SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amunk01

Is this frost damage or over exposure (inadequate hardening off)

amunk01
11 years ago

Hi there, this is my first year for any gardening especially vegetable so bare with me. I am wondering if someone can tell me what I have done wrong with my Cascadia sugar snap peas. Planted from seed 4/1 indoors in seed starter pellets, germinated 4/5, potted up 4/13 in miracle grow potting mix for container gardening, growing beautifully until today. Started moving outdoors in shade gradually increasing time 4/16 (weather permitting). All my seedlings were moved into the greenhouse yesterday due to lack of room indoors (my husband was tired of the "jungle kitchen/dining room" with "custom dirt floors"). This greenhouse is cheap with simply a thick plastic sheet exterior, but maintains ~3-4° temp difference at night (after a sunny day).
Last night of course was 40° outside so I was scared to death all my hard work would be dead this morning, much to my surprise everthing is perfect Except the peas (which are supposed to be more cold tolerant than many other plants I have going). I am growing multiple varieties of tomatoes, peppers, beans, herbs, squash, cucumber, watermelon, beans, scallions and a few companion flowers: all appear healthy and unfazed by the cold night.
I am wondering if this damage can be due to not hardening off adequately? Sun burn? Or is it good old fashioned frost damage/cold exposure. I have a blanket over the top of the greenhouse for now and am only allowing 3hrs of direct morning sunlight, otherwise its covered but the front panel is open during the day for plenty of circulation/temperature regulation. My seedlings were getting this much sunlight on the porch already so the greenhouse is the only variable. Any thoughts/feedback is greatly appreciated!
I can't believe how incredibly enjoyable this much work is! Gardening is so rewarding and I haven't even harvested anything yet!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21