SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandy222_gw

Back with more questions . .

brandy222
15 years ago

Well, I finished the semester of college and have finally had time to work in the garden again. phew!

DH and I are trying really hard to grow organic for the first time this year (in a new garden spot) and, as you can imagine, we are learning a lot. DH says that if everything went perfect than we wouldn't learn anything . . . so I can go with that. :O) But we are facing challenges . . .and I have questions.

#1. I have bugs on the potatoes and I think they are slowly destroying them. I looked online and they look like the dreaded potato beetle. Black with orange stripes. What should we do? I have read about lady bugs, praying mantis, pyola and BT. I really don't want to spray anything that would harm the beneficial bugs, so what other options do we have?

#2. We planted corn (DH planted LOTS and LOTS of corn) and I hoping to prevent problems before they start. We have read and heard that corn is the hardest plant to grow organically. What should we be doing now to prevent problems later?

Thanks for any help you can give us. We have had a challenging spring. We planted seeds twice and both times they got washed out. The second time we planted beans and carrots and after 4 inches of rain we saw tiny germinated seeds floating in the rows . . . . and then they were gone. Sigh. . . Also couldn't get lettuce or spinach to grow. Even though everyone raved about how nice the spring has been for lettuce and spinach. Sigh . . .

Guess I needed a little garden venting. lol Feeling like a garden failure. :O)

Thanks again!

Comments (9)