SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

Please think about maintaining small ponds for wildlife!

bihai
16 years ago

Today, I had a very sad experience.

I was on the last 3 miles of an 8 mile run, on a 4 lane major street, when I looked into the median and saw....an OTTER.

I have seen them before, but usually on the stretch of my run that goes along the designated scenic road on which I live, which borders a State Nature Preserve and contained several creeks and natural springs.

This little guy was in the median, and he looked like he was terrified. I thought that he had been trying to cross the street and gotten scared in the middle by the cars. He was in a 45 mph zone, right in front of a strip mall, a gas station and a huge apartment complex.

Immediately I ran out and stopped traffic, and tried to start coaxing him across the street. At first, I thought that he was trying to play with me. He rolled over on his back and kind of batted his front paws at me and opened his mouth. Then when he flipped back over and tried to follow me, he was dragging his back legs.

He'd been hit by a car already, although there was no blood, and apparently his back had been fractured and he was paraplegic.

Some of the people in the cars who had stopped to allow me to try to help him out of the street got out and began looking for a way to help pick him up. One man had a grocery bag but that was useless, another lady came running up with a box, and we started trying to get him to get into it. We were afraid to pick him up because, I don't know if you have ever seen an otter's teeth, but there are a bunch of them and they are really sharp, and he was so scared he might have lashed out. JUst when things looked hopeless, the poor thing became unconscious. A kind gentleman picked him up and put him in the box, and the man with the grocery bag volunteered to miss church and drive him to the University of Florida Vet School to see if anyone there could help him.

He was still breathing, barely, when he left, but I think that he probably died later. I tried to find out but I couldn't. I did find out that the Vet School had turned them away and sent them somewhere else.

The state of Florida is in a horrible drought that's been going on for over a year now. A lot of the natural water in ponds, creeks, etc has dried up, and creatures are on the move looking for water. I know that the otters in this area lead very secretive lives usually, and I can only guess that starvation from a lack of a place to find food prompted this one to journey out onto one of the busiest thoroughfares in this area. If only he had found my place first, at least I have a few small ponds that I keep just for the wildlife to come and get a drink, take a bath in, whatever. He could have hung out as long as he wanted, we would have even left some food out for him to pull him through. We already cater to deer, wild turkey, armadillos, raccoons, possums, rabbits and all sorts of small birds and snakes.

I know many people maintain lovely water features for the sake of making their properties look great, and for growing lovely collectible aquatic plants and maintaining koi. But please, consider setting up some little something in your yard that you don't care if it gets trashed, just for the opossums, raccoons, rabbits, snakes, birds and other wildlife that you could help out. Just a plain old black 30-50 gallon pond liner with a few feeder goldfish and some anachris. A place to drink, bathe and fish a little. Feeder fish only cost 10 cents each.

I came home and just cried over this poor otter. It depressed me so much that something so lovely, unusual and special had been needlessly killed by someone who didn't slow down. ALmost everyone in my town is gone for the holiday this weekend. The university is out til summer school starts. Traffic is non-existant. I can't imagine someone couldn't have avoided this otter, he was almost 4 ft long, sleek and gorgeous. I am so depressed. Please consider a wildlife pond in your yard. You may be richly rewarded by what shows up.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH