driveway and we had to have a new one put in around Christmas. It happened all over the county...rain carried away gravel little by little until there was nothing left. Our driveway had lasted 11 years though, so I can't complain. I hope yours doesn't wash out too badly.

Lisa, That was a horrible sight on the link you posted. I just can't imagine the mess there in central OK right now. When we have that kind of weather, everyone hunkers down and waits it out and then goes outside to view the damage, put fences back up, put up cattle who escaped while fences were down, etc. We have gently rolling hills here in the Red River Vally and most people (though not all) build on higher ground. There are oodles and oodles of drainage swales and swamps and sloughs and creeks to funnel the rain runoff to the river. In the city, with all that concrete, the water has fewer places to run and it shows! Look how high that water was.

I know Edmond is a mess and hope Moni and her family and her home are OK. She hasn't been online here today. Maybe she's out west visiting the grandchildren. I'm fairly certain she's not out riding her bike today unless she's traveled somewhere dry.

Lynn, Uh oh. You and Suzie could tie. I may have to obtain a second Faux Diamond Tiara. Do practice you wave as you'll be required to wave during the Rain Queen's Coronation Parade.

That much rain is ridiculous, by the way.

I am sorry to hear about the retired police chief who died. Tragedy strikes when least expected sometimes. The Fort Worth firefighter I mentioned in an earlier post is just astonished to be alive. How could he have survived being carried 32 miles downstream?

On another sad/relieved note, they have found the last body for which they were searching in Arkansas today, giving 'closure' to a grieving family who was hoping for the best but expecting the worst. There may be other unknown victims to be found, but at the present time, all the missing folks on the 'list' have been found.

Debra, Maybe we should commission a line of royal china as they do in Great Britain in celebration of a royal coronation. Why should the Rain Queen be treated any differently from the Queen of the British Empire? If you feel sufficiently well-practiced in the art of the curtsy, maybe you could give us all lessons. I believe I'm a little rusty.

We also could celebrate the royal coronation of the Rain Queen with a royal tea. High tea of course. Nothing but the best for our queen.

Dawn

• p_mac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dawn - perhaps the Royal China can be whatever design is offered next spring by Chinette? I think that would serve wonderfully at the next Spring Fling! Of course, any lovely leftovers would be good too.

We only got almost an inch here in NE Norman. Stacey - I can't believe all of it missed you! You're not that far from me! If fact, I've placed my pots of Tumbling Tom's Yellow on the front steps because they didn't get enough to drink. However, my rainbarrels are now almost full again so I'm a happy camper. The frogs have started singing again....perhaps I should record it for the Coronation music?

Dawn - just checked the evening news and it looks like you might get some moisture after all....

Paula

• pedmond
    13 years ago

It sure did rain. Here in SE Edmond my rain gauge said 11". About a half mile from where I live, Channel Nine said someone called in with 11 1/2" in their rain gauge. They also mentioned, Lake Arcadia had risen 13' since 4 am this morning and was rising one foot every hour.

It's been an interesting six months....record snow, hail and now rain......I'm ready for some normal weather, whatever that is.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Paula, A powerful storm rolled through quickly, but our rainfall total is now up to about 8/10s of an inch at our house for today. This storm had enough wind to bring down some trees and power lines in town. I was running madly around putting dogs, cats and chickens up into their nighttime sleeping quarters as the rain began falling and found two newly-hatched chicks hiding under their mama's wing. They were so tiny I had to lift them up over the threshold of the chicken coop. So, rainfall and chicks all in the same day. That's a pretty good day.

I like the Chinet idea. It seems appropriate for our situation, or maybe plastic plates by Solo would be more appropriate for the Rain Queen, because they'd float!

Phil, Whatever do you mean? Is this not normal weather for Oklahoma? We've only lived in Oklahoma 12 years and this is as normal as everything else we've experienced so far. lol

Y'all stay high and dry there in Edmond. I've been worried all of you up there are going to float away.

There's lots more storms on the radar, so someone (probably not me) will be getting more rain. We're headed out right now to go out to dinner. (I know, it IS late, but Tim had fire station business.) Hopefully we won't be floating home.

I'll check in with y'all later to see which one of you is building the ark and who's gathering two of each kind of vegetable and fruit-bearing plant to take onto the ark. C'mon, people, it cannot be animals....we're not Noah, we're gardeners!!!

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

Let's have a little "ark" history lesson. How many animals of each did Noah take on the Ark?

Now read Gen 7:2 and tell me how many.

• panhandlejan
    13 years ago

I hope all of you down Edmond-OKC way have not floated away or lost much of your garden. That storm dumped up to 15 in. just south of us in the far north Texas Panhandle. They were dealing with flooded roads yesterday, but the population is much less there and much less pavement and cement so the rain could soak in. I watched those big black heavy clouds yesterday evening as they left our area and headed east, knowing someone else was going to get a big storm. I really didn't think it would be another 10 in or more.

We ended up with 4.4 in and most of it did not run off. We were very dry and have sandy loam soil so the water really goes in to the ground. Our rain came over a 24 hour period so that also kept the run-off from being so bad.

Jay and Dawn, it has to be your turn now. Hope everyone is ok. Jan

• shankins123
    13 years ago

When I got home at 8 tonight, I emptied a FULL rain gauge...9 inches!! I can't believe it has just started raining again :( At least my little 8X8 raised garden is not water-logged...draining quite nicely, actually, and my rain barrels/buckets are full.

Got to go change the towel on top of my water heater!

Sharon

• p_mac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, now Carol - I just checked to confirm what my old feeble mind could recall from my more devout days - and it was two, one each of male and female but that was the "unclean". Of the "clean" - God told Noah to take them in sevens, as in pairs of male and female. In Genesis 7:3 He also gives instruction as to the fowls in the same manner....and it is to keep seed on the face of the earth!!! SO THAT'S how this whole garden thing started!!! Still not so sure I agree or understand the whole clean vs. unclean thing. It's kinda like the bug situations...ya gotta take the bad with the good.

And Noah was 600 years old and did all this!!!! How come we get so darned tired after a day in the garden? or worrying and measuring precipitation??!!

Jan - I know what you mean about watching the clouds. Tonite as I was out planting ANOTHER 10 pepper plants, I looked up and really didn't like the looks of the puffy cotton-ball clouds overhead. You know the kind - the ones that look like the bags you buy in the store? That usually means someone down the line is going to get some severe weather. I don't like those...not at all.

Dawn - hope you and OkieTim had a nice dinner! (and got back in before the rain hit!) I'm really beginning to think I want some chickens...there's got to be something I can do with all the grubs I'm finding besides throwing them to the surface for the crows!

Paula

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Carol, Oh, there you go with technicalities. I have been with a three year old for most of the last week and I was just keeping it simple...two by two into the ark, you know. We never see any kids' Noah's Ark sets with sevens! Y'all know that if we are going to do "sevenses", it has to involve tomatoes. Seven of each variety that we like? lol

Jan, Fifteen inches. That is crazy. Your 4.4" sounds like a manageable amount and I'm so glad you got such a nice soaking rain. Our turn may come yet as they've increased our chance of rain to 90%, but don't expect it to begin until after midnight.

I can see lightning to our northwest and think that must be the storms entering SW OK and making a beeline straight for Central OK. It still seems like central OK may get worse before it gets better.

I'm betting we don't get a whole lot, but anything is better than nothing and we're grateful for every raindrop. IF massive rain starts falling here and we lose power and the internet, you can keep track of "my" rainfall via the Mesonet. The closest station to us is Burneyville.

Our big rainfalls usually occur the last day or two of April....9.25" in one day in April 2006 and 12.89 in one day in April 2009, so since this is not April, we won't have a big rainfall. How's that for logic?

Sharon, That's such a lot of rain. I hope it is just a little leak over the water heater. At least this storm didn't have killer hail in it.

Paula, Yes ma'am, Tim and Maddie and I had a nice dinner and no one had to cook or clean up! That's my favorite kind. We're home and no more rain has fallen, but the Frog Chorus is going mad outside. Apparently the frogs really enjoyed the rain and are enjoying the cool but humid evening. Our house sits back 300' from the road and as we drove up the driveway, frogs jumped at us/away from us/over us/beside us from every direction. It was like driving through a swarm of bees or something, but they were frogs. OkieTim drove slow so no frogs were harmed.

Has anyone heard from Seedmama? Did she get rain? (Hopefully just enough and not too much.)

On our way to Gainesville to eat, Maddie was seeing animals in the cloud formations. I wish I had the imagination of a 3-year-old because she saw things I couldn't see. We left the house late because it took Maddie a while to put on her makeup. IMAGINARY makeup--not even little kids' play makeup...imaginary makeup sitting at her little vanity table in her room, telling us she was "almost ready" and "wait a minute--I'm putting on my makeup".

Tomorrow if it isn't raining, I'll try to get out to the garden early and then we're off for a trip to the playground.

Dawn

• mulberryknob
    13 years ago

I got up Sunday morn and spent an hour and a half dragging a hose around at the areas that didn't have soaker hoses, then turned it off and hooked up the splitter to four soakers and left it running while we went visiting in the middle of the day. Came home to a shower and turned off the hose. Got .4" with that one. Monday woke up to rain and got another .4". I wouldn't have watered if I'd known for sure it was coming, but so often this time of the year we get missed. Then at 3 am woke up to serious rain and this am had another 1.4". So that's a total of 2.2" since Sunday afternoon. We needed it, and it came spread out enough that we didn't get damage. We can't flood anyway, being on top of a hill.

Hope the rain and wind didn't do too much damage elsewhere.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

Only 2.5" here and most of it fell overnight. It did fall very hard, so I bet a lot of it ran off instead of soaking in, but that is OK too because the ponds had dried up. I haven't looked at them yet today to see how much water made it into the ponds but anything is better than nothing.

The humidity is already miserable and I guess we'll be stuck with high humidity over most the state for a while.

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

Our rain was nice and slow when I was awake, and since it didn't wake me last night, I'm guessing it continued to be that way. I don't have to water very much, but on Sunday evening, I had several plants that looked wilted on the outermost branches so I gave them a little water. I told DH that I wasn't watering good but was giving them enough to survive until the rains came. It was a good guess, and now they have had a good drink. We didn't get the storm, just the rain.

• devilwoman
    13 years ago

I emptied just over 4.5" out of my rain gauge when I got home yesterday evening then another 1.5" this morning before I left for work. My front hydrangea was still in a "weepy" condition from the weight of the water on its leaves and flowers, and one tomato had fallen over in the veggie garden so I went out in the rain to put a cage around it. Otherwise, my plants and property were wet but fine.

Debra

• devilwoman
    13 years ago

Forgot to add this for Paula. "Clean" and "unclean" animals distinguishes between those animals allowed as food animals under Mosaic law from animals not allowed as food animals. For instance, Mosaic law forbids the eating of pork so pigs would be classified as "unclean" whereas cattle, sheep, goats, which are allowed, would be classified as "clean."

Debra

• p_mac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Debra! I thought I remembered it was something like that.

And Dawn - about Seedmama - I haven't actually spoken to her, but I work with several people who live in her same area. Although the NWS warned of flooding, none of them suffered any drastic damage so I feel pretty sure she's okay. She's been really busy the last couple of weeks with Cub Scout camp. One of my co-worker's has her son there this week and hopes to meet her!

Paula

P.S. And after all the rain last nite, our total grew. It was 3/4's of an inch when I got home yesterday evening. This morning it was 2 and 1/4 inches! Yea for full rain barrels!!

• seedmama
    13 years ago

We're fine! Thanks for asking. P-mac came and "got" me. Spent the weekend in the Panhandle either dealing with or narrowly avoiding chiggers, rattlesnakes, lightning in open fields, flooding, a tornado that went right over the house, major flooding of Perryton. Arrived home late Sunday to learn i had been ratcheted up in responsibility at Scout camp. Camp flooded Monday. All are well. Busy, busy busy. If all I have to deal with tomorrow are mosquitoes I'll be very grateful.

Seedmama

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

Good grief! It's raining again. I hope this is just one of those splash and dash storms because we certainly don't need anymore.

• p_mac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought those looked like dark clouds hanging over your side of town.....

Hope it's a quick one for ya!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    13 years ago

I've been watching the radar and wondering who was getting hit by that rain.

Lynn, I guess you're "it". That happened to us last year...12.89" in one day followed by 6-7" more in about the next 4 or 5 weeks. I really thought for a while that the whole garden would die....or that it would float down the Red River to the Gulf of Mexico, but it didn't.

Are y'all growing webbed feet yet? One day in August you'll realize it hasn't rained in ages, and you'll be looking back at this week and wondering why it all had to fall in one week instead of spreading itself out more evenly over the summer.

• Lisa_H OK
    13 years ago

Lynn, how close were ya'll to the flood? I was up around 178th and Western yesterday helping a family who basically lost everything in the flood.

Lisa

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

Lisa, You're such a nice lady.

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

Lisa,

Yes, I agree with Carol... you are truly a nice person to assist those in need.

I'm at 178th & Santa Fe just 1/4-1/2 mile from their location. I wasn't kidding when I posted the other day that it was flooding north, south, east and west of me. There were water rescues immediately south of us and residential evacuations to the west (probably your friend's neighborhood), roads washed away immediately north and flooding in several places east of here.

A few years back, I remember being miffed at the "inconvenience" of having to navigate around construction from widening all the drainage areas around our neighborhood. Right now, I'm thankful that the city thought far enough ahead for the possibility of flooding or we'd be in much worse shape right now. Just a few swamped squash plants and I was already mad at them for not putting on any stinkin' fruit anyway(!).

On a side note, if we ever move from this house I'm going to seriously study the 100-year flood table/zones before we even think about purchasing another place.

Thanks for asking,
    Lynn