SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Please Don't Hate Me....First Beefsteak Harvested!

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

Today I harvested the first beefsteak tomato from one of the Big Beefsteak tomato plants we're growing in containers. Actually, I harvested three. None of them is perfectly ripe, but two are at the breaker stage and one is a bit further along. I was afraid if I left them on the plant any longer, a bird or pest might beat us to them.

Now, before y'all decide to hate our guts, remember I've been carrying these 8 big pots inside every night and outside every morning on every above-freezing day since mid-February. That's a lot of hauling stuff inside and outside and never once forgetting and leaving them outside to freeze.

Tonight for dinner, we had BLT sandwiches, using the 15 big cherry tomatoes we harvested from Husky Red Cherry today. This is the first batch of BLTs of the year with home-grown tomatoes. It won't be the last.

I can't wait until the Big Beefsteaks are fully ripe, which I guess will be in another 3 to 5 days, since they ripen faster off the vine than on it.

As wonderful as the 3 Big Beefsteak tomatoes are, it should have been 9 instead of three. On two separate windy days, the wind broke off huge branches and each branch had 3 beefsteak tomatoes on it. The tomatoes weren't far enough along to save. Still, I'm grateful for the three we have.

I hope you all are harvesting soon.

Dawn

Comments (18)