SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Today Is A New Day, Let's Think Some Happy Thooughts

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
10 years ago

For the first time in 5 days we are waking up in a state that doesn't have a moderate risk area on the SPC Convective outlook.That is quite a relief after the week we've been through.

Even though some areas are waking up to fairly cool temperatures and some folks have fog, the sun is going to shine today and it likely will be a beautiful clear or partly cloudy day.

We will be able to walk outside, splash in the puddles, stomp our way through the mud as we check on our gardens, and we'll get to exercise our hands and arms by slapping away the mosquitoes that follow heavy rainfall just as surely as the sunrise follows the darkness of the night.

Of course, we cannot pull weeds easily because it is too wet and clumps of saturated soil likely will come up with the weeds, but it still will be a good day to dig out any bermuda grass that is creeping into places it does not belong.

The wind will give us soft gentle breezes, which will be a welcome change of pace. The butterflies will flit by, gracefully, adding beauty to our time outside. The birds will chirp, the grass will scream "cut me, I got rained on and I grew!" and down here in southern OK where we are "blessed" with fire ants, the mounds will pop up out of the ground like fireworks erupting on the fourth of July. That could be a negative, but I'll turn it into a positive by bringing out the little canisters of organic fire ant killer and treating each new mound as it appears.

The plants that have been flattened to the ground by strong wind and heavy rain will respond to the sunlight, maybe with a little help from us gardeners, and will lift themselves up off the ground to stretch towards the sun and begin their recovery from the pounding that took from the severe weather.

In so many ways, today will be a beautiful day---the kind of day that lifts our spirits after a storm---and I hope everyone is able to spend at least a few peaceful moments in their yard or garden, whether it is with a trowel or pruners in hand.....or a tall cold glass of iced tea or a glass of wine...and rejoice in the fact that the sun always comes out once the storm has passed.

Let's hope that the Moore and Shawnee tornado survivors find something to smile about today too, even as they begin the long, laborious process of recovering from an almost unspeakable tragedy. I know that I am grateful we live in a state where so many Oklahomans rush to help one another, and the outpouring of assistance, donations and caring from people from other states is as beautiful as the first delicate new blossom of the day.

I am about to head outside to the garden in a few minutes, hoping to beat the heat and humidity and I am determined to have a great day working out there even if I am swatting mosquitoes and sliding around in ooky, gooky wet clay.

Have a happy day and be sure to come back here and share your news, happy or otherwise, about the joy and peace (or anything else) you find in your yard and garden today.

Dawn

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022