SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_bochonko

Just beginning how bad have a I messed up?

Kathy Bochonko
17 years ago

Hi, I am in Georgia, north of Atlanta and this is my first year trying organic. Fired the lawn service a year ago, but dh kept buying weed/feed chemicals last year, because I was still "researching." So this spring I decided to get serious and went out to buy Corn Gluten Meal, Long story short, but I unknowingly bought Corn Gluten (even though I had specifically asked for CGM. Of course I didn't realize this until after dh applied it. That was about 2/24. Then I finally located a source for actual CGM and applied that yesterday, 3/15 at 20 lbs per 1000. I was also sold Bradfield Organics Alfalfa based fertilizer and applied that at the same time at 10 lbs per 1000. I have a currently dormant, Bermuda lawn (except for a small area of fescue in my backyard.) I realize that I am probably about 10-14 days late applying my CGM. I have just read many threads on this forum and am now wondering, what should I do next? Do I need to apply compost when the Bermuda is starting to break dormancy or while it is still dormant? Should I apply anymore fertilizer this growing season or wait till fall? Do you fertilize Bermuda in the fall since it will be going dormant? The guys who sold me the CGM & ferilizer mentioned liming my lawn to conteract the acidic soil here, but I haven't seen that discussed anywhere here. Any thoughts on lime?

The link below is the company I bought my products from. They were very helpful. They have an organic lawn service but it was way too expensive but he was totally willing to tell me all the products he uses. They sold me some of the stuff but that is not normally what they do. I am sure I can probably find it cheaper elsewhere in the future, but trying to figure how much I really need to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nature Turf

Comments (5)

Sponsored