SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Monday's Severe TStorm/Tornado Forecast

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

I hope all of you are watching the weather closely today. Very closely and most especially if you're in northeastern OK. Today's storms are expected to move very fast and have the potential to be very violent. The OU Team, accompanied by TWC's Mike Bettes and Weather Channel crews who are participating in VORTEX 2 are already positioning themselves for today's storms. Even The Weather Channel's Dr. Greg Forbes is in town to join VORTEX 2. When TWC has their guys in place, you know they're expecting "action" (good for them, bad for us).

The NWS has been warning of the high potential for very severe weather today, especially this afternoon, for a week now. When they warn us to 'be prepared' for a week in advance of an expected weather event, you know they are seeing ominous signs in the weather forecast models.

Please watch your own weather closely today. Much of the state is under the risk of severe supercell T-storms that could produce strong tornadoes, high winds, hail, lightning and heavy rainfall.

If you're in western and northwestern OK, you have high wind warnings and watches and high fire danger, particularly to your west in Texas. If you're in the rest of the state, depending on where you live you have a high, moderate or slight chance of severe weather. Please understand that in today's particular case, the storms in the 'slight' and 'moderate' risk areas can be as strong as the ones in the 'high' risk area....it is just that the forecasters expect there will be fewer of them in the lower risk areas.

The highest risk of severe weather is this afternoon and includes the possibility of LONG-TRACK AND VIOLENT TORNADOES. Yes, I know I am 'shouting' when I use all-caps but the potential for real danger is very high. Once the storms ramp up, they could move at the rate of 50 mile per hour, so you could be hit by one 'out of nowhere' fairly suddenly.

Instead of linking the Norman office's page, I'm going straight to the source and linking the convective forecast from the NWS's Storm Prediction Center. As you can see, the further north and east you are in OK, the greater the risk. Areas of adjacent states are at risk today as well.

On a day like today, let's hope for rain since all our gardens really need it, and also let's hope the severe weather fails to materialize. I'll be taking my weather radio out to the garden today so nothing can sneak up on me.

Y'all be careful out there. We can't do much to protect our gardens from these conditions, but we can protect ourselves.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Storm Prediction Center

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting