SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muyin_gw

Newbie qs about clumps, clover, etc.

Muyin
10 years ago

Hi all,

I'm new to organic lawn care and have much appreciated the FAQ and posts on this forum. But I had some questions I couldn't find answers to in other posts. First some background: we moved into our home two years ago, had sod out front and hydroseed on the side and backyard. We seeded the bare spots with Scotts starter seed and used some chemical fertilizer last year. I'm not sure what kind of grass the sod is but the Scotts mix I think was a mix of KBG, ryegrass and fescue.
Questions:

1) The grass in the back has grown up in clumps. Should I try to put more seed down in the bare areas between the clumps, or let the grass grow into them naturally?

2) Those bare areas between clumps are being occupied by weeds. We want a mix of grass and clover for our lawn, and we have some clover growing already. Is there a way to take some of the clover that's there and grow it in other parts of the lawn? (clover is not a weed in my mind, btw)

3) There is a lot of black medic growing in the backyard (some in front as well). I was thinking of making that a low priority and get rid of it only after other things like trying to improve soil quality. Is that advisable or should I get rid of it soon? I thought they're related to clover and so might help with nitrogen after they die but I'm not sure.

4) It seems much of the sod out front has died; when I look closely at the front lawn, I can't see the soil; I have to dig through the dead sod to get to the soil underneath. Is that the same as "thatch"? If so, I gather that I should put some material on it to eat it up (I've seen other posts on de-thatching). But if it's not thatch, how should I look at it? Should I try to get rid of it, and if so, how?

Thank you for any help!

Comments (3)

Sponsored