SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amiwhere

Ipe deck questions

amiwhere
14 years ago

So after much research, I have finally made a choice. I am planning on Ipe instead of Trex or Azek, they had colors we liked. Wife wanted maintenance free deck but Trex is too easily scratched among other things, and Azek I am concerned with warping in the heat even if I were to joist it at 12 inches, which I don't really want to do on a 850 sq. ft. deck.

The one thing about Ipe that concerns me is how dry we can get here in the summers. The humidity get can pretty low at times in the foothills east of Sacramento. Any extra precautions I should take regarding checking?

But my real questions concerns gapping. I am replacing a deck in which the joists were rotting away on top very badly. They were pecky cedar. It seems to me that I could not keep dirt and sand from building up in the cracks and butt joints so much so that I get weeds growing up in my deck in the spring. It also seems to me the recommended 1/16" gap would make it very difficult to clean dirt and sand from between the planks on the exposed joist. Any other maximum gapping recomendatons or other solutions?

Ideally, I would like no face screws and an underfastener system like Deckmaster, but there is not enough positive experiences to warrant that path right yet, so it looks like traditional face screwing. In that regard, is there anything I can do to save these joists from rotting out like the last ones? Is taping the joists an effective method? Like I said, ideally, I wouldn't even penetrate the top of the joist if I didn't have to.

I also am planning on no butt joints. I am running 16 and 20 foot boards perpendicular to the house.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (4)