SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glen3a

What is your method for 'hardening off' bananas back outdoors

glen3a
13 years ago

Just curious - for people who dig up their bananas and store them in a cool basement, garage, or root cellar for winter, how do you go about re-introducing your plants to outdoors in spring?

For the plants that I grew over winter as houseplants, or even the one that's in a pot that was stored in the semi dark basement, I put on the north deck and even draped a burlap screen in front of it - hoping to gradually get it used to sun once again.

Then I have another plant that I dug up in fall and stored the root in the basement. It does have some green growth. I am wondering how adapt this one to outdoors. That is, wait until the proper time and just dig a hole and plant in the flower bed, or maybe pot up temporarily and then gradually get it used to better light? Maybe if I plant directly in the flower bed I could screen it for a few days to get it used to sun once again?

No matter how I try, the 'indoor' leaves always seem to gradually be damaged but the new growth seems okay. I just don't want to kill the plants after trying to store over the winter.

Last year I had one plant that I stored the root and then potted up and it rotted, so I know I have to be careful not to overwater until it's in active growth.

Thanks!

Glen

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County