SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elkwc

Hardening off

elkwc
15 years ago

Open to all opinions on this. I built a large cold frame I want to use in hardening off this year. My plan it to put the plants on the east side of my garage where they get some morning direct sun and shade in the afternoon for a few days then move them to the frame. And during the day when I open it I will put I believe 60% shade cloth over them. And than when I get home around 5 will pull it back some for some afternoon sun. Have never tried this.I put out a few by the garage today and plan on moving them by the weekend to see how it goes before I put a big bunch out. Does anyone think 60% will let too much sun in? I've went from the east side of the garage to the garden where I put them in a post hole with a 5 gallon bucket around them and they have done fine as this limits the sun and I have put a little straw in the top at times to filter the sunlight a little. And I will do a few that way this year. The thing with the cold frame is it will hold over 180 plants and if I see a cold night coming can just close the lids and cover and they should be fine I hope. I hope this eliminates the carrying back and forth of plants I've done the last few year. I've had several ask for plants so going to try this. Hopefully next year I will have a greenhouse to use also. Jay

Comments (4)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus