SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soonergrandmom

Question for you 'flower children'

soonergrandmom
16 years ago

I plant a veggie garden and start almost everything from seed. I don't have any trouble doing that, but when it comes to flowers I normally just buy transplants. In my last home I direct seeded some cosmo, black eyed susan, and daisy seeds and got a little lucky with them as they reseeded and came back one additional year.

I have tried starting a few things indoors but I have been discouraged by the tiny seed and three week germination. By the end of 3 weeks I probably wouldn't remember that I had planted them. I was looking through my seed packets and realized that I had lots of flower seed and some of it was several years old. I pre-soaked several kinds of seed and planted a couple of seed trays today. I had two packs of African Daisies so I just dumped them into one cup to soak. You are going to laugh at me now. I felt like I was planted oatmeal flakes. If they germinate, I will probably have clusters of plants. When I would reach in for a seed, 20 more would stick to my fingers. Then when I would try to plant it, it wouldn't let go.

I planted some marigolds into another tray and there were so many seed in the pack that after I filled the tray I went outside and stood over two flower beds and tried to scatter the rest. I doubt that any of them will come up, but if they do, I will have many marigolds.

Then I have this mass of free seed that I have to do something with. I guess I will just have to plant them and take my chances. Summer may be over before I have any flowers planted.

You guys and gals need to teach me about growing flowers and tell me what I need to plant that is easy to grow.

I did buy a few transplants just in case..........

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer