SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
p_mac

Spring Fling - who's bringing what?

p_mac
14 years ago

Hi Guys! T minus 12 days and counting until our Spring Swap!!! For all you who have rsvp'd to attend, it's time to get ready! For starters, if you would all be so kind as to bring lawn chairs for yourselves that would help very much. We don't have quite enough of those for everyone. Also, if you could bring a small folding table to hold whatever you're bringing to the swap for trade or give-aways, that would help also. We have 3 or 4, but I'm sure that's not enough. We're going to be in the shade, so I hope we don't need umbrellas! You should have rec'd a map in your e-mail to direct you. I'm going to hang yellow and green balloons from the power poll out by our drive so you'll know where to turn. DH might even get industrious and put out some "GW Swap" signs!

We know we've got the garden goodies covered, so how about the food? With spouses, sisters, mothers, friends and/or kiddos - we should have AT LEAST 60+ people. I'm serving a HUGE bunch of fried chicken (no, I'm not cooking, Homeland is!) I think Dawn volunteered to bring plates, cups, utensils, etc. since she lives far. There's always paper towels, ice, drinks, casseroles, salads, finger foods, chips, cookies, etc etc. that can be added too. Someone might want to bring a brisket? or a ham? Either way, all that usually ends up being a delicious feast so chime in here and give us an idea of what you'd like to bring to eat!!

And we'll have a drawing towards the end of the event for door prizes so don't forget anything you might want to contribute to that! I picked up a couple of little things myself. I'll have name tags and tickets for you when you get here! And a guest book!!! We need to start this for future Swaps, too, don't you think?

I feel like I already "know" you, but it's going to be so much fun to put faces with names! ok, fellow gardeners....have I left anything out?

Paula

Comments (97)

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Whoa, hold up a minute.

I am thrilled that it is not in a public place and people can't just wander in like they did last year. It was noted after the swap that several people just came in and took plants, some even took door prizes, and then left and no one that I talked to, had ever seen or heard of these people before. They brought nothing, but they took what they wanted and left.

A lot of money, time, and effort goes into growing seedlings that are for summer growth but require starting in the middle of winter. At this stage of my life, I have the time, the resources, and can make a temporary place to do this. This has not always been the case for me because I had several children and a full-time stressful job. I am old and the time will probably come again when I can't raise hundreds of seedlings. When that time comes, I want the nurseries to still be there for me to buy transplants from. I don't want to be a part of anything that might hurt their business to the point that they can't make a living and stay in business.

I spent several hundred dollars last year on seeds and potting mixes, not to mention the money spent to keep six sets of shop lights burning for weeks on end. Do you think I want to do this for just anyone that walks in? Well, the answer is no, nor do I want to hurt the people who do this for a livelyhood.

I grow extra transplants so that I can share with a few people that frequent a senior citizens center all the time. Some of them can't financially afford to buy plants, others have no land except for a flower bed or two, and some just don't have the health to do what I can do. Even then, it only took one year of providing them free transplants, and they came to expect it every year and ALWAYS ask my husband if I am going to do it again for them for the current year.

I don't want to provide a place where people log on once a year to find the location of the swap, and show up to get free plants. As much as I would like to promote gardening or self sufficient living in any way, for that matter, I don't plan to be the source for their free seedlings every year just for dropping by to pick them up.

Yes, this forum is a public forum. We freely offer advise to anyone that logs on and ask for it, and sometimes for those who don't ask for it. LOL I am amazed when I see questions being asked from other states. I don't mean states like KS, AR, and TX that border us and have similar growing conditions, but places like WA, VA, FL and PA, yet I see it all of the time.

While the forum is public, the swap was by invitation to those that made previous arrangements with the host and hostess to attend. The public forum was a good place to announce this, just like it is a good place to mention which vendors have certain things that others might be interested in.

While last years 'swap' was a fun get-together, it had some real limitations as anyone who had a need to use the public restroom soon learned. Making my way through standing water all over the bathroom floor is a little un-nerving when you don't know where the water came from. OKC provided one of it's typical windy days to enhance it all. While I appreciated the effort that went into planning, it did have a few draw-backs.

I know that many people enjoy the food at large gatherings, but I am allergice to Red Dye #40, which happens to be in everything from healthy yogurt, to cake mix, to bar-b-que sauce, and not just the obvious things like jello. Tasting everyone's food is like playing roulette for me, so eating is not the big draw in my case. The big draw is seeing everyone that I spend my evenings talking to during the winter months. I am happy to share a few plants with them, and find out what is going on in their lives. I even like to check them out and see if they look healthy and happy.

I have only attended one swap, but I met a lot of people, and had fun. I brought home a few plants that I enjoyed growing. I met face-to-face with Dawn, George, Lisa, Dana, and others that I have continued to correspond with and share with all year. I think this is what the swap is all about.

Will I bring plants to share? If they don't die between now and then, I am sure that I will. Am I happy to share them? You betcha, but not with John Q Public. Having it in a private location insures that I can do what I will enjoy doing, so hats off to Paula for this awesome event. Thanks Paula.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Lisa,

I'm bringing lots and lots of self-sown Angel's Trumpet seedlings and they could be yellow-flowered, white-flowered or purple-flowered. If they are yellow-flowered, they'll be double-flowered as well. I'll check my seed box and if I have seed of any other types, I'll bring them too. I think it was Larry (Indian Blanket) whose daughter's wedding was last May or June. I don't think I've seen him online since last summer though.

There was no reason for you to be quaking....your landscape is gorgeous and ought to be on a garden tour. I always refer to Jay as the Tomato King, but you're definitely the Flower Queen.

As long as you bring yourself, who cares if you bring seeds or plants? We just want to see you!

Rookie, I am sure you probably didn't mean to offend, but perhaps your comments were offensive and your use of the phrase 'VIP list' probably was a poor choice of words when you know there was no such thing. In the true spirit of inclusiveness, the sign-up list was open to anyone and everyone and their family members from day one up to the point that it filled up, so it certainly was not a VIP List...it was maybe just a list of those who were quicker to respond and get on the list instead of waiting too late or choosing not to attend a gathering at a private residence.

If you are not comfortable attending a gathering at a private residence, then of course you should not come. If you'd prefer a plant swap at a public location, then find and book a site, organize and plan a swap, etc. Anyone is free to plan a gathering at any time and announce it here.

Carol made many, many excellent points and I agree with them. I'll freely give plants to any forum members at any plant swap, and I treat them as a 'giveaway' and don't expect a plant back in exchange. However, none of us goes to all the time, trouble and expense to raise seedlings only to place them on a table at a public park and then have some random citizen just show up and help themselves to plants and then walk away without ever having 'met' any of us online or in person at the swap. We are not a free plant service for the entire population of Oklahoma....we are a group of gardening enthusiasts who 'meet' and interact online and share our love of gardening and the swap is based upon those relationships. When we set up in a public park, anyone can walk in (apparently, because it has happened) and help themselves to whatever they want without interacting with any of us ever. That's wrong in my opinion. If I wanted to give away plants to random folks I've never seen and likely will never see or hear from again, I'd just post a "FREE" listing on Craig's List or Freecycle and tell folks to come and get the plants if they want them.

I'm looking forward to the Spring Fling at Paula's and looking forward to seeing all the familiar faces, meeting new people and having a face to put with their name, meeting the children, spouses and significant others we've heard about, and sharing the plants. We won't know how having it in a private setting will work out until we've tried it. Maybe the majority of the folks who attend will have a preference for either a public site or a private site after we've tried the private site this year. Maybe we'll find that, apart from the obvious space limitations, there's not much difference. Who knows? I have never seen a nice, more caring and inclusionary group in my life than the folks here.

Carol, You made many many excellent points and I share your feelings, so "Dittoes".

Dawn

• Related Discussions

Spring Swap...aka 'Spring Fling!'

Q

Comments (31)
    Sorry, my internet(dail-up) was down because of the storm. Can't complain for less thatn $10 a month... Requests to hear more from me attended to... though I'm not sure what kind of info you're looking for. Open to questions. Hubs is attending OUHSC grad school in Epidemiology (got his bachelor's in Math). Been married for going on five years. My favorite color is blue, I used to like animals until I had a child. I got a BS in History with a minor in AmeriGov. My favorite books right now are the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, though I think my all time favorite might be Les Miserables. I'm extremely analytical and inquisitive--my recent conquests for knowledge have included sewing, quilting, using a digital camera correctly, veterinary work for an accident prone cat, instructing classical guitar (you get a different perspective as a teacher, naturally) and (of course) gardening. Gardening is less of fleeting interest than the rest though, because I see it as more of a responsibility to learn than anything else--you know, being able to feed yourself and beautify your land. Not sure how much to give away... I think my blood type is O...? We recently bought a house in the SW area of OKC and had one good plant this last year--zucchini, which for all I know is the easiest thing to grow on earth so it had nothing to do with me :) I recently bought some seeds to start a chocolate vine on my back fence, and as soon as I figure out what I want I'll get started on landscaping. I like lambs' ear, but only because it feels nice. It's really not very pretty. I like roses, but I don't want thorns around curious children, and I'm poor :) I think it's pretty safe to say that I have no natural ability in the area of growing plants, so I need more time with those that do, or have at least acquired that ability. Hope that's enough, and again, ask all the questions you want, but don't get mad if I don't respond immediately, I have limited internet access as my husband uses the computer for school/research, and our service stinks. Thanks for your time.
    ...See More

Spring Fling Swap 2012 Sign Up Thread

Q

Comments (146)
    The spring fling is in the morning, I'm excited. I know I'm new to the forum and to starting my own gardens but I'm still excited about the gathering and getting to meet so many new people. I haven't really introduced myself, so I'll give a small bio. My name is Rachel,I'm 23 years old and I live NE OK, near Tulsa. I'm originally from CA but my father was in the army when I was younger, and well...this is where we ended up. I've been with the same wonderful man for the last five years and we plan to get married. We bought a house, a fixer upper, this past fall and the front and back yards are in desperate need of plants, lol. I grew up with a wonderful mother, who loves plants and gardening, so Im really excited about fixing up my yards. Also, I work at a Lowes, in the outside lawn and garden, so I spend just about everyday taking care of plants and helping people select the right plants. I was going to bring a painting and a stuffed owl for door prizes, but my friend really wanted the painting so I'll try to find something else. Also, I found the seeds that I collected from my mothers garden, from this past fall. I'll bring them incase someone wants some. That way I'll have something to trade, and won't feel like such a mooch if someone gives me something. : ) I hope everyone sleeps good tonight and I can't wait to meet all of you. -Rachel
    ...See More

Spring Fling 2013 Sign-Up Sheet

Q

Comments (150)
    George just emailed me a massive list of seeds he is sending. I hope they get here on time! Cross your fingers. Now, I don't know how you all would like to deal with this. I can list the seeds here and we can have members speak up for what they would like to have. OR, we can split the packets into a few door prizes. It's up to you all! Seeds George is Sending to GW Spring Fling 2013 Empereur Alexandre Cuke, Baker Creek Delicious 51, Baker Creek ��" cantaloupe Collective Farm Woman, Cantaloupe ��" Baker Creek Old Timey Cornfield Pumpkin ��" 2009 seed Organic Multicolor Popcorn ��" probably Baker Creek Squash: Black Futsui ��" Baker Creek Crystal Apple Cucumber ��" Sustainable Seed Company Pipian from Tuxpan ��" c. argyrosperma grown for its seed. (Baker Creek) Angled Luffa ��" 2009 (one pkt) Evans Sweet Cantaloupe ��" green fleshed, developed in Oklahoma by Dr. John Wyche. Two packets. Black Jungle Butterbean ��" 2009 (1 pkt) http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/legumes/msg051013024705.html http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/legumes/msg0516190620005.html Kentucky Red Cowpea 2011 seed ��" 1 large pkt. Received at Gardenweb, Oklahoma forum spring fling in 2008, from Pauline Kincaid. Seed is brick red and flattened, much like a very small lima bean. Plants are vigorous, but not too inclined to climb. Pods are thick. White Cushaw 2012 seed ��" Rampant vines, very heat and drought resistant. Large, 20 lb. crook necked, fruit Moon & Stars Watermelon (white seeded) 2006 seed. ��" Should still grow. Extremely rare heirloom. Mesquakie Indian Corn ��" mix of 2007-2012 seed, Very colorful, hardy corn. Quite well adapted to our Oklahoma conditions. A dent corn, tending toward flint. Good for cornmeal. Woods Mountain Crazy Bean 2011 seed ��" Bush bean. Very well adapted to our hot conditions. Heirloom from the Fayetteville, AR area. Pods have strings, but are quite tender. High producer. There are NO commercial sources for this valuable seed. Georgia Long Cowpea 2007 seed ��" Yardlong. Heat resistant. Good for snaps. Needs poles as it has very long vines. I’ve had this seed germinate after over 10 years in an unrefrigerated jar. I received my seed in the 1980s from Virgil and Hazel Johnson of Liberty, MO; who in turn received their seed from Faxon Stinnet of Vian Oklahoma. Cooper’s Running Snap 2009 seed ��" pole bean. Heat resistant. Similar to Rattlesnake. Should be given 1’ space between plants. Heavy producer. Not a stringed bean. Similar to Kentucky Wonder in pod quality. Okra: Heavy Hitter 2012 seed (3 pkts) ��" New variety developed by Ron Cook of Moodys, OK. This is a branching okra, similar to Stewarts Zeebest, but with pods more like Clemson Spineless. Calico Willow leaf Pole Lima Jo
    ...See More

UPDATE: Petal Pushers 'Bring on Spring Fling'

Q

Comments (60)
    A big thank-you to Fran for the wonderful box I received yesterday. I'm so sorry to not be able to post until now. Fran sent a wonderful box of plants that I just got in the ground tonight. She sent: Coreopsis Sunray Sedum Goldstar Dianthus Firewitch Agastache Honey Bee Blue Also a wonderful assortment of seeds that I will be sowing this summer And some great teas. Thank you so much Fran. I do appreciate them all. It was a real welcome to work outside tonight. I have had a very hard day which is yet another turn on this roller coaster ride I have been on with this job situation over the past two and a half months. First I was losing my job then I was keeping it then I was losing it and then had info last week that led me to think I might be keeping it. But today it turned out to be a no. I will have something next year they have assured me but I really wanted to stay where I am at my home school that DS attends and I have been for the last three years. It doesn't look like that's going to happen and it is all very depressing to me. I know there are worse things and this may somehow work out for the best but it's hard to see it that way right now. I was so upset earlier that I forgot to take DS to his practice with his new team. DH thinks I am being a big baby and he's probably right but....I can't help it. So anyway, that's what's been holding me up lately in addition to job interviews. I hope you have received your box, Deb. I will still get these prize boxes out as soon as I can. -T
    ...See More
  • devilwoman
    14 years ago

Lisa, if the angel's trumpets you want are the bush type Datura, I have seeds from last year I can bring. I don't normally plant them since they reseed themselves profusely, but when I threw out the dead sticks of one that volunteered at the edge of my patio I did keep a few seeds as my daughter in Texas usually asks for them. If Dawn doesn't have any started, and you're not looking for another type, I'll be happy to bring some seeds with me.

Debra

• leava
    14 years ago

thankfully my daughter's wedding was last week and i am less psychotic now and can plan for fun for me....

i am bringing extra tomatoes, some weird varieties.will list later...thanx to my husband .i asked him to please put 2-3 seeds per little cup.he told me later he couldn't see the seeds well which explains the up to ten seedlings in little dixie cups......lol. So I transplanted them and have a BUNCH of the same few kinds as that is all that would fit under my shop lights even after buying one more light.

I badly miss my established herbs from the year several years back when drought took almost everything i had.veggies, flowers and herbs.i am just now starting all over again.

if anyone has established clumps of yarrow, tansy,lambs ear,sage officianalis,catnip or others i especially miss them, like long lost friends.would love a small clump of any of them.

i have made an herbal salve from organic calendula and comfrey,olive oil, lavender oil and beeswax for fifteen years.....and if i get it made by swap will bring a few to trade for clumps of herbs so i don't feel too nervy asking for them.we use it for skin rashes,dry or irritated skin, it is a standby for our family and i am out right now.

i am so excited, leava

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Debra,

Are yours the white flowered ones? If so, you might want to bring some for Lisa. I was out looking at my self-sown seedlings and there's is a purplish tinge to the stems, so they likely are purple-flowered ones. I'll still bring them, but Lisa and others probably would love to have some of your white-flowered ones too!

Dawn

• devilwoman
    14 years ago

Silly Gardenweb is doing it again! It's having tantrums over me posting a reply with the same title in this thread, so I'll try this again!

Yes, Dawn, the seeds I have are for the large, white-flowered variety. I'll bring some.

Leava, I can certainly dig up a clump of catnip for you. I don't know if the previous owner of my house grew them on purpose, but they are all over my backyard and in some pretty strange places. Just pulled one clump up from between the cracks in my patio a week ago!

Debra

• normansooner
    14 years ago

Paula -- thanks again for hosting the swap.I haven't been able to go to one before so am really looking forward to this one. I'm thinking of bringing rolls and/or bread but maybe rolls are included when you buy the chicken??? I have two card tables & one cafeteria-type table that I'll bring and I have extra folding chairs. Also, I'll bring large garbage bags. Have I missed a posting about drinks, ice etc? I can bring iced tea.

As to plants to share, I still have many, many of those @#$&! daylilies (ditch lilies) and a lot of single-blooming iris that I think are yellow--I lost track of my colors. This is only the second year for my reblooming iris so maybe I'll have some of those for a fall swap. I'm sure there are a few other ornamentals I'll find to bring.

Lisa--please,please for one or two of your white iris. Those are just beautiful.

I'm really anxious to meet all 'yall'!

Paula--as I told you, I live close by; I'm retired and have the time; and would be most happy to help you out with any of the getting ready.You have my phone number so just give a shout.

• Lisa_H OK
    14 years ago

Leava, you don't need lemon balm do you? I have it coming out of my ears :) I just hate to saddle some unsuspecting person with it! I just might have feverfew too.

Debra, I would love to have some of your datura seeds. I am wanting to underplant my hardy hibiscus with datura this year.

Dawn, you have datura and angel's trumpet (the tree kind)? I'm up for either :)

Woo Hoo, I am getting excited!

Lisa

• leava
    14 years ago

Debra, I would love any and all catnip clumps or seedlings, like to make cat toys.

Lisa,oh yes to the lemon balm,it is a special favorite, use it in tea and did you know if you rub the leaves on arms and legs it deters mosquitoes???? I have a little bit but it is in shade and does not make much.I use it in iced tea whenever i can steal a few leaves without croaking the plant.

leava

• owiebrain
    14 years ago

Lisa, if you could spare it, I'm desperate for some lemon balm. I managed to kill mine off a couple of years ago and haven't seen any at stores since then. I started some seed this year but I think I killed it, too.

(Maybe I should take the hint and admit I'm not meant to grow lemon balm?? LOL)

I can offer you a spare child in trade. Or, if you're absolutely sure you don't need one of those, I might have some plants. ;-)

Diane

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Leava,

Yea! You survived the wedding.

I'll be happy to bring you sage officianalis, but you'll have to put up with a large clump because that's all I have. (I planted too many, so you'll be doing me a huge favor by taking one off my hands.) I can bring catnip too...mine reseeds all over creation. I even have some popping up under the wooden porch, and I blame the cats for carrying the seed there since it is far, far, far from the garden. If Debra and I both bring catip, there will be plenty for everyone, I think. Debra, I have catnip all over. Apparently it is an herb that thinks it is a weed and it is on a quest for world domination. It sounds like yours and mine both go wherever they choose. (And to think that the first time I tried growing it from seed in flats, I had such a hard time getting it to grow! I just should have walked outside and thrown seed down on the ground!)

Do you want common everyday yarrow, Leava? The kind that grows wild in my pastures? If that's the kind you want, I have lots of the white-flowered ones, and sometimes a few of them bloom pink, but I won't know which kind of seedling I'm digging up and bringing with me. I've also got lemon balm, chamomile and regular chives if you're looking for any of those. I have mints too, if you or anyone else is looking for an invasive monster.

I also can bring four o-clock seedlings if anyone wants any. Most of mine are pink or fuschia-colored, but every now and then there are some white-flowered or yellow-flowered ones. I'm bringing some verbena bonariensis seedlings too. For some reason they reseeded all over the corn patch, even though it is a long way from their original location. Since verbena bonariensis is not well-known, I'll link an image of one so you can see what it looks like. They are real butterfly magnets.

Normansooner,

Dorice? Is that you? You're coming to the swap? Oh, that's so cool. I'm so looking forward to finally meeting you.

I'd love to have a ditchlily or two. Do I have anything listed you're looking for? Or, tell me what you're looking for and I'll see if I have it.

Dawn

• devilwoman
    14 years ago

I deliberately grew catnip while I was still in an apartment, but I grew it in containers. My understanding is that it and most mints, to which it's related, are very hard to contain once they get started. A quest for world domination does seem a very apt description.

I also have some other mint-family critter around. A friend thought it was also catnip, but the cats quickly set him straght. If someone would be interested in an unknown mint-type I'll try to find it again and bring some.

I have two types of daylilies I can dig up and bring. Both are orange, one dark and one a bit lighter. I also have tall red cannas, and a clump of naked ladies that isn't happy in shade so I thought I'd dig them up and offer them to a new home. The ones in front do quite well, in fact they are currently trying to take over the sidewalk to the front door, but a small group in the back is in so much shade they barely bloomed last year.

If anyone is interested in dandelions or henbit, I have lots of that too. ;)

Debra

• Lisa_H OK
    14 years ago

Diane, I could take a spare child in trade :) Oh, wait, I'm up to my ears as an educational advocate for one 17 year old, maybe I should wait until she's graduated :) Oh well, I'll take a plant or two instead :)

Leava, I think we can cover you and Diane both with lemon balm!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• normansooner
    14 years ago

Dawn -- yes, it's me (Dorice) and I am so anxious to meet you. I will want some of your lemon balm and I have just the place for keeping a little monster mint reined in. Something I've been wanting to do is to transplant some wild sand plums. Just the young stems with roots at the edge of the thicket.Do you (or anybody) have plum thickets on your acreage? If anyone is close to Norman, I (or DH!)would do the digging. Dawn, you can have a million of these ditchlilies.

Since I really haven't posted much in a long time, I've updated my Personal Page. It was waaay out of date. Dorice

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

This thread is moving so fast today I cannot keep up.

Lisa, I have large brugmansias in pots because they die in the ground here since it is slow-draining clay. The seedlings are daturas, but some of them can get 3' or 4' tall. I'll check the seed box to see if I have brug seeds. Thanks for posting the photo of V. bonariensis. I said I'd do it and I forgot. I was distracted by two roosters fighting and had to go outside and yell at them to break it up. It would be easier to be a one rooster family than to put up with two of them!

Debra, My favorite mint family plant is lion's tail, but it gets really huge and I haven't grown it in 3 or 4 years because it just gets too big for every place I've ever grown it. It needs its own planet. The other plant you have might be catmint. Cats are said to like it, but only one of mine likes it...and he loves it to death. He rolls on it daily and even eats it. It hardly gets a chance to bloom because he nips off all the new shoots.

I'll bring lemon balm too. Everyone needs one of these, and then if you have one, you'll have a million. You can use it to make lemon herb cookies and lemon herb tea or lemonade with lemon herbs added! It does help deter all kinds of biting insects if you grab a handful of leaves and rub them on your exposed skin. It needs space though, as it is a big mounding plant.

Dorice,

On our property, we have the taller, tree-form Mexican Plums that get pretty large. We had the thicket plums along our fence line area originally (before we put up the fence 14 years ago) and we cleared them all out. Let me ask around over the next couple of days and see if I can find a neighbor who'll let me dig some of theirs this weekend.

I'll take all the ditchlilies you give me. I have an actual bar ditch I want to plant them in! If you want for me to stop by your house and dig them up after we leave Paula's house, I can do that. I don't want for you to dig them all up by yourself!

Oh, and if anyone wants four o'clocks, my seedlings are popping up everywhere. That's a good thing, because in a colder year, they'll pop up the week after the swap. This week they're popping up the week before.

I can bring mint for anyone who wants it, but I've had it forever and don't remember which mint it is. It makes a great ground cover.

I HAVE to get outside now and water the broccoli. It is very hot and dry here and it is wilting. I understand the feeling....I feel wilted too out there in the sun. I'm glad more normal temps are returning tomorrow.

Dawn

• p_mac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Dorice!!! I don't have what is technically "wild sand plums". But I have a ridicules amount of volunteer Chickasaw Plums that are trying to come up EVERYWHERE!!! We have a large thicket that provides more than enough for us and I can't see relocating them to another part of our property. I've even got 8 extra gallon size buckets (I planted 8 red azealas this weekend). If you're interested, they're yours. And anyone else who might want some also. I think we can all help dig if I don't get them potted up before the Swap. DH say's they'll have to stay really moist until they take hold (kinda like blueberries).

Rolls would be good! I thought I'd provide tea (it's too hard to transport and I bought the COOLEST 3 gal dispenser at Sam's before Easter!!). I haven't seen anyone mention a good old-fashioned potatoe salad or coleslaw....I think we've got veggie trays and maybe a broccoli salad. Just keep it simple for yourself. Obviously, since I'm getting the fried chicken at Homeland...I believe in that motto!!

Glad we got back to talking about what we're bringing....I really hate that Rookiegardener got the short end of the stick that was waived. Kinda reminds me of the cougar thread from last year. Glad we got THAT outta the way!!!

Owiebrain - I'm taking head count of your car before you leave!!! LOL!!!!

We may need to start a "Thread II". Aren't we getting close to the limit?

Paula

• seedmama
    14 years ago

The limit is 150 posts per thread.

• owiebrain
    14 years ago

I finally finished my tomato grow-out list. Whew. So that means I now know what I have left for the swap (assuming I don't kill too much before then). I've posted the lists on my blog so you can get a preview of what I'll bring if there's something in particular you want to grab as soon as we arrive. Be forewarned, though, that many of them are pretty small because of my delay in seeding this year.

I'll see what else I can dig up for miscellaneous plants to bring.

Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Swap (and grow-out) list

• tigerdawn
    14 years ago

I must be busier than I thought. I just now found and read this thread!!

I plan to bring baby plants of greek oregano and winter thyme. I hope to find some tomato plants and I'm sure I'll come home with more than just that!

I love to bake, but there seems to be a lot of desserts already. What things are still needed?

• p_mac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Tigerdawn!!! I just learned that NormanSooner (aka Dorice) is thinking of bring rolls. Melissia just sent me an e-mail and she's bringing cups and ice for drinks (she's traveling too. She lives down around Dawn's area). I've been envious of your blog posts of cakes and cookies....but I say just use your imagination and make it easy on yourself! These "pot-luck" things ALWAYS turn out great. There's never a wrong thing to bring.

And I'm so glad you're bringing the greek oregano! Can I have dibs on at least one? Maybe the winter thyme too?....my herb growing has suffered horribly since I transplanted out here and I'm really trying to focus this year on getting the herbs established like I had in my former abode. I use them often in cooking and now, both my daughters do too! I think several others are bringing some varieties of herbs so this will be great!
    Glad you found the thread! See ya soon! Shot me an e-mail or FB me if you've got any other questions.

Paula

• impatience_7
    14 years ago

I can bring coleslaw.

Everyone seems to have these plants they can eat! lol I just have things to look at. (I sure would like some of the Angel Trumpets-and I promise not to eat them).

I have ornamentals like Hellebores, Variegated Solomon's Seal and some Tricertis (Toad Lily). Until that doggone ice storm I only had shade, can ya tell? Is anyone interested in these plants?

Imp

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Imp,

I'm bringing angel's trumpets.

Oh, dear, did you lost ALL your shade or only some of it? I hate the way ice storms destroy a shade garden by taking out all the tree canopy. I bet someone would love to have those plants because I know we have some shade gardeners here...unless the ice storm got their trees too.

Dawn

• laura_lea60
    14 years ago

Imp,

I would love to have a toad lilly! Am sure I will have something for you!

Laura

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Imp - Yes, yes, yes, bring those shade plants. I know just the place for a few. My hosta could use some interesting company.

I have never grown a hellebore, but I would like to. I picked one up in Lowes last year and carried it around for awhile trying to decide where I could plant it. I finally put it back down and walked away, but I sure did want it. Some things you need to plan for a little.

• carsons_mimi
    14 years ago

Paula,

I think I mentioned this during our email exchange but since you've been a very busy lady I thought I'd post that I'll be bringing a couple of finger food type items. Let me know if you need any last minute help or another "fill-in" type of food.

By any stroke of luck, will someone be bringing any Giant Marconi (red) peppers or Jimmy Nardello sweet peppers to the swap? I've tried twice to start them from seed and I'm beginning to think I have bad seeds. Everything else I started from scratch popped up with little effort on my part. If someone has extra of those two, may I request one plant of each variety?

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and certainly appreciate Paula's generosity in hosting our event.

Thanks!
    Lynn

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Lynn, I didn't plant the Giant Marconi, and I had terrible luck with the Red Marconi this year. I finally got one plant, but I have the regular size yellow one if you want me to bring you one. I just got some seeds this past week for Jimmy Nardello so haven't started any of them yet. Is it a good one?

• leava
    14 years ago

Dawn, thank you for the offer of the sage.I am going to use it medicinally and also love to use it in clay. On the yarrow,I am looking for the gold, I forgot the norm was white.I have a little of pink trying to come back despite dh mowing over it regularly.I love to dry the gold for fall bouquet.

Oh plums,would love to have plum bush/tree starts.Do they need lots of space?

i hope to get a lot of plants set out this weekend to see what i have room for .......lol should be interesting....
    i swear i go so manic in spring i should have my keys and checkbook in a safe.

Leava

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

Dawn, I was on my knees in the garden today and I remembered that you said you bought me a Yummy Pepper, and I didn't even thank you. I am excited that you found one, and feel blessed that you thought of me. I couldn't remember which thread it was on so I have been sitting here using "find" and searching every thread.

I put seven more tomato plants in the ground today. I need to start potting up the others because they are in such a small cup that I have to water twice a day.

I put bush beans down one side of my walkway and have reserved the other side for peppers. I didn't get that area tilled today, but hope to start putting peppers in within a week. They are still small so I have plenty of time. It hasn't rained yet but we did feel a few sprinkles in the late afternoon. I was mulching tomato plants like mad but no rain came, but we are still on for the next two days. It would be perfect for my garden, but I could sure use a few more days of hard work before it happens. My DH says he can't believe how much I have accomplished this week, but I can never get as much done as I would like to do.

I had to run to town yesterday, and when I opened my car door it smelled funny in my car. Seems I bought mulch and cow manure to use in containers a few days ago, and only remembered to unload the bags I needed to use that day. LOL Oh, how I love Spring!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Carol,

It's OK that you forgot about 'Yummy' and didn't say 'thank you'. lol

In their book, PASSALONG PLANTS, Felder Rushing and Steve Bender say that you cannot thank someone for sharing a plant with you or it won't grow....apparently it is a old southern tradition. So, um, no thanks are necessary and maybe for the sake of your 'Yummy' pepper, we should pretend those words never came out of your mouth. I was just excited to see it at the store, esp. after we'd been searching for that type of pepper or seed recently. I hope it is 'the' one.

We had overcast skies so it stayed a bit cooler, but I never felt rain was imminent. However, I heard thunder on and off all afternoon and evening from the west...it must have been way out west because we're not supposed to have rain very close to us this evening.

We could use rain here, but I'd be happy if it would wait until about Wed. and let me get some things finished first. No matter how much I try, I never finish my 'to do' list that I have in my head on any given day in spring. I do love spring too, and I love it all the more because it isn't summer! Once the real heat arrives in July, I really cut back on the hours spent outside.

At least you and I live in relatively quiet places....so far this year, we haven't had earthquakes, volcanoes or hurricanes at your house or at mine. Of course, the year is young yet.

That brings to mind another opportunity for a gathering....an Earthquake Festival in Central OK....maybe around Jones?

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

I'll skip earthquake day if you don't mind. LOL I lived in Alaska, so I have felt several.

This is just the perfect time of year to be in the garden, isn't it? If I get up early, I can work several hours in the shade in one part of my garden, then in the late afternoon I am somewhat shaded again. But since I don't stop just because I am in the sun, I already have a farmers tan. LOL

I have a tree in the fence line at the south end of my garden. The shade isn't much of an issue since afternoon sun shines in OK, but the darn roots are enough to drive you crazy. Not only do you hit them when you dig, the roots are not even totally covered so they are a hazard when you walk, but I really hate to cut it because I enjoy the shade when I stop to rest. And I do stop to rest. My neighbors probably wonder why I am sitting in the back yard when I could be in a much cleaner, nicer place. I sit and rest, drink, and watch the chickens through the fence. Every now and then I toss them a worm just to see the chase. I am easily entertained.

• p_mac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok you guys - enuf of thanking me for hosting the swap....I really do appreciate all the appreciation, but enuf! I'm just an ordinary person that took advantage of an extra-ordinary opportunity. ANY one of you would have done the same if everything else was in the right place. I'm just lucky in that respect. If I get any more praise, I'm gonna expect a nomination to sainthood soon...and we ALL know that ain't gonna happen. LOL!

I think we've got all the food bases covered. To everyone that posted or sent me an e-mail (that I haven't answered)...YES!!! It's all good! And to everyone else that are deciding what to bring for plant swaps.....there's going to be an AMAZING plethera to choose from! I'm so humbled to be able to host the meeting place for all this. Really!!! DH and I took another tour tonite and we've got lots of plums and even blackberries to share for those that want any!

Only 8 more days!!!!! I can't hardly wait!

Paula

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

I was hoping that Jay was going to be there. Do you think we should buy a tomato crown just in case?

• seedmama
    14 years ago

Dawn, I think the earthquake festival is a grand idea. We're not far from Jones so we feel most all of the ones centered there. Back in the fall when they started occurring regularly it seemed surreal. They've become so frequent now that I almost don't notice them. Neighbors no longer pick up the phone to say did you feel that? And I've stopped straightening the pictures on the wall. I just make it all the way through the house and we get another one. There have been 53 in Oklahoma so far this year. We've felt more than our fair share.

We try to keep a sense of humor about it, since there is absolutely nothing else we can do. I think the festival would be a great thing.

Seedmama

• impatience_7
    14 years ago

Dawn, didn't lose but lots of limbs and one large "white bud" (the darn thing was 20 feet tall-Red buds don't get that tall around here, but this white one was on steroids. Still have a 50 foot oak and a couple of large pecans-really large.

The thing is that I have some sun now and would love to try a few tomato plants. I remember the wonderful tomatoes of my youth (yes, the 50s and 60s,sigh) that were acidic, large and fabulous. My friend brought some to a gathering that she bought at a road side stand a few years ago. I only ate tomatoes that day and passed up all the other goodies. I thought that those tomatoes were just nostalagia. Nope, they are out there. Do any of you have these kinds?

Do any of you have tomatoes that fit this bill (or have any idea about what the devil I am talking about? If yes, I sure would like a few of thosel I also would like some herbs that would look pretty as well. I have thyme, parsley, chives. I always like to get basil when I can find some and would love to grow some ' baby field greens" as is written on the sacks at the store. being able to pick a salad out of the yard would be a dream come truel

I just have to fight the infernal bamboo for sun spots.

An Angel Trumpet! I just love them.

Wish I could post pics so I could show you my spots I want planted with food!

Took an Ambien and I am now not making any sense at all. More laterrrrrrrrrr.

• elkwc
    14 years ago

Carol,
    Is this a crown of thorns? LOL. I know I don't deserve any crown. As my mentally handicapped friend Ben says. A pot knot on the head sometimes to keep me straightened out is all I need and deserve. LOL. A crown and my head would swell so much it wouldn't fit anyway. Jay

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Carol, I've been digging pecan tree roots out of the garden this week. I love the tree and appreciate its shade but wish its roots would stay out of the garden. Having a tree west of the garden really pays off in July and August because it gives some of the plants a break from the sun during a few of the afternoon hours.

I have my farmer's tan already started too, and even sunburnt my neck the other day when I had my hair up in a ponytail all day and wasn't wearing a hat. Guess I'm a redneck...or was for a few days.

I love watching the chickens too, and when they see me headed their way, they always assume I have a worm (NOT an earthworm, folks, the pesty kinds of caterpillars) with me and stampede towards me. I try to evenly distribute the worms so the little tiny banty hens get some, but it usually is a moment of sheer chaos.

Paula, Now that you mention it, I did nominate you for sainthood last week. Saint Paula. How does that sound? I think we're the ones feeling both humbled and honored by yours and Ken's gracious hospitality.

Seedmama, I didn't realize the earthquakes were so close to you. I've never felt one (which is OK) but sometimes they happen around Carter County or near Ada. I think the Ada area (specifically the area around the small town of Tupelo) had one yesterday or the day before.

What could we do at an Earthquake Festival? All I can think of is that we could make those Cub Scout/Science Fair type earthquakes that you make erupt with baking soda and vinegar, and we could make Earthquake Cake. If I was Jones, I'd schedule an Earthquake Festival and make money off this persistent swarm of quakes. Oklahoma has already had about as many quakes in 2010 as it had in all of 2009!

Impatience, We have all kinds of tomatoes. I'm sure that someone will have some of the more acidic types. I'm bringing over 100 plants myself, but won't know for sure which ones I'm bringing until I finish putting all the ones in the ground and containers that I'm keeping. Taste perception is odd, so a tomato that one person loves, another person won't like at all, but Rutgers or Sioux probably are like the ones you remember from the 1950s and 1960s. Once I know which varieties I'm bringing, I'll let you know which of them tends to have the more tart 'tomato taste' and not just the sweetness.

Greens are best in spring, fall or winter and can't take our summer heat. The days we've had in the 80s are already making my lettuce plants a little bit wilty and cranky.

I'm going to get my DH to build me a salad table so I can grow rabbit-free greens this fall and winter. I guess I'll still have to cover it with something to keep the deer and raccoons from dining from it. I'll link a salad table below that resembles the one I want to build. You can grow lettuce in the ground, and I do, but you have to fight a lot of pests for the greens. I'm thinking the salad table would (hopefully) at least keep the sow bugs and pill bugs away.

Carol, Well, he SHOULD be happy to have a Tomato Crown, because otherwise (Jay, are you paying attention here?) we could make him the Elvis Tomato King and put him in a white outfit with all those little metal decorative studs and shiny things. (Seedmama, you could each us how to make the Elvis Tomato King an appropriate Elvis-style outfit right?)

Jay, See...doesn't a crown sound less ridiculous? We sure are going to miss you at the Spring Fling. If you change your mind and decide you can make it after all, we'd be thrilled.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Example of A Salad-Growing Table

• elkwc
    14 years ago

If you put much metal on it I won't be flying for sure. Either that or red faced by the time I get through the scanner. LOL. Jay

• seedmama
    14 years ago

Dawn, I experienced my first earthquake while living in Japan. It was in the middle of the night and a very rude awakening. An earthquake is a funny thing, because by the time your brain processes it and you realize what it is,it is over, and you're left standing there thinking was that what I thought it was? That was especially true last fall when the first few hit. Now there's no question, and the ones in the daytime don't really bother me. The ones at night irritate me because they intentionally target that point in my sleep cycle whereby I will not be able to return to sleep. Once again, how rude!

Yes, I have experience with white satin jumpsuits studded with rhinestones and grommets. Happy to help in any way I can.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Seedmama,

You lived in Japan? I bet that was a fascinating experience.

I'm sorry. I couldn't help mentioning the Elvis suit. It seemed so appropriate for the Tomato King, especially if he won't wear his tomato crown.

Jay,

At least here in the US, you have the option of flying. So many folks stranded in Europe don't have that option right now.

I couldn't figure out why volcanic ash was stopping air traffic and then I heard a guy on the news say volcanic ash is not like fireplace ash. Instead it is more like little chunks of ground glass mixed with dirt and will get sucked into the aircraft engines, melt and stick to stuff, stall engines and cause crashes. Oh, well, now I understand why planes are grounded in many parts of Europe.

On the other hand, if you happened to be traveling in Europe right now with your Tomato King crown and your Elvis Tomato King suit, you could entertain crowds of stranded travelers.

Dawn

• elkwc
    14 years ago

Dawn,
    Being a Mechanical Technician another time I assumed everyone knew what I do. Yes what he says is a good explanation. A jet engine is a huge turbine or huge turbocharger. They suck in huge amounts of air. On our stationary turbines we have huge filter systems that protect the engine from harm. On the smaller turbochargers the filter system is smaller. Without the filter system any dirt, particle in the air sandblasts everything it hits. Whether the damage is immediate or gradual depends on size and quantity of the particles in the air. Flying through air with lots of dirt in it is also harmful to a jet engine. I know grounding the planes is inconvenient to many but the smart thing to do. Jay

• devilwoman
    14 years ago

One other problem with the ash from the volcano in Iceland is that it's erupting from underneath a glacier. The cold water cools the lava causing it to become sharp glass which would scratch the exterior surfaces of a plane, including the "windshield" the pilots look out of and the leading edge of the wings. The earlier eruption of this volcano, about a month ago, was not coming up under a glacier. This time it is.

Debra

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Can y'all imagine being stranded in Europe, and you're trying to get home? Maybe you have a job to get back to? A family crisis you're trying to fly home to? Maybe a death in the family and a funeral to attend? Or, your European vacation is over and you've spent your money and now you're going to have to pile up credit card debt because you cannot live indefinitely in an airport? I have heard there is chaos in certain cities, with airports overflowing with stranded passengers, train stations trying to handle the huge influx of folks for whom a train trip is a great substitute, etc. That, of course, doesn't help anyone from another continent unless they can take a train to an airport far away enough from the ash plume that the airport is still putting planes into the air.

I believe Iceland is a beautiful nation with very good people, but they have a mess over there right now. I understand flooding is a big possibility as the heat melts nearby ice, etc. Dr. Jeff Masters at Weather Underground (wunderground.com) wrote a great blog entry yesterday on the erruption and its effect on the atmosphere and air traffic. I haven't been back today if he's updated it to reflect the additional erruptions.

From being married to an airport police officer, I can tell you that when people are stranded in/near an airport, they get really cranky after the first few hours and lots of drinking, fighting, and generally ugly behavior can ensue. And, of course, there's all those medical issues....like travelers whose daily medication is running out, etc. Problems of all sorts just begin piling up on top of one another. I wouldn't want to be within ten miles of any of those airports where planes are not departing, because you just know that nobody is happy.
    Dawn

• carsons_mimi
    14 years ago

Well, the rain has put a halt to any additional planting today so I'm catching up on all the fast flying posts.

Jay, I'm disappointed that you won't be attending the spring fling next weekend. I was looking forward to meeting you in person and listening to your gardening experiences. I've learned quite a lot from you already so since I won't be able to thank you in person, I'll just say thank you here.

Carol, forgive me but I didn't respond to your earlier question about the Jimmy Nardello sweet pepper. Everything I've ever read about it indicates this is a "must grow" variety for its sweetness. I've never grown it before but I believe a few on the forum have so maybe we'll get their first hand account of how it did for them. I was at Horn Seed in OKC about a month ago and saw they had some beautiful Giant Marconi plants and I thought to myself "I'll have some of those soon" and smiled as I past them by. Well, after two failed seed attempts, yesterday I decided to just break down and purchase a plant. After a terribly disappointing trip to Atwoods in Norman, I stopped by Horn on the way home and there were three miserable looking marconi plants left. Needless to say, I left them right where they sat. This elusive pepper is quickly becoming a pain in my posterior. I should just give up the fight but I'm hard-headed and determined to grow these two varieties this year. If by some miracle there are any signs of life before next weekend from my last seed attempt, I'll bring you some baby seedlings of both!

Paula, blackberries....? Hmm, that sounds interesting. However, they would have to come with a "blackberries for dummies" tutorial before I could even consider your offer. lol

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Lynn

• elkwc
    14 years ago

Dawn,
    On the news earlier today they were telling about a lady who was in the US and had to have an emergency surgery so couldn't fly home when she was supposed to. Then when they released her to fly there are no flights being allowed in so will have to stay here another week. She is now out of money is a strange city, in a foreign country. And they also found during her hospital stay she has gall stones. No I wouldn't want to be in their shoes right now. I will keep them all in my prayers. Jay

• seedmama
    14 years ago

Dawn,
    We have a family policy about what gets posted on the internet, or otherwise distributed electronically. It's killing me, because I'd love to share. I'll bring prints on Saturday, and the suit too if I can squeeze it in the car without getting plant dirt on it. Fair warning: you'll have to listen to the stories too!

• elkwc
    14 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. They are much appreciated. If I can make it I will. I know it will be lots of fun. And always nice to put faces with names. And like I tell everyone. I'm like a Panhandle tumble weed. You never know when I will blow in, how long I'll stay before I blow on. Jay

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    14 years ago

Lynn, I hope the rain doesn't totally ruin your entire weekend. I don't know about the rest of y'all, but we have rain in the forecast for every day for the next week. I believe our best chance of rain (if they haven't changed it again) is tonight. I'll just keep trying to plant in the raised beds when it isn't raining. We're kind of at the point where we'll miss a lot of prime growing time if it gets too muddy to plant. On the other hand, though, weeds are easy to pull from moist soil, though not from heavy mud.

Seedmama, I'm looking forward to seeing the photos and hearing ALL the stories. An occasion like that doesn't come along very often, and I want to hear all about it. I bet it was amazing.

Jay, Just tumble on down to Paula's and see how many people you'd make happy. Carol and I promise to behave and not force you to wear the Tomato King crown if you do come after all.

OK, my rest break is over. If I go back outside now, I ought to be able to finish the raised bed of peppers I'm planting and mulching today. Even though I keep hearing thunder to our northwest and west, it still is dry here, so far. I hope I didn't just jinx us by saying that.

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    14 years ago

We just about got a full days work done before the rain started here. Right now it is perfect rain, just nice and slow and has been for a couple of hours. It still looks like a big rain is coming toward us so I hope it stays nice and soft. I planted small peppers today, but I just went out and looked at them and looks like they are loving the rain.

I have 10 tomato plants in containers, and 15 in the garden, so I am making progress, although slow. I am quickly filling my space.

After the rain ran me inside, I starting potting up tomato plants. I had left them in very small cups but they were starting to get root bound. I have part of them back outside in the rain now, but have to make a WM run to get more cups so I can finish. What a slow job. From the looks of the weather map, they will still get rain if I can get them outside before I go to bed.

I told Jay that if it does turn out that he can come that we could meet somewhere and travel together so we don't add to the parking problem.

I thought of a couple of things about the swap so I think I'll start a new thread.

• plantermunn
    14 years ago

We will not be at the swap this year.

I do have the left over money from the collection for the pavilion though. I could send it along to someone if they would like to spend it on door prizes or something.

• jo3ponies
    14 years ago

I posted too late to get in on the Spring Fling but have lots of eggplant seedlings to share. I also share many varieties of cacti and herbs. I am in southwest Oklahoma, west of Chickasha, north of Lawton. Anybody else in this area and we'll get together?
    jo