SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aclum

Hardening Off Problem???

aclum
16 years ago

Hi,

I've been hardening off my seedlings for a couple of weeks, bringing them in at night until recently. This past week, our nighttime temps have been at or above 40 degrees, so I've left them out overnight under sort of a hoop house arrangement. So far so good. About a week ago, I repotted them from 8 oz cups to 18 oz cups with Miracle-Grow potting soil. They've done great, nice and stocky and green. This has been my best bunch of seedlings ever!

Well.... today I went out to check on them and several had their leaves curling up sort of like a celery stalk - with whitish leaf edges. I'd given them a good soak when I repotted them, and they're not quite dried out enough for another watering.

So, I'm wondering what might be going on. It's been very sunny and in the high 60's today. Might they be sort of sunburned (although they've been outside during the day for a couple of weeks now)?

When I take off the plastic covering in the morning, there's always alot of condensation on the plastic and I'll see moisture drops on the plants after I remove the cover. Could there be some sort of disease starting? The plants are pretty close together right now with leaves overlapping.

I'd say about 8-10 of my 42 plants seem to be affected to one degree or another.

Thanks for any thoughts on this - what the problem is, what might be causing it, and what to do about it!

Anne

Comments (19)