SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

Novice's best and worst from the summer

zaphod42
12 years ago

So, I thought I'd get together and record some of my impressions on the young roses in my garden. This was my second summer planting roses and I'm up to 17. So far, I'm spray free in order to get a baseline of how plants react here. Here are some opinions on the one- and two-year-olds.

BEST

Francois Juranville grew like a monster on steroids. Little bit afraid this rambler will eat my fence instead of just cover it. Interesting how it wanted to climb along the ground. Great shiny little leaves. New this year so haven't seen the bloom yet.

JULIA CHILD (First year- own root) Love this plant. Late season prolific bloomer when it got going. Good all-over shape of the shrub.

SDLM (First year) Some say this plant won't survive winters here. I thought I'd give it a try in a sheltered location and I plan to winter protect. Great rebloom. Hope it works out. Bad luck on its bloom cycle this year. (Bloom-torrential downpour-bloom-torrential downpour-bloom-Japanese beetles) I think I might get one more bloom out of it in the next few days. (Fingers crossed)

Queen of Sweden (first year-own root) and William Shakespeare (second year-own root) No BS whatsoever. The WS had zero winter dieback.

WORST

MORDEN FIREGLOW I knew going in there may be BS issues, but sheesh! As soon as there were leaves it got blackspot. Worst in garden. Love the color, but if it continues next summer, it may get a thorough shovel pruning.

AUTUMN SUNSET (second year) Weird shaped climber. Not a great grower. I've been hoping for more. Got some suckers from the rootstock.

THOSE IN THE MIDDLE

Princess Alexandra of Kent (first year) Great front half of summer. Blooms are gorgeous. Hit by BS late season. Will definitely have to treat next year.

HOT COCOA (first year) Love the color. Great bloom. AWKWARDLY shaped growth pattern and shrub shape so far. Hope it works itself out as it matures.

ALEXANDER MACKENZIE (second year-own root) Beautiful blooms, but for a once bloomer, it is a bit stingy with the number of flowers.

TUSCANY SUPERB (first year) Haven't seen the blooms yet so this is a lopsided opinion, but the shrub is kinda homely. Leaves are a bit ugly. Glad it is planted behind Julia.

Well, there you have it - my first impressions so far. I have a number of others (mostly first years) that don't fall one way or the other yet.

Anyone else have opinions on the performance of their younger plants from this summer?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!