SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yama_gw

pruning sugestion by pro Japanese gardener

yama
17 years ago

Hi all

pruing is frequntry asked at Japanesae garden forum. It is not easy task to answer by all text. but I try anyway.

Since Japanese garden forum is almot dead, I write here.

Please forgive my misspeling, grammer error.

tools

Before start to pruning, you should know how to maintain tools and sharp you knif, pruner,share,looper etc. It is very important to have sharp tools to prune. file is not not best tool to sharping some tool. wet stone, diamond file. celamic sharping stone. unlike carpenter's tools Gardening tools are not so picky.

240 grid/ midium, fine #800 to# 1200 should do it.

for pruner which has short blade, can use about 1 inch thick ,5 inch long. one side is fine other side medium or thin diamond file with handle works well.

some stone for sharping fishing hock also work, it is about 3/8 inch thick,1 and 3/4 inch wide 4 inch long.

some tools are not take abuse, each tool has it's limit. know how to use properly.

If branch is hard to cut with your pruner or looper, try to cut angle, it makes so much easier. if branch is too thick for your pruner or looper, cut wide V shape first then make final cut. having saw on your belt ismakes pruning job so easy.

I have extra belt for tool to hang on my waist. I carry 12' inch saw, pruner and bonsai pruner when working on Japanese garden.

I hate call my share as bonsai share. We call it "Te basami.[ te= hand, basami/hasami = share]" It look like bonsai share but handle is thicker and stronger than share which use for bonsai. It is look like , but different.

ladder

we use trypod ladder for pruning. There are steel, aluminum factry made trypod ladder. but many of pro gardeners still use hand made trypod ladder, Simple hand made trypod ladder works better.

you can buy aluminum trypod ladder wich is light , easy to get and many different sizes for your need. 6 feet 8 feet 10 feet are most offten used for pruning.

We some time need to reach beyond hight of trypod ladder, then use alluminum extion lader with trypod ladder. I won't write it here unless I can show it personal , be cause of safty issue.

hand madde trypod ladder can use any where. wet ground, uneven ground, up hii, down hill or even in water. some how factry made tripod ladder has limit because of it's design.

I made trypod ladder with hickory and modefied from most Japanese gardener use in Japan.

each little things makes different between pro and amature.

once you lean how to use trypod, you can do many things with it.

Cady has 8' allminum "orchard ladder" I made about 8' high hand made trypod ladder for her. I made it lighter than for myself.

many of pruing techic of Japanese gardeing is "thing" reducing number of leave, branch.The most important of pruning is to know plants,tree grow habit and maitain grace of shpe of tree and plant.

Pruning will help to reducing pest problem as well. I will tell later why.

I have to go now. next time will check words with dictionary . .................................yama

Comment (1)