SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eli_in_the_weeds

Just Seeded Marathon II - Did I Mess Up on Top Coat?

10 years ago

Hi! First time doing this! Glendale CA zone 9b, full sun lawn from seed. Prior grass/weed matrix killed off past spring with Roundup. Power raked, removed debris. Rototilled, removed debris. Waited till fall, flattened/graded, rolled with roller. Sprinklers adjusted and ready to go. Worked in advised amount of planting compost. Rolled/flattened again wet and dry. Looked great; quite happy for first time. Fertilized with advised amount of balanced fertilizer. Seeded with advised amount of Marathon II. 900 square feet btw. Ran the roller over the seed to press it into moist dirt.
Added top coat (commercial bagged version includes compost and mushroom stuff, probably peat too). But instead of rolling it on with a basket roller, I flung out from the bags and then smoothed it around with the landscape rake. I noticed quite a few seeds getting picked up and mixed around with the top coating material when spreading it around.
My question is this: Did I blow the project by picking up the seeds and mixing them in the top coat material? To clarify I didn't really dig in with the rake deep and mess up the soil *that* much. Should I just wait and see what spings up and re-seed bare areas?
Also, I plan to water 10 minutes 3x per day at 7 AM, noon and 7 PM. Does that sound ok?
Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (8)