SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Armadillos and Possums

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
18 years ago

Usually, my DH is the one who is at work and I am the one at home having the unusual animal adventures. Last week, though, he was at home on vacation (simultaneously trying to build a larger coop for the chickens and guineas, and also trying to spend time with his best friend who was dying). He had a couple of his own animal adventures while home. One was hysterically funny.

One evening he heard our dog, Sam, barking and went outside to see what was happening. Apparently Sam had encountered a possum in the front yard. The possum was lying on the ground "playing possum" as they do, and Sam was frantically running in circles around the possum, barking at it and sort of leaping forward and nipping at it, trying to get that possum to get up and move. It was pretty funny. What happened next was even funnier.

My DH was standing there talking to (OK, maybe "yelling at" would be a better description) Sam, telling him to come inside and leave the possum alone. Sam, being a dog, was ignoring him. Then, here comes a sweet and innocent little armadillo plowing his way across our lawn, apparently oblivious to the fact that the possum, the dog and my DH were all right there in front of him.

Suddenly the armadillo stopped plowing up the lawn long enough to lift his head up and see a man, a dog and a possum. The armadillo went into instant panic mode and ran straight into an oak tree!

Then, still in panic mode and probably dazed by the hit his head took from the tree trunk, he turned and ran straight for my husband and almost ran into him! My DH managed to get out of the way of the armadillo. The dog and the DH came inside, the armadillo ran back in the direction he'd come from (AWAY from our yard and the oak tree) and the possum lay there "dead" in our yard for another 30 minutes or so before it got up and went about its' business.

As my DH was telling me about the armadillo, I laughed till I cried. Wish I'd caught this "moment" on videotape.

Dawn

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor