SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Quick Check in from SW Missouri

gldno1
13 years ago

I have been so busy trying to get the new plot retilled and planted that I haven't been on the computer nearly as much.

Here is an update.

New Plot: 5 fruit trees planted

Reid's dent corn planted

tomatoes planted

Seminole Pumpkin planted.

25 Beauregard sweet potato plants.

That's just the new plot.

Question: Do you grow dent corn just like sweet with regards to spacing etc.? I could find nothing on it per se.

I still have about a 1/4 of it left to till.

Regular back yard garden:

First new potatoes yesterday, boiled in salted water, then fried in butter....delish! Will refry the rest for breakfast.

Cabbages are shredded the worst I have ever seen with worms...finally resorted to a dust. White butterflies abound! In fact, they are about the only ones we are seeing.

Onions don't seem to be making any size. I got them in about when I should have. Any thoughts on that?

Kwintus pole beans are up and running up the hoophouse.

I was so late getting tomato plants out this year, I was in a panic when I discovered about 20 volunteers midst the weeds and blooming. I was delighted. All were from OP's so should be interesting. I have weeded and mulched them; haven't staked them yet.

Something ate most of my peppers! Never had anything bother a pepper plant in my life....May have to resort to buying a few plants. One or two are just stems with a leaf or two at the top...don't know if they will recover or not.

Question 2: I planted, for the first time in my life, black eyed peas (actually pink eyed purple hulls) and I don't know how to thin them. No instructions on package from SSE.

Broccoli is finished. Cabbages are making heads.

Eggplants are very sorry looking. Thank you flea beetles.

Hope they come out of it. They are Prosperosa.

Even after soaking seeds overnight, the okra is pretty spotty; probably enough for us though.

Blackberries are turning red

Two peach trees are loaded.

Some apples

Pears are loosing the battle to Fireblight! It is severe this year and there is not much you can do. I have given up on pruning. We may not even get a taste. Pretty frustrating after waiting 5 years. Gardening sometimes is heartbreaking. Some FB on the apples too, but not as bad....so far.

I will have a few raspberries, enough so I can begin to prune and try to get control of them.

Blueberries: Picked a cup...covered with netting to keep Jays and Mocking Birds away and will maybe have a quart total from my three little bushes.

We need rain badly. I will water my new plot today to encourage late plants to catch up. Already watered the trees there.

Some of the soil I tilled was beautiful and deep and some typical Ozarks rocky ground. I put the sweet potatoes in the deep beautiful area. So far the tomatoes are nice and green and look good in the new ground.

Need to decide what kind of staking to do. I planted more tomatoes than ever in my life. I am embarrassed to tell anyone how many! Of course, they can all get disease and produce diddly (like last year). Keeping fingers crossed on this one.

I am pretty much ignoring flower beds up to now. Have begun weeding them as of yesterday.

OK, more than anyone needed to know, but I feel better!

Your Missouri gardening buddy.

glenda

Comments (7)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor