SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Getting rid of Bermuda Grass

christie_sw_mo
14 years ago

I have a plan for getting rid of my Bermuda grass in a big enough area to put in a couple raised beds for veggies. I'm not sure it will work but I hope so. I know from experience that covering it with newspapers or cardboard, then mulch or soil won't kill it. I bet even a couple of feet of heavy soil wouldn't smother it because that's what it's used to.

I think I can get rid of it with Round-Up if I spray it repeatedly all summer. The trick is to let it grow TALL before you spray it (more surface area). If you spray it when it's short, it doesn't absorb as much. It has to be sprayed on a hot sunny day. Round-Up works better with sun and the Bermuda will be actively growing. It has no affect on dormant plants.

I've thought about putting a sheet of plywood at the bottom of my raised beds but the soil wouldn't drain and I'd have to make the beds deeper.

I don't know the best way to kill the weed seeds that are there. I'm afraid when I pull/dig up veggies, I'll be pulling up seeds to the surface and I don't want to get the Bermuda grass started all over again. Their seeds stay viable for many years. I've been looking on the web and I think I might try putting clear plastic over the area in late summer to kill seeds but from what I've read, the heat it generates only kills some types of seed.

Should I just move?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida