SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xterra_gw

ipe deck questions

xterra
17 years ago

first off you guys,and gals,are lifesavers for us diy people. we just finished framing our deck. we were going to use trex, but were unsure untill now. we have heard so many complaints about trex local , here in Lake Tahoe, about just about everything you can imagine. then i ran across this site.your members have given us so much good info.we have decided to use ipe thanks to all this good info. our deck is about 500 sf, L shaped,,10x30 across the back and 6x30 down the side. we framed the deck with 12 in. centers, figuring using trex. the deck across the back is about 18 in off the ground on the side it slopes to about 3 ft. we were going to use 5/4. we have good drainage underneath,sloping away,several inches of gravel.

1st question we have talked to several suppliers including george @east teak, and banner elk. they recomend using 1 in. because we are on 12 in. centers, now the price is considerable differance, and if i use 1 in. i can buy local and pick out pieces. (they only carry 1 in. and would have to order 5/4, almost a dollar a sf. dif. as well as about 600. dollar shipping. is 5/4 worth the price diff. in my situation?

2nd question marion at east teak up in washington state recomended sealing both sides before i install, what do you think?

i plan to face screw, possibly plug, i will have to see what it looks like before i go to that effort. snow could come most any day so time is wasting.

thanks again for your help, i will probably be back with more questions before i am done. Bob

Comments (12)