SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cynic_gw

Best and worst of your kitchen?

cynic
13 years ago

The share pics of your kitchen thread was interesting. Lots of variety from very basic (like me!) to very fancy. Gazania got me thinking about a few things. So the question is two-fold, what do you like best about your kitchen and what's the worst part(s) or thing(s) you like least about it?

Gazania mentioned how often the refrigerator is placed so far from the work area and I see that a lot. Seems like kitchens are often designed for the athletic! I keep hearing kitchen designers tout the "working triangle" from the stove, sink and refrigerator should be no less than 15 feet and no more than 17 feet in a "well-designed" kitchen. I suspect the idea is to have counter space for working room and the maximum is to keep unnecessary steps minimized since a working kitchen would be a lot of travel between these three spaces. I've found mine to be great albeit tight in this respect. When I had a separate freezer I put it at the end of the peninsula against the wall. I also keep the cutting board pulled out often, which is by the end of the counter and I can pull something from the refrigerator, frig-freezer or other freezer and set it on the counter or cutting board. It's near the sink if I need to rinse it. If I need to pull a number of things from the refrigerator, I have counter available immediately. Need to get some water while I'm cooking (pot of pasta, etc)? No problem, turn to the right and maybe take a step. Dirty dishes? Right into the sink.

So, for me, good things:

1) The relative compactness is fine because the layout is great (best thing). Most everything is right at my fingertips. The cutting board is in a great spot (right across from the frig).

2) Lots of natural light and can look out while cooking, washing dishes, etc. So many kitchens have only the little window above the sink, if any, and I like being able to see outside. Especially comforting to watch the snowfall when you're cooking a roast, a turkey, a pot of stew or chili.

3) I added shelving to the soffits and it may not be the prettiest, it shore are functional!

4) That stupid little shelf unit I added. It's one foot deep by 4' wide and comes right up to the bottom of the window. Perfect to hold the microwave, convection oven, Nesco, and the TV sits on top of the microwave and yes, for me a TV in a kitchen is a requirement

5) Lastly I like the counter. I use it not only for eating but it's a little office area. I keep the fax machine there and use it for a bill paying area too. Many kitchens have a desk, and this is mine.

Worst things?

1) Well, I don't really require a dishwasher but have often thought it could be nice. In order to do one I'd need a portable which would require wheeling or I could put the refrigerator at the end of the counter, next to the shelf and that would leave the spot next to the sink for a dishwasher, which would be a good spot for it and it would also give more counter space.

2) I used to think a larger kitchen area would be nice but the dining area could be a little better laid out for me. If you have people over and want to play a game or something it's not the best but still functional.

3) Would like a better access to the back patio, but then I'd probably have to give up front access. Can't have everything.

Next? And while we're at it, ever measure your "working triangle"? (OK, so the question is 3fold!)

Comments (30)

• moonie_57 (8 NC)
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The best thing about my kitchen is that it is still functional. The worst thing is everything but that. We're in the beginnings of a remodel.

• lavon46
    13 years ago

I was almost too embarrassed to post my kitchen Cynic !
    But....it works me and it is what it is and hopefully someday it will look better than it does right now.

Worst things....The walls are made out of cement blocks and its not insulated. The floor is cement too and ugly, but we can fix that. Its small and only half painted.
    Its not attached to the rest of the house, but that's a lot to explain, so I wont even get into that.
    A new sink would be nice too. Maybe just bull doze the whole thing and start over ? I HATE the swamp cooler in the summer, its always running and the noise gets old real fast, but we cant live without one either.

Best things.....I feel at home, we don't get many visitors so the size is okay too and I do have a dish washer. I can reach everything easily. We can use it as a "guest room" when my son comes, as it has an attached bathroom. It gets lots of sun and I like that because I like to have lots of house plants around me.
    I have had 2 really nice, huge custom kitchens, and for some reason I am just as happy in this funny looking little one :-)

• Related Discussions

Whats your best & worst echinaceas

Q

Comments (16)
    I'll chime in on the echinaceas Good Magnus Meringue Milkshake Hot Papaya Pow wow Bad Mac n Cheese Pink Poodle Sundowner Series I might sound like I'm preaching but I feel the MAJOR problem other than bad plants is that people let the plants bloom too much the first year. The plants expend so much energy blooming that there is little left for root development. At the least the flowers should be deadheaded mid September to let the plants store up strength for the winter. I normally let one or two flowers grow the first year and ruthlessly eviscerate all other buds. Another solution is at least monthly after watering, spray the plants with a solution of 10 52 15 fertilizer - the center high number helps develop roots. A third is when planting add MYKE - it's a symbiotic fungus that helps root development as well. Should be available at your Garden Cemter. People are so enamored with with the beauty of the plants that they give them little chance of survival I feel that the truism - sleep, creep, leap as in root development - has been short circuited in the new echinaceas. It's the instant gratification syndrome. Hope this is of use, sometimes you just get bad plants especially the first few years of the latest and greatest.
    ...See More

Your best decision--worst?

Q

Comments (23)
    many bests, as i am ultra analytical/critical of each and every decision lol. a few are: buying my orlando house on my own 10 yrs ago, before the real boom, starting a 401K at 19, moving to orlando 13 yrs ago, taking a leap of faith meeting my now dh thru the gardenweb lol. worst probably would be that i worked my way thru college, instead of getting loans. i was influenced by my parents' opposition to a loan of any sort (equaled financial weakness to them). i would have had a real college experience but then who knows how my life might not be the way it is now (which i am very very happy with:-))) ~ liz
    ...See More

Rate the cabinet installer for my kitchen 1-10 1=Worst 10=Best

Q

Comments (25)
    Yes that stove situation looks questionable. You could pull the stove out and install a sheet of stainless steel against the wall and behind the stove. Probably the cheapest solution. Were permits pulled? My contractor had demo crew remove old cabinetry, next crew repaired any issues and plumbing was laid out and electrical done, everything was painted and prepared for the cabinet installation. The crew from the cabinet and granite place came in and installed the cabinets, leveled and all gaps taken care of. They were perfect before the granite installation began. Different crews different trades, all aspects need permits. Touch up was done to paint etc after granite and backsplash were installed. Then floor was installed. Floor was installed under where stove goes and, fridge, and dishwasher, not under cabinets, it can be done under cabinets also, cost more for extra flooring.. I can't imagine one person doing it all except if you are doing it all yourself. But as seen on all the flip shows on TV permits are needed.
    ...See More

Which of your trees have fared the best/worst this winter?

Q

Comments (81)
    Hi Laura, like you, all my mandarins did great this winter and some are pushing new growth. My Minneola is carrying three fruits and I wait for them to ripe. So so excite! My three meyer lemons all reacted the same way when I put them indoor. Lots of leaves drop but they started to push new leaves after january. Last summer, I bought a couple of trees from rock buck farm. A key lime (limequat), persian lime, valencia orange and navel orange. Limequat and the two oranges are not doing great at all. Lots of leaves drop and branches die back. I am not confident that I will be able to safe them. It’s still cold here so I can’t put them outside yet.
    ...See More
  • maire_cate
    13 years ago

My husband and I spent many months planning our kitchen layout while waiting for the architect and engineer to finish the building designs for the 1000 square foot addition to our 2 story colonial. Our original kitchen was an OK size but it had 7 doorways which just about rendered the space useless (to the dining room, hallway, family room, laundry room, powder room, basement and backdoor)- honestly what was the builder thinking? Could be why this was the only model in this style that he built.

The end result is a wonderful kitchen measuring 28 x 18 that is indeed the heart of our home. And we managed to combine 2 of the doorways so now it only has 6. Our kitchen has 2 overlapping triangles and room for several cooks. We put in a 12 x 5 island that can easily sit 6 at the counter - it has a 6 burner Dacor rangetop and a prep sink. We have a double wall oven at the end of the kitchen where it's nicely out of the way. I have a huge single bowl sink under a bay window with lots of counter space on either side.

One of our best decisions was to go with 2 separate Sub Zeros- the 36" wide counter depth refrigerator is within the work triangles and the matching 36" wide freezer is on the opposite side of the island. There is 8' of cabinets and work counter next to the freezer along with a smaller bar sink- works great for parties since we can set up the beverage station outside the work triangle. In the eating area we have an 8' wide walk in bay window.

We put the addition on over 20 years ago and it still funtions beautifully. My only regret is that we chose a very light oatmeal colored matte finish porcelain floor. The tile is fantastic and we used an epoxy grout that doesn't darken or stain. I just think a warmer tone would have nicer than what we have. So I now have beautiful Persian rugs strewn about the kitchen and they do add the warmth that I was missing. We enjoy the kitchen so much that we seldom eat in the dining room.

• cynic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lavon you have nothing to be ashamed about! The point of a kitchen is to have a room for cooking and a functional one that's like yours or mine make more sense than a fancy one that doesn't get used! A friend of mine would seldom cook. She hated cooking but had a rather fancy kitchen, all high-end appliances. The only one that got used was the coffeemaker, the rest she said were all props! She had no idea how to use many of the features on the fancy-schmancy stove even after living there for 3 years!

But you mentioned one thing I really would like to have and that's a bathroom off the kitchen. Seems like a no-brainer in so many ways. Wash your hands? Bathroom is close. Eat my cooking and think you're gonna lose your lunch or get an attack of Monte's revenge? Bathroom is close. My aunt/uncle's house had a 3/4 bath between the living room and kitchen so it worked for the front door and back door. They were avid gardeners and lawn workers so they could walk in either door and go right in and clean up. It was great. I looked at a couple houses that had a bathroom off the kitchen and that was a big selling point to me. Sadly too many other things just didn't sell it!

Few Minnesotans know what a swamp cooler is, but I do! :D Are you in Arizona by chance?

• lavon46
    13 years ago

Thank you for the kind words Cynic ! And your right, many people dont know what swamp coolers are. We live in the desert in Southern California, not too far from Joshua Tree National Park.

• debo_2006
    13 years ago

The best thing is that it's very neat and organized. Everything has a place and we know where to find what we want, unlike before the remodel.

The worst is I'd love more cabinets but we have too many doors, doorways, windows, through window that takes up so much wall space to allow more. Changing the footprint in our 3 year old kitchen was not an option.

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Do have pics Maire_Cate?

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

I love how my kitchen looks but is a bit too dark. Not a big deal at night because we have a lot of lighting. But during the day it sorely lacks shine. When we did our remodel three years ago we took the only window in the kitchen (a small 1 foot high under cabinet view of the trash cans) sealed it up and covered with backsplash. The kitchen is still 'work in progress' and once we open up the eating area to the back yard it should let in a bit more light. If not we will add a Solartube in the middle of the kitchen.

Jodi-

• kathyg_in_mi
    13 years ago

I love my kitchen! We redid it 2 years ago and I love what we did.
    Best ever thing is the pull out trash cupboard, no more looking at a trash can!!!!!
    Put in a small pantry, that sure is useful!
    Worst, is that the eating area is small. If we have a full table of people, we have to pull the table out into the kitchen area.
    I have very few drawers, so have to have a crock to hold many of my utensils.

Kathy G in MI

• bulldinkie
    13 years ago

Well my last house the kitchen was huge allI got done was cleaning it.So in my old 1700 farmhouse its just right.I like the wormy chestnut cabinets with granite counter tops,I had 4 windows put in above sink,Wide board pine floor,Got the new fridge 2 doors on top 2 drawers on bottom love it,I have big pantry,I have an aga stove black,the 4 oven model.,set back in a big brick arch .I like my kitchen

• nicole__
    13 years ago

I love my kitchen but if I were to add more features:

*a second sink
    *Tiled in mosiac rugs on the floor, one in front of the stove & one in front of the sink
    *foot controls for the water
    *tile under the breakfast bar stools
    *Lighted hutches under the breakfast bar overhang

• susie53_gw
    13 years ago

Best......... new cabinets and all new appliances. Remodeling but not finished yet..

I love my new big pantry..

Worst. I would love to open up the wall between the kitchen and livingroom and have a bigger window.

• soxxxx
    13 years ago

I like that every overhead cabinet has lighting underneath.

I like the corner sinks with the wall of windows behind where I can stand and look out on a small pond and lots of open space.

I like that the dishwasher is elevated about 12 inches.

One thing that I do not like is the combination pot rack and light fixture hanging by chains over the island. No matter what is hung from there it is always unbalanced. It would be far more useful if it were suspended with some sort of stationary rods. I hang nothing from it now.

• sheesh
    13 years ago

I'm a simple girl with a compact, u-shaped kitchen that is just right - no granite, no backsplashes, no island - very easy to work in and keep clean. What I wish I had is a broom closet.

I keep my small appliances (blender, toaster, food processor, mini processor, KA mixer, coffee maker & grinder) on my counters. My DIL does not; she has a beautiful huge kitchen and puts everything into cupboards. DIL and I are both good cooks who cook and bake a lot. I recently got a large charge when she told me how easy it is to cook in my little kitchen! Well, duh! Everything is available! It is much more important to me to have a functional, well-organized kitchen than a gleaming minimalist one.

I love my DIL dearly. This past spring I spent several weeks living in her home, caring for her young family while she was very sick in hospital and then recovering at home. But it about drove me nuts to have to pull out the coffee maker and toaster every morning and polish all that granite a dozen times a day. I did start leaving the appliances on the counter as I used them, but I never did figure out how to keep the granite gleaming. I just do not like that stuff. I am visiting here again this weekend, and all the appliances are hidden in the cupboards.

Diff'rent strokes I guess; I prefer function. It did make me laugh though when when she told me my kitchen is a pleasure to cook in!

• wildchild
    13 years ago

Best is my DCS 36" all gas range with built in griddle.

Worst is counter and cabinet height. I can only reach the first 2 shelves (barely) of my uppers and the standard 36" counter height is to high for a 5'1" person to work at ergonomically. I do most of my prep at the kitchen table. I have to have my Kitchenaid mixer on a cart because on the counter I have to stretch to see into it.

My dream is to make a center baking/prep island at 30" and have uppers hung 3" lower for more accessibility.

• dotmom
    13 years ago

We live in an APT, and I have learned the art of creative storage, and multi-use of things. To give you an idea of it's size,,,(I don't have a camera or scanning) I can stand in one place and sweep the whole floor. The one thing I don't like...let me correct that statement..... I HATE about this kitchen is ..it has an electric cookstove. Even after 6 yrs, I'm still not used to it.

• linda_in_iowa
    13 years ago

Best thing about my kitchen is the wall color, poinsettia red, which I chose when I moved in. Worst things are lack of counter space and cupboards and the smooth top electric range. I want to get a gas stove. My kitchen is galley style.

• cynic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It really surprises me that more dishwashers aren't raised up. Even in senior apartments (when so equpped - don't seniors ever use dishes?) they're not raised. But then I guess grab bars are uncommon too.

I raised my dryer up and wish I had done that 30 years ago. So much more functional and I'm one where form follows function.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    13 years ago

The best thing about my kitchen is my dishwasher! I have a fairly small galley kitchen. The worse thing is lack of electrical outlets on some walls and the 40 year old tile on the floor all over the downstairs. You can never get it to look good. Another bad thing is the counter top on the one side is also 40 years old. The third bad thing is the broken window that is taped that is above my sink.

Sue

• FlamingO in AR
    13 years ago

Best thing? The under-mount sink and Silestone counter tops. Worst thing? Samsung appliances and the open floor plan with no way to keep the dogs out since there are no doorways. I hate having things in my way when I'm zooming around in the kitchen.

I have a great triangle, though, if there isn't anyone standing or lying on the floor in my way. (I wouldn't complain if Paisley was lying there, but she was so good and would move if you even gave her the look, she didn't need to be told.)

• jannie
    13 years ago

Best-my sink, stove. fridge and diushwasher are just a few steps apart.
    Worst-only one person fits comfortably. Get out of my way!

• wildchild
    13 years ago

Flamingo what don't you like about your Samsung appliances? We're thinking of getting their French door fridge. I hear you about the dogs. I don't mind the dogs but I don't like DH taking a shortcut through the kitchen when there is a perfectly good hallway next to it. LOL Pocket doors are on my list. With LOCKS!

Cynic I used to think a raised DW was out of the question. But has been put back on my list this past year or so.

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

My little kitchen has 2 doorways. One goes into the dining area as shown on my pic' no door.
    The other goes into the livingroom, opposite the sink. It has a pocket door but I never close it.

I like my kitchen, as long as I'm the only one in it. I prefer to be the only one making meals anyway.

I don't know how many times DH just HAS to do something at the sink or something when I'm chopping veggies or preparing dinner. OUT!!! Flamey, I can so relate.

I do have to look down, though. Little Roxie often will come in and just lay there like grey rug, right in the middle of the floor.

• Jasdip
    13 years ago

Oh, I also replaced the old single pendant light fixture with a snug to the ceiling 4-bulb flourescent fixture with a white cover. I LOVE a bright kitchen. Neighbours have commented how nice it is. I like to see when I'm working!

• User
    13 years ago

I know about tripping over dogs as I walk around the island, but other than that, I love my kitchen. I hope so since I paid Plain &Fancy a lot of money to come up with a kitchen which would work in an 1840 crooked house. I love my soapstone counters and the huge deep farmhouse SS sink where I tend my many ivy and fern plants which sit in the big multipaned bump out window. It's a Pella in their historical collection, and we're putting another in upstairs in the back bedroom this fall we like it so much. I have two toned cupboards which are kinda the style now but weren't five years ago when we did this. I also have two different style cupboards..shaker and raise paneled. The colors are cream and sage green. I love the built in corner cupboard which hold all my pantry items at a glance. I like the pull out trash cans and spice drawers and pull out cutting boards. The refrig and DW are covered by wooden panels. The kitchen is really vintage looking and the day they wee done, it looked like it was there in 1840, minus the appliances..lol We left the old wood floors and the backboard is beaded..The sage green matches the original chair rail in the kitchen.

• patti43
    13 years ago

I mostly like my kitchen. I would like newer appliances (like a French door refrigerator and glass-top stove), but everything works so I should be grateful. The only time it doesn't work is when Harry decides he just have to have something and, of course, it's right where I'm working. Grrr! I've learned to walk over here to the computer and spend some time until he's finished.

• User
    13 years ago

I forgot the one thing I don't like about my kitchen. Above the refrigerator is the TV behind closed doors. It's a big space, so wide I have vases lined up on the sides. BUT...when we designed the microwave shelf, I had a wonderful small Delonghi I really loved. It was deco looking ..black and stainless. Did my tiny little mind think it would last forever? It didn't. Then the problem was to get one the same size which is not big. Small is okay for me. It does what I need but leaves me little options. I now have a cool small one but when that goes, who knows?

• cynic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lily316 hope you'll post some pictures of your kitchen. Sounds nice.

Yeah, I'd like to be able to trip over my little doggie too but I know it ain't-a-gonna-happen again in this lifetime. Even the little fart Sunny stealing rib bones would be cute to cuss at again, but same thing.

Jasdip you brought up something about lighting. I require good lighting and do what it takes to get it. I'll sacrifice "style" to get what I want. My kitchen has a 3 bulb fixture over the main part, I added 2 lights under the cabinets over the peninsula counter, a fluorescent fixture over the "shelf" unit and replaced the "chandelier" with a ceiling fan/4-light fixture. My kitchen will light the neighborhood...when the power is working! I demand good lighting when I cook.

• Georgysmom
    13 years ago

We remodeled our kitchen three years ago and I love everything about it. It's not perfect because I had to work within the footprint I had but I did a pretty good job designing a new one if I must say so myself. It's hard to pick out a best thing but if I had to, I would probably say the refrigerator drawers. We had to put in a counter-depth French door refrigerator and the only place for it was on the other side of the island...not too convenient. I countered that little piece of inconvenience by putting in refrigerated drawers on the island. I keep all the fruits and veggies in the top drawer and drinks in the bottom. Everything that requires food prep is right at my fingertips. If I had to pick out a worst thing, it would probably be the island outlet. Because of all the drawers in the island, the only place to put the outlet was on the back side of the island. It would have been more convenient on the side but it wouldn't fit. It's only a problem when I use my Kitchen Aid mixer, requiring me to walk around and plug it in. Not such a terrible thing since I don't use the mixer that often anymore. I went from a U-shaped kitchen with a peninsula cook top to a center island with six feet of pure work space. I love, love, love it!

• kacee2002
    13 years ago

Georgysmom
    One of my favorite things are the refrigerator drawers also. And I keep the same things in them...fruit and veggies on top, drinks on bottom! Ours is at the end of a run of counter(the frig is at the opposite end) right next to the door to the deck, so the drinks are handy in the summer. Love them!