SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cityboygonecountry

The Lord Giveth... and taketh away

cityboygonecountry
16 years ago

I'm not a wealthy man. Far from it. I've had to struggle my entire 35 years. I've had just about every disadvantage a man can have in this life. Then last year, finally some luck came my way, for the first time ever. I was given some land... absolutely free. It was land owned by my grandparents, then passed to my father and his siblings. 40 acres divided amongst 3 brothers and a sister. Now my father's 10 acres belongs to me.

It's not the most ideal 10 acres I could have wished for. Dense woods interwoven with green briars, poison oak, and copperhead snakes. Just one foot beneath the topsoil is clay. But it's mine, and it's more than I've ever had before.

I moved here in September with a grandiose vision and immediately began the daunting task of turning this land into my dream, without the aid of heavy machinery or hired labor. I worked alone. A chainsaw and a weedeater were my tools. I read about how pigs are excellent at clearing land, so I got one (one was all I could afford) and she is doing what she can to help me. I worked hard all through the winter. I worked to the point of complete exhaustion, and then I worked some more, until at last I had enough room to start a garden.

After living in cities and suburbs my whole life, never having enough space for more than a few potted plants here and there, I was finally on the verge of achieving what for me had always seemed an untouchable dream. I planted such a choice variety of fruits and vegetables as to make your head spin (maybe not your head, by mine certainly did spin). I cared for them like children, and did all within my power to meet their every need.

But now, just as the growing season should be at its best, I find my garden being destroyed by what is by all accounts a freak circumstance of endless rain drowning all my hard work before my very eyes. The frustration I'm feeling right now is almost more than I can bear.

Comments (12)