SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
p_mac

Spring Fling Swap 2012 Sign Up Thread

p_mac
12 years ago

The OK Garden Forum's annual Spring Fling & Plant Swap will be held Saturday, April 28, 2012 beginning around 11:00 ish and wrapping up around 2 or 3 p.m. It will be held at my (p-mac) acreage in far north east Norman, just north of Lake Thunderbird. The purpose of this gathering is to see old friends, meet new ones, and swap plants & other garden related items. In recent years we've had close to 80 in attendance plus a whole lot of fun!

Most common question: "What am I supposed to bring?" That's easy enough. As the word "Swap" implies, bring what you have and give as good as you get. In addition to plants, people bring a covered dish to share, a door prize, and a cash contribution toward the facility. This brings up the next most common question: "I don't have any plants to swap. Can I still come?" Well of course and you will be welcome! If you don't have plants, bring an extra door prize, a jumbo size covered dish or up the cash ante toward facilities. Someone travelling from far away may bring a gazillion plants to share but no hot food, while a person living closer might bring a hot sliced ham and few plants. No plants to share? Bring extra door prizes to go with your covered dish. You have no plants, you have no plans to take any home and you won't be staying to eat or win a door prize? Make a contribution toward facilities and call it good. There are no set rules because we want everyone to feel comfortable coming for the social aspect. Generally, think about what you intend to leave with and contribute in kind.

There are two kinds of trades that take place at the Swap. First - there are the pre-arranged trades between two people in attendance. Pre-arranged trades are to be clearly labeled with TO and FROM, then placed on a designated table. Labeling and placing them in a brown paper bag helps. This year the pre-arranged table will be located a far distance from the main event to minimize the confusion about who those items should go home with. Please remember not to take items from that table unless they were specifically brought for you.

In the second category there are open-season trades for everyone to choose what they like. What kind of things do people bring? In addition to plants you can bring seeds, seed starting trays and containers, plant markers, plastic pots, cardboard, or anything else you would like for someone to put to good use.

Aside from food and plants to swap and share, we hope that everyone will bring a door prize because it's more fun when everyone gets to take one home. Multiple contributions to the door prize table are always appreciated. This is also a good time to call attention to the door prize table. Those items aren't for open-season swapping. Look for the sign on the table before you snag the Holy Grail! What should I bring for a door prize? The sky is the limit, so I'll mention some items that were a hit in the past. Walls-o-Water, homemade jams and jellies, garden-themed Christmas ornaments, Tomato Tone, garden gloves, bird feeders, canning supplies, canning and gardening books, outdoor thermometers, half gallon of goats milk, tomato totes. Door prizes need not break the bank. Just think of something you would be excited to receive.

Bring lawn chairs and sunscreen, boxes or bags to haul your loot home. I have stickers in my yard, so keep that in mind when choosing your shoes that morning. I already have cups, but perhaps one or two people who are travelling far will offer to bring paper goods in lieu of a covered dish? Someone else might sign up to bring the ice. And speaking of ice, in the interest of all guests feeling welcome, adult beverages are better left at home.

Can I bring my children? The answer to this varies from year to year, but at my house the answer is always yes. I have an acreage where children can run and play, while still being seen and supervised. There are a couple of kid-friendly activities already in the works. My own grandkids will probably be there. For the duration of the party, we are all playing outdoors, adults and kids alike. I'll be reminding them that morning to use the porta potty and keep their games outside.

Can I bring friends? Bring as many as will fit in one car. LOL If we find that RSVPS for non-forum members push us over potty and parking capacity, I made need to make a retraction to ensure that participating forum members aren't excluded. And naturally, guidelines for "swapping" as described above along with what to bring apply to non-forum members as well.

If you plan to attend, please POST HERE, then send me an e-mail with the link provided on "My Page". The email doesn't need to say much, but do let me know who specifically is coming, with a break out of kids. In addition to headcount, the separate email ensures I have a good address for you when it is time to e-mail you a map to our location. If the e-mail does not go through, please send it to either Okiedawn or Seedmama. They have graciously agreed to pass them along to me. Special thanks to Seedmama for helping me draft this!

I have tried to address the most common questions and ongoing concerns. If you have any questions or if there's something I've missed, please speak up! I'm really looking forward to seeing you ALL!

LET THE PLANNING BEGIN!!!!!!

Comments (146)