SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

What were your worst bug enemies this summer?

christie_sw_mo
17 years ago

I had three that I really need to figure out how to control:

Japanese Beetles which get worse every year. grrrrr.

Squash bugs - Only bothered my pumpkins at first which didn't upset me too much because my pumpkins weren't doing very well anyway. BUT when my pumpkin vines were nearly gone they decided to move over to my watermelons. WAR!!! By that time they'd already had a million babies and I had them everywhere. I suspect there are a few milllion waiting to climb out of the soil next spring. I'm wondering what other plants they will move to. Maybe I should plant pumpkins again just so they'll have a place to gather and I can torch them.

Another pest I had a LOT of damage from I need to identify. It was a long gray beetle and it ate some of my hostas (among other things) completely to the ground in mid to late summer. I thought I remembered them being called potato bugs or potato beetles but when I put that in google, I get a cricket looking thing and a round striped beetle. Not even close. This was dull gray and about a half-inch long. They gathered in groups and would completely strip a hosta without touching the one next to it. Anyone know what it might have been?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH