SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teresa_nc7

Happy New Year! what did you do today?

teresa_nc7
14 years ago

Good wishes for 2010 to everyone! I've been having fun today making birthday exchange blocks - too fun! I also made a new bread recipe (semolina bread) and cleaned my sewing room just a little bit - it needs a lot more help, believe me.

If I let myself get started, I could see myself cleaning out this catch-all room, organizing my pantry, re-doing my stash of fabrics ----- but I'll think about that tomorrow, Scarlet.

What did you do on this first day of a new decade?

Teresa

Comments (31)

• barbara_in_pa
    14 years ago

Teresa!
    And a delightful new year to you also!!

Today I took the time to finish up a small square table runner that I had started months ago. I made it from left over scraps that I had made into flying geese -- using an Eleanor Burns templet. I outlined the geese in black. Took my darning foot and practice free motion on the sashing, and then bound it. Came out pretty well. This was one of my use up the fabric pieces on hand project. Still my pile of scraps has not reduced by much!

I then looked at another UFO and working on getting the backing ready for this. Maybe tomorrow I will get it sandwiched and ready to work on.

Barbara

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

My company is gone - whew! My outside decorations are put away - my inside decorations are still calling me - and I am ignoring them! I worked on a Birthday Block today - almost got it finished. I chose a Paper Pieced Block (quilter's choice) just to make it special for me as well as the B'day Gal. Keeping my fingers crossed that she approves :). I hope to finish it tomorrow.
    I am fixing leftovers for dinner - I have been cooking & cleaning nonstop, and I am pooped.
    Best wishes for all - I had not realized this is a new decade....wow...they are passing faster....

• Related Discussions

What did you grow that was new to you this year, etc.

Q

Comments (25)
    I got 3" pots of celosia, alyssum, coleus, and iris(don't know if they are Dutch or Bearded) from a landscaper friend of mine and all are growing healthy. Here are my other plants: two lilacs - one died, the other growing good and healthy S facing fence Celosia pulled when they died but wow they are beauties so I will plant them again White alyssum has a nice scent which I can't describe, the purple one has none. Will someone please tell me how to propagate them. They are planted on my north facing wall. Iris flowered last spring hoping they will flower again next year. My favorite is clematis as soon as the one I planted in the fall of 2004 showed the most beautiful blooms I had ever seen. So this year I planted more and have 44 planted in my 800 or so sq. ft. of garden with a few more coming this spring. 3 bush and 3 tree peonies - the trees all bloomed, but none of the bushes bloom at all. Rose of Sharon standard form on container growing good and bloomed all summer in direct sunlight. Tulips and daffodils all rotted last 2004 (heavy rain on clay soil) so the replacements were planted this fall so I hope to see some blooms this spring. I now have a raised garden because nothing seems to grow on our clay soil. Fraxinus Americana and Fraxinus Pennsylvanica are planted in my front lawn - mostly clay but it now has a drain system. What are my chances that they will not die as we are having lots of rain again this year? Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated especially plants good for clay soil as my north facing wall only has a 6 inch raised bed. This is celosia: This is a clematis named 'Bees Jubilee'
    ...See More

Happy New Year - Will it be a new you???

Q

Comments (1)
    I think its important as a single person to just get "out and about". I too enjoy my freedom yet would love a healthy, close relationship. My goal this year, for the first time in my 51 years of life, is to seek people out, to feed my need for belonging. I truly enjoy my own company, but we all need to get out and socialize... I agree that our New Year's resolutions should be processes...baby steps!
    ...See More

Happy New Year!!....New Years Resolutions...

Q

Comments (14)
    Hi all! I'm new to the forums but I have an idea why this one doesn't get much response. It's not listed in any of the categories, it's only listed sort of alphabetically in the s's as The Single Life, it took me several visits to find it and I still have trouble remembering where it is on the list to click so I can lurk! Maybe someone should suggest to Spike? that it be made more visible, I know that there are a lot of singles on the forums. Just thought I'd pop in and say something and maybe someone else has had the same experience. My New Year's Resolution is to be proud of being single and not be so quiet. Happy New Year! Charlotte
    ...See More

Happy New Year - what do you have coming up now?

Q

Comments (2)
    They look fantastic. We have at least two more months before there's a chance of seeing sprouts like that, are yours early for having been in pots? (that and a much milder climate) I have some cyclamen coum in bloom under lights, it's the only thing anywhere close to being alive at this time of year for me!
    ...See More
  • mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Today is my 25th wedding anniversary! Hooray for us! We did as we always have done - we took down the tree, and are making a cider-brined pork roast for dinner.

No quilting for me today - my garage studio is too darned cold. It's just below freezing outside, and it didn't warm up the way it normally does during the day. I have a space heater in there which usually does the job, but not today.

• lindaoh_gw
    14 years ago

Happy New Year to you too! I spent the afternoon making 5 Split Nine Patch blocks in red and ecru for my quilt guild. It is for a charity quilt.
    My DD gave me another jelly roll for Christmas. Tomorrow I want to cut the background fabric to use with the jelly roll. She also gave me a book with patterns for jelly rolls, charm packs, and layer cakes. Most of the quilts only take one of the specialty cuts plus background or border fabrics. I love it!
    Linda OH

• jennifer_in_va
    14 years ago

My sewing room was definitely calling to me today! I started my Bella Bella pp quilt last night. Unfortunately, getting down there wasn't in the cards.

I've taken down the tree, but still need to get the ornaments wrapped up and in boxes again. Vacuumed a little bit. I also went to the wholesale club for some groceries, and the reg. grocery store for the few things I still needed. Have gotten all that stashed away and am working on dinner.

I would still like to get into the sewing room tonight, but have to make up some Amish Friendship bread that's ready. Since I'm planning muffins this go around, it might take a bit longer to finish.

Maybe I can sew later??

• grammyp
    14 years ago

I worked all day today, just got home. But, I have a job and am thankful for that. The grands are spending the night, so I will be very tired tomorrow. I did eat my traditional New Years foods.

beverly

• wendyfaye
    14 years ago

I cooked my Christmas turkey for my daughter, son and his girlfriend. It was very good and I'm already looking forward to the leftovers. I know... I'm a week late with all this. First sewing in a long time happened last night when DD and I made a case for her new laptop. I miss my 'studio'. 20-10 will be MY year.......

Greetings to all y'all. I've missed ya.
    Faye

• toolgranny
    14 years ago

Happy, happy to all of you. I generated a new baby quilt pattern and test block today but mostly watched football, cooked for just us three old folks, and took down Xmas quilts and wallhangings. I don't have it all put away yet but the place is starting to look ready for the new year again. My son helped get the tree down before they went home so the rest was easy for me.

I've cleared the deck and am ready for my spring project, whatever will spring forth that is. I ordered some fabric online (as if I don't have fabric already) and can hardly wait for it to come and become a baby quilt and a wallhanging.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    14 years ago

I finished up a hot dish mat and stuffed a flat-rate box plumb full of fabric for a very special lady.

Watched most of the Rose Bowl Parade and texted DD who is in New Orleans with DGD band who are playing at the halftime of the Sugar Bowl tonight. Yes, we're glued to the TV! She said: "Our band swept every category in their class and won the overall award for the whole sugar bowl competition with a score of 96!!" They'll be coming home with 6 trophies! WOOOOHOOOOO

SharonG/FL

• polardream
    14 years ago

Wanted to quilt ... unfortunately came down with the flu last night and went to bed at 7pm. Up & down most of the night - JUST got up - almost 24 hours later and feel worlds better! DH fixed his own New Year's Eve dinner (shrimp scampi) and entertained the dogs (we are pet sitting our "granddog" while DS is off skiing). Think we'll watch a movie - Julie & Julia tonight then back to bed.
    Lots of ideas for new quilts ... now just need the time to make them!
    Happy New Year to all!

• cindykg23
    14 years ago

I'm hoping 2010 is a productive & happy one for all of us!! I told my DH earlier that we are due for a GOOD year! His usual response - a big smile! Gotta love him!!

I 'putz-ed' around today, slowly working on taking down decorations, still have the two trees to go. I enjoy watching ftball w/DH - esp the Northwestern game (didn't like the outcome tho) & of course our fav OSU Buckeyes are on now.

Beverly- what traditional foods do you enjoy on New Yrs? I grew up w/pork roast & 'kraut, but DH doesn't care for it.

Started my Baltimore Album today; selected fabrics for center block & traced pattern. Ready to cut it out & begin the fun part - applique! Since we slept in a little,I may stay up late & keep at it.

Found another good quote to share---"Creative clutter is more blessed than tidy idleness." -found that special for you Teresa!

~Cindy
    Buckeyes won!! YEA!!!

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Happy New Year! There was more quilting reported than I would have expected with this being a holiday. I also did some quilting. I had not finished the wall hanging with my Santa blocks so I worked on it some more today. I really wanted to have it completed before Christmas, but it just didn't happen. I am hand sewing the binding to the back of the quilt now, so it is close to finished. I will complete that and then add a label and it will be ready for Christmas 2010.
    Happy Anniversary, Mary C!
    We will start to take down our decorations tomorrow. It is a big project although not quite as time consuming as putting them up.
    Jeanne

• love2sew
    14 years ago

A very Happy New Year to all. Many of you are starting the year off right with a new project. I took part in the Planet Patchwork mystery quilt. We used batiks and it was easy sewing and it turned out very pretty. I am going to use mine for a table topper. There was a chat room and that was another first for me so all in all it was a fun sewing day. I plan to machine quilt it on my treadle!
    Jeane

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Happy New Year

Today I finished my very first hand applique block even though I decided a few days ago that I probably won't use it for the BA quilt. Then I started on the next one and so far I'm pretty excited about it. The batiks have (so far!) been easier to work with than I expected and I love the colors. I like the pattern too. I think this one is a keeper and will be Block 1 of the Baltimore Album quilt. Over the next 2 days I plan to take down all the Christmas decorations and get them packed up, but I'll squeeze in a little more hand sewing time too. I'm addicted now and loving it! Don't know why I was so afraid of it for so many years.

Kate

• petalpatsy
    14 years ago

Happy New Year wishes to everyone! I read some, took a hot bath and nap, watched a movie, and made fried chicken for supper, brownies for dessert. Pretty good day, I say!

• cannahavana
    14 years ago

My sister and I made our traditional homemade hot tamales and chili while the men-folk watched football. Brought tons home to freeze for the rest of the winter (if I don't give them all away like last year)! Going to a quilt class this morning. My first one!

Rebecca

• gininmn
    14 years ago

I got up early, 5:45, to make bake a caramel apple custard bread pudding and a pumpkin pie. After church, DH and I went to our church's potluck brunch and ate lots of wonderful food including my bread pudding. Once home, I read the paper then we went to visit my sister and brother-in-law where we had a nice visit and great meal, salad, beef roast, pork roast, mashed potatoes with gravy, baked squashed, green beans with bacon and onion, and pumpkin pie with whipped cream. Just relaxed when we got home.

Sounds like quite a few of you got in some quilting. I need to do some serious sewing room reorganizing before I do any sewing. Polardream, sorry to hear you came down with the flu; hope you're fully recovered. How was Julie and Julia? My book group plans to get together in a few months to watch it and cook a meal from Julia's Joy of Cooking. Believe me, this book group is at least as much about eating as it is about reading. lol

Wishing all on GW QF Happy 2010!

• itsmesuzq
    14 years ago

Well, since I went to a New Years eve party (the hosts cooked all French food in honor of Julia Child!) I didn't do much on New Years day. I made myself a good breakfast of turkey bacon (trying to start the year right), eggs and sourdough toast with cranberry chutney...yum! I know that doesn't sound all the great to most of you but I rarely eat a hot breakfast. It's usually cereal and blueberries, so something like eggs and toast is a treat. ~LOL~ I watched the Rose Parade, a tradition here in Southern California and then watched TV on and off the rest of the day. It was a really quiet day and I actually sat outside in the sunshine after my shower to let my hair dry. I was dressed in shorts and was able to catch an hour or so of the warm sun.

It was a nice day and I wish all of you the very best in 2010.

Susan

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Susan - the New Year's party I went to had the same theme! We all brought dishes either using Julia's recipes or inspired by her, we all wore aprons (even the guys) and we talked like her. I made her French Onion Soup.

We had all seen the movie at various times during the year and all loved it. Her cook books were on everyone's Christmas list!

Kate

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Mary C - I forgot to say "Happy Anniversary!"

Kate

• cindykg23
    14 years ago

Susan,

Had only intended to catch up on posts when I saw yours re: your New Year's day --SHORTS!!!
    OUTSIDE IN THE SUNSHINE???!!!!!!!!
    I'm so-oooooooo jealous! Here in Ohio it's struggling to reach 18* & the wind chill makes it even colder. I was actually sorry I had agreed to meet my mom for breakfast at BobEvans, but at least I had my long johns on. I used to love the cold but not so much anymore - it makes me ache all over. It's what we get for living here, but until our son should get a transfer, we're not leaving our grandsons for anyplace - even the tropics!
    Enjoy the warmth & think (once in awhile!) of us shivering northerners. I know I'll be thinking of you...& happy that you're enjoying it!

~Icicle Cindy (Icicle for body temp only, not personality!lol)

• nanajayne
    14 years ago

Happy Anniversary Mary C.,Thats a special way to start any new year. We celebrated our 59th. in Dec. so appreciate how special it is.
    Happy New Year to all!
    We started the New Year with the Rose Bowl parade, working on my hand quilting while we watched. One of my Christmas gifts was a REALLY bad cold, so wasn't up to doing very much. I guess I am one of the few that keep my Christmas decorations up until Jan.6th. so wont be taking them down until then. Too, cold an blustery to do much outside.
    Today I planned out my first BA block, maybe I shouldn't call it that as it isn't the traditional theme but they will be hand appliqued. Trying to expand my applique this year.
    Jayne

• solstice98
    14 years ago

Jayne, I think it's OK to call it BA if you want. I started with a traditional block but have abandoned that plan in favor of a more contemporary one. I'll start a new post tomorrow on the BA/BOM project and see if we can get people to post pictures as they go.

Kate

• fran1523
    14 years ago

Went to NYC to spend New Year's Even with my daughter. We had a quiet time at home and drank a good bottle of wine. New Year's Day we did a little shopping and hung out some more. I drove home today and will take the Christmas decorations down on Sunday. I must start packing for my trip to Hawaii on Jan. 18.

• chickie1
    14 years ago

I spent yesterday staying around the house. First walked the dog and then helped hubby stack wood for the wood stove. Cold weather was predicted for the weekend and next week so we decided to get the wood pile ready. After lunch I headed upstairs and quilted row 4 of the quilt I'm working on for my daughter. Was so glad to be able to fit some quilting time in. then backstairs to finish the puzzle I started on the 30th. Cooked some dinner with hubby and chilled on the sofa the rest of the night.
    Glad we got the wood ready. Spent today inside . . . cold, cold cold.

• karpet
    14 years ago

Happy Anniversary Mary! We met 23 years ago on New Years eve!

Cindy - love that quote!

Karlene

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

Oh, Thanks all for the anniversary well-wishes!

We don't normally make a big deal of the day - we don't do gifts or even go out. We just have a day completely to ourselves, and enjoy it. I even told my son and step children - we do not want a party, we want to spend the day together by ourselves.

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Happy belated Anniversary Mary! 25 years - just a warning - it does not get easier!! (coming up on 35 years)
    Sounds like you had a nice day - I think a great way to 'celebrate'.

• polardream
    14 years ago

gininmn - Julie & Julia was GREAT! very well done and entertaining. Mary & Jayne - happy anniversary.
    It certainly sounds like everyone had a good new years.
    Sue/polardream

• jck1210
    14 years ago

I haven't quilted in weeks with so much going on here with Christmas and home renovations but I'm a day late because I've been busy busy busy cutting, sewing and quiting as much as I can since I'm having surgery on both hands on thursday. I was able to finish one baby quilt top today and do most of the cutting for the second one to start first thing in the morning. Need both of these completed by monday night as I have a new neice or nephew due in Ireland this friday and a good friends baby shower on Saturday!!

Oh and the good thing is no interruptions with decorations here either as we don't take our tree down until after the 6th also.

• finchelover
    14 years ago

Long-short story. Was out of town at my daughters and she took me to quilt store so she could pick out pattern and material for a quilt. We heard it was to snow later so had to hurry back to her place. It was my birthday and guess what while in quilt shop found out they were having $75 dollars off their Accugo Fabric cutter so I bought myself a birthday present...mine. We left town at 12:30 got home around four and at 6 went to church and surprise,surprise it started to snow. I hope we don't get 6 inches like like Interstate gal said,we already have 12 from previous snow....that was my day. Not bad really

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm