SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jajm4

Remediating an old lawn

jajm4
15 years ago

I live in a house that has been divided into apartments. I rent one of them and am responsible for half the lawn. Another tenant is responsible for the other half.

We had the wettest summer on record last year. It rained (TORRENTIAL DOWNPOURS) several times a week sometimes. So I know the lawn wasn't suffering from lack of water.

Nevertheless, my section of the lawn was miserable, limp and lifeless. The other half was lush and green and happy.

I mow it and leave the clippings on.

The neighbors use Scott's treatments on their half.

I gave it some kelp powder, ground eggshell, and fish/seaweed liquid fertilizer late in the summer, simply because I had some around (I use them on the houseplants and in the garden). It didn't seem to help, but it might be that I didn't give enough.

I plan to use cornmeal and alfalfa this spring, and maybe spray it with a molasses dilution or compost tea.

Could it really be that there just wasn't enough protein, and maybe the microbes were unhealthy, and this treatment will do the trick? Is there anything else I should try? I feel some pressure to "keep up with the neighbors" because, while the landlord complimented my flowers, he also made a point of noting that the other half of the lawn was soooooo nice and mine was... not. So I don't really want to just experiment and hope for the best. I feel like I HAVE TO shape it up THIS YEAR. If I owned the place, I'd be more patient, but the landlord isn't really interested in organic, and appearance matters to him.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH