SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenut213

Growling dog

gardenut213
17 years ago

I don't know if I have a real problem yet, but here goes. Last Wednesday night I was laying downstairs on the couch watching TV. My dog Belle was curled up next to me. I must have dozed off, my husband came downstairs, playfully slapped my knee and asked me if I was ready to go to sleep. Belle growled at him, (ears down, no teeth exposed) and after a split-second of surprise, I yelled "NO" in a lound firm voice. She jumped down and went to John to be petted. I thought no more of it, thinking she was just caught off-guard. She growled again during the weekend when my daughter and son goofing off in the living room (mainly pretending to shove each other and they fell back onto me on the couch.) This time she was on the floor,(they were nowhere near her...but I digress) but once again, just the one growl, I reprimanded her, she laid back down. My husband thought she was trying to "protect me" and isn't really worried.

However, last night I was getting ready to take her outside for the last walk of the evening, and in the process of folding up the afghan that's on the couch. One of her legs was resting on it, and I pulled the afghan out from under her. She growled at me then. I told her "NO!, and I made her get off the couch and into a sit-position. Then I made her lie down, and stay while I put on my coat and got her leash. Do you think I should not permit her up on the couch, that perhaps she is trying to move her up her position in the family ranks? Friends of ours have a greyhound that growls here and there, mainly over his rawhide treats, and they seem to think this is nothing to worry about, but mainly keep correcting her. I do not want to let it escalate into baring teeth, or God-forbid, biting! This is our first dog, I'm learning as I go. Did some research today on this and it seems most opinions are that growling is never to be accepted. She does "play growl" when we play tug-of-war, but I make sure we take breaks in between and have her do some obedience commands. (I am following the advice of her dog trainer on this). But that is clearly play-time, and after a few minutes we take the toy away and the game is over.

Any comments/ideas?

Comments (19)