SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Seeds of Change Million Seeds Giveaway Update

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

For those of you who requested the freebie seeds during the Seeds of Change Million Seeds giveway, mine arrived today and here's a list of the ones I received:

FLOWERS:

1. Coreopsis "Sunrise"

2. African Lion's Tail (Leonotis leonorus)

3. Poppy "Mixed Carnation"

4. Starflower (Scabiosa stellata)

HERBS:

5. Calendula "Red Splash" (Since this flowers, I could have listed it under "flowers" but since they listed it as a 'medicinal' on the package, I listed it here.)

6. Lavender "Munstead"

7. Florence Fennel "Zefa Fino"

VEGETABLES:

8. "White Lisbon" Bunching Onions

9. "Orange Fantasia" Swiss Chard

1. "Winterbi Mangold" Swiss Chard
  2. "Mammoth Spineless" Okra
  3. "Moon and Stars" Watermelon

13, "Moon and Stars" Watermelon
  4. "Silvery Fir Tree" Tomato
  5. "Thessaloniki" Tomato
  6. "Red Currant" Tomato
  7. "Lakota" Winter Squash
  8. "Smart Pickle" Cucumber
  9. "Round Black Spanish" Radish
  10. "Gold Ball" Turnip
  11. "Green Hubbard" Winter Squash
  12. "Continuity Red" Crisphead Lettuce

23."Rouge De Grenblouse" Lettuce
  13. Jack-O-Lite Pumpkin
  14. Jack-O-Lite Pumpkin

All in all a nice selection and well worth the small shipping and handling fee we paid. I have grown about 10 or 12 of these before and in some cases when I grew them, I had purchased the seeds from Seeds of Change.

I look forward to hearing what the rest of you receive from Seeds of Change.

Dawn

Comments (33)

• owiebrain
    13 years ago

Wow, nice selection for a grab bag!

I'm not sure they're sending mine. The charge on my credit card never went through. :-(

Diane

• joellenh
    13 years ago

I got a pop-up confirmation thanking me for my order, but they never charged my CC. I think they were overloaded that day, and I don't think my order went through either. :(

Jo

• Related Discussions

Older Seed Giveaway

Q

Comments (29)
    Hiya, jeanne, you most generous person you! Here are my *preferences*, but I will gratefully accept *anything* of your excellent collection that you would choose to share! Solidago Fireworks Campanulastrum americana Eryngium planum Thymophlla Dianthus Bath's Pink Euphorbia marginata Iris Ceaser's Brother Iris tectorum Malva Bibor Felho Rudbeckia fulgida var. sulvantii Verbascum phoenicium Rosetta Penstemon smallii Violet Dusk Ipomoea hederacea Looking very much forward to growing and sharing as much as possible! God Bless and a happy and prosperous new year! PLMK!
    ...See More

Free Hollyhock seeds giveaway

Q

Comments (17)
    Hi all, What a coincidence! I just bought a packet of nigra hollyhock seeds online tonight and was wondering if it was too late for me to plant them this year for flowering next year. IÂm afraid IÂve never gardened from seed before but I love hollyhocks and really wanted to try my luck at growing the chocolate variety. Itsy, I noticed you were from KY zone 6; I just moved this year to Bloomington, IN so I thought with our similar climates you would know if itÂs too late for me to plant my seeds. Any advice on where I should plant them would also be appreciated. Thanks! Christopher
    ...See More

Winter Sowing Free Seed Giveaway

Q

Comments (6)
    @prvrbs31gal - I love your blog! I am following you now (and on Pinterest too - isn't it addicting!?!) I can't wait to follow along with your winter sowing progress. By the way, I'm jealous that you were able to overwinter a pepper plant indoors. I tried that a few years ago, and the leaves were covered with aphids in a matter of days! @beatrice_ourdoors - Thanks for visiting my blog! I have a resources page where I have links to all my favorite resources, including wintersown.org and the GardenWeb (My Resources Page). I write a lot about winter sowing and don't put these reference in every post. I just updated it to include a link to this forum, I didn't have that before - thanks for the suggestion on adding that. One quick clarification (sorry this was confusing in my blog post)... you don't have to like, pin, tweet or even follow my blog to enter the contest. Those are just options for bonus points. The main reasons I do this giveaway is to motivate people to write about winter sowing on their own blog (and share the link for others to follow), and to get them excited to share their container counts in multiple places. Thanks for the good luck! I hope you have a wonderful winter sowing season! Amy
    ...See More

3 seed giveaways

Q

Comments (8)
    hey, david, are you particular about the kind of 4:00s? i have a mix of purple and broken colors if you'd like some. send me an email with your addy and i'll get them out. in your zone, i'd guess you could wintersow in a month or so-- ask on the forum. ymaddox, it's my first year wintersowing too! i am a bit nervous but i figure its fans are so devoted that there's got to be something to it :)
    ...See More
  • piscesfish
    13 years ago

They did charge my card, but I'm still waiting. Maybe today though. :)

Kelly

• MiaOKC
    13 years ago

Oh, so jealous! I saw your list and thought, oh, maybe today... but when I checked my cc statement, the charge that was on it for the shipping is now gone. When I called SOC customer service with my confirmation number, I waited 15 minutes on hold to be told that they have no idea, don't have any of the sowing millions project orders in the system, and have no way to know and no info to give out to find out. Bummed I gave them my cc number and now it's evaporated.

their FB page is riddled with similar comments. must have been a major explosion of interest during the promotion that killed off our entries. :(

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I ordered the same day I posted the original thread....in fact, the minute I received my order confirmation from them, I came here and posted the original message. It is hard to imagine that my order made it through and some of your orders from the same day did not.

Mine only arrived this morning, so I wouldn't give up if you haven't received yours yet.

Usually SOC is very prompt, organized and professional. I think they and their system probably were overwhelmed by the perhaps unexpectedly large response to their promotion. Their million-seed-giveaway was supposed to be part of some year-long promotional effort to encourage organic gardening, etc., and I can only assume they didn't think they'd commit to give away all their million seeds in about 48 hours.

I'm worried that Jo is right and that some orders initially may have looked like they went through but then did not. If that is the case, they have created a PR nightmare for themselves.

Keep watching your mailbox and hoping for the best. They originally said processing/shipping would take 2 to 6 weeks, I think, and it hasn't been six weeks yet.

• susanlynne48
    13 years ago

Did you get any other confirmation, e.g., e-mail, that your order went thru? I didn't, but I wonder if the orders that did go thru, received a confirmation or not.

I will probably be giving seeds away next year anyhoos.

Susan

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, the only confirmation I got was the one that flashed up on the screen at the moment the order went through and was accepted by their system. I think that confirmation even said that the standard e-mail confirmation would not be sent. I assumed they were trying to keep it simple.

By apparently not processing these through their usual ordering system, I bet they have no idea how to easily track these and that's probably why they can't answer questions.

• joellenh
    13 years ago

Dawn and others:

I ordered this deal the MINUTE Dawn posted. I also reposted the deal on a SMALL private board for mammas of young kids.

The consensus there is this:

Some people's ccs were billed the same day. Those people got their seeds.

Some people's ccs were never billed. If this is the case, do not hold your breath.

A friend of mine did place a succesful order and she is sending me some veggies and tobacco (LOL) because SOC sent her more than she can use.

I feel that if your cc was not billed, you can kiss your seed order goodbye.

Sorry :(

Jo

• owiebrain
    13 years ago

Mia, now that you mention it, they did charge my CC and then it later disappeared. I've been waiting ever since to see it reappear but it hasn't. I've sent them an email but don't expect anything out of it.

Diane

• p_mac
    13 years ago

Well, for what's it's worth....my cc charge appeared, cleared and is still there, but no seeds yet. I still have my confirmation number...I think, somewhere. But if it doesn't come to fruition, I'll just consider it a "charitable contribution".

But darn, I was (and still am) looking forward to the surprise. I was only about 10 minutes behind Dawn's posting.

Paula

• MiaOKC
    13 years ago

Very interesting! Will post if I receive any seeds. I ordered soon after Dawn posted the link, and copied the confirmation number down. Later that day, when several people posted that all the seeds were gone, I thought something like "Whew! way to go on making a quick decision on those seeds instead of vacillating all day about it." Ha! :)

Very successful promo if they sold out in 48 hrs! Bad promo if they sold out but created a lot of unhappy potential customers that will each tell 5 friends to avoid them.

• owiebrain
    13 years ago

Mia, I saw your post on their FB page. (At least I think it was you, commenting on the disappearing CC charge.)

I, too, ordered right after Dawn posted.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of life, just a bit annoying since it's only my second dealing with them and the other time was not favorable, either. I think they're off of my to-buy list from here on out. There are too many other companies out there for me to give them a third chance.

Diane

• biradarcm
    13 years ago

They did charge my card on the same day ordered, but not yet received packet. Maybe be on the way! -Chandra

• soonergrandmom
    12 years ago

Received my Seeds of Change seeds today.

Sweet Dakota Rose Watermelon
    Matt's Wild Cherry Tomato
    Lutz Salad Leaf Beet
    Cilantor Coriander (2)
    Fino Verde Basil (2)
    Eggplant Black (4)
    Barcarole Lettuce (2)
    Sputnik Arugula (2)
    Russian Mammoth Sunflower
    Flashback Medicinal Calendula
    Pastel Dreams Zinnia
    Pinwheel Marigold
    Shasta Daisy (2)
    Single Mix Hollyhock (2)
    Burgundy Supercrest Celosia

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's terrific news, Carol.

For some reason, they seemed to think you needed a lot of eggplant.

• soonergrandmom
    12 years ago

Dawn, Do you think my husband wrote to them? LOL

• p_mac
    12 years ago

Carol - LOL!!!! Maybe he did....

If my DH had his way, they wouldn't have come thru. He keeps threatening to stage an "intervention" because I have so many seeds saved. BUT THEY CAME THRU!!!

Yesterday, I received:

Barcarole Lettuce (3) (looks like a Romaine!)
    French Breakfast Radish (5)
    Black Eggplant (4)
    Pizza Pepper (3) (I can't wait to grow some of these!)
    Sweet Dakota Rose Watermelon (1)
    Double Rich Tomatoe (1)
    Caserta Zucchini (1)
    Single Mix Hollyhock (2)
    Granpa Ott's Morning Glory (1 - oh no! More than enuf!)
    Medicinal Flashback Calendula (1)
    Shasta Daisy (2)
    and Moonlght Marigold (1)

Yup, that's 25 seed packets! That's a really nice assortment, don't you think? I'm sure I'll have some to share...but I'm going to HAVE to start some of these Pizza Peppers!

Paula
    (whose pulling out the coffee-filters to start those peppers right now!

• soonergrandmom
    12 years ago

Hey it's a nice selection and a lot of seed for $5, but have you noticed that anytime I order a grab bag, I get cilantro? Last year I put four packages in the winter seed swap.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carol, Al wouldn't do something like that, would he?

Paula, Tell him it is too late for an intervention! A gardener can never have too many seeds.

It is a nice assortment, and the peppers and tomatoes have arrived just in time for us to start seeds of those veggies for fall.

Can y'all believe it is time to start some of the fall seeds?

I'm glad you two received your seeds. Maybe that means that more of our forum members who participated will received theirs soon too.

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    12 years ago

I was very surprised to receive it since others had said they expected trouble with their order. I had forgotten about it and couldn't figure out what I was receiving in "a plain brown wrapper". No markings at all, just a stick-on address label.

I don't normally start peppers for fall because mine usually keep going until then. The tomatoes usually produce heavy but have every kind of sad looking problem around, probably because of excess moisture in the Spring, so Fall tomatoes would probably be nice, but I'm not sure I will have anyplace to put them. I normally start a lot of peppers and tomatoes in containers, but I didn't this year.

I have planted okra twice and it turned cooler both times, so I'm not sure I will ever get any to come up. Other than a few spots here and there that might hold an odd plant, I am out of room until things are harvested. We have enjoyed the fresh greens, peas, and radishes. We had hamburgers today and mine looked like a salad on a bun because I had so much lettuce and stuff on it.

Last night I went to my garden after dark and had pea vines on the ground, dirt on the sidewalk, green onions falling over on their side, a few bean seedlings disturbed. We had left home about 3 PM and I had checked the chicken feed just before we left. I guess I didn't get the door locked so they had jumped out and spent several hours in the garden, then put themselves back inside for the night. The door was wide open. In the daylight, I could see that they nibbled on a few peppers and some broccoli, but had eaten a sizable salad of bok choi. It had started to go to seed so I was about ready to take it out anyway so that was no loss. Except for a few beans and a few pea vines, I don't think it will matter much. I am sure I will lock the door in the future.

I planted four types of edible pod peas, and three of them were planted on the same day. The Super Sugar Snap is now producing heavily, and the Sugar Snap appears to be about a week behind. The other one (Cascadia, I think) is blooming but is a much shorter vine.

I soaked Mammouth Melting Sugar seeds the same night as the others then I had a change of plans for that week-end and didn't get them planted. I dumped them in a plastic bag and left the top open. When I remembered it again they were sprouting, and well beyond their prime. It was too wet to put them in the ground so I just planted them in the four corners of small pots and put them under lights for a few days. I finally got them in the ground, so they were kind of mistreated in everyway possible but they are blooming and have small peas on them. I will probably use those for stir fry and such. We eat the Sugar Snaps raw, and mostly in the garden standing by the trellis. LOL

• biradarcm
    12 years ago

I received Seeds of Change Million Seeds Giveaway package today with nice instruction sheet ;

Rainbow Inca Corn (1)
    Champion Radish (1)
    Grandpa Ott's Morning GLory (1)
    Double Rich Tomato (2)
    Cal Wonder Orange Bell Pepper (2)
    Nantes Coreless Carrot (2)
    Buttercup Squash (2)
    Chioggia Beet (2)
    Lutz Salad Leaf Beet (2)
    Kaleidoscope Premium Letttuce Mix (2)
    Sweet Dakota Rose Watermelon (2)
    Eggplant Black (3)
    Cilantro Coriander (3)

I also revived the tons of the seeds from the grab bag. Unfortunately little space left for this seeds until I harvest Garlic, Onions, and all greens.

Cheers -Chandra

• piscesfish
    12 years ago

Still hope for my order yet, then. Fingers crossed!

Kelly

• MiaOKC
    12 years ago

Got my order today! Yaay! Not sure my credit card charge ever showed back up, will have to research that.

Pizza Pepper (2)
    Cilantro, Coriander (2)
    Black Eggplant (1)
    Chioggia Beet (1)
    D'Avignon Radish (2)
    Red Giant Mustard Greens (2)
    Barcarole Lettuce (2)
    Forellenschluss Lettuce (1)
    Nantes Carrot (2)
    Pawnee Shell Bush Bean (1)
    Tendergreen Bush Bean (1)
    Rouge Vif d'etampes Pumpkin (1)
    Yellow Coneflower Echinacea (1)
    Picotee Cosmos (1)
    Evening Sun Sunflower (1)
    Garden Sage (1)
    Licorice Mint (1)
    Hungarian Broom Corn (2)

Great assortment! Thanks for sharing this deal, Dawn!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm thrilled y'all received your seeds, and am happy I was able to 'share' the deal before it sold out.

I was feeling really awful when I was the only one who received seeds, so feel better now that some of you are receiving yours as well. I intend to share some of these seeds with folks on this forum the next time we have a seed swap.

• joellenh
    12 years ago

I was SHOCKED to get my seeds today. I too ordered practically the minute Dawn posted. Later the same day I shared on a small private Mommy Message Board, and a couple of them got their seeds a full month ago, even though they ordered after I did. So I was convinced mine were not coming.

I got

Flowers (5)
    White Sweet Alyssum x2
    Picotee Cosmos Rare x3

Herbs (4)
    Chives
    Basil
    Cilantro x2

Lettuces and Leafy Greens (7)
    Wild Garden Chicory (although this is also grown for its flowers)
    Barcarole Lettuce x2
    Forellenschluss Lettuce x2
    Red Giant Mustard Greens x2

Vegetables, other 9
    Pizza Pepper x 2
    Red House Free Standing Tomato
    Pawnee Shell Bush Bean
    Cascadia Snap Bush Pea
    D'Avignon Radish
    Nantes Carrot x2
    Scarlet Keeper Carrot

A very nice selection and a wonderful surprise. It will be interesting to see what I can grow successfully with the RKN issue.

Flowers and herbs usually work out well for me; everything else is a roll of the dice.

THANK YOU AGAIN DAWN for sharing this AMAZING bargain.

I plan to try some of the leafy greens in the fall, and I might start the tomato for a new fall tomato too. What about peppers or the rest of the stuff? Can I start anything else inside now for the fall garden?

Jo

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jo,

You're welcome, but honestly, y'all don't have to thank me. Anyone else here would have shared the news here like I did if they had seen it on TV like I did that day.

You can start tomato, pepper, tomatillo or eggplant seeds now for fall, but I think it is kind of early to start anything else.

I'll link the OSU Fall Garden guide which has recommended planting dates below for you. Remember that the fall garden dates are opposite of the spring dates---the first date shown is for more northern parts of the state and the last date shown is for more southern parts of the state.

If you want to plant something for fall that's not on the OSU planting chart, post it here and we'll tell you when you can plant it in OK.

If you want to plant some of the cosmos now and have a space for them, you could direct seed them. They'll pop up out of the ground in no time and are fast to bloom from seed. Butterflies love them.
    Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: OSU Fact Sheet Fall Gardening

• joellenh
    12 years ago

I just traded 2 of my flowers (one of each), plus a mustard green and a pizza pepper for another SOC Sowing Millions friend who ordered.

I am getting:

Morning Glory
    Inca Corn
    Chiogga Beet
    Salad Leaf Beet
    Buttercup Squash

Jo

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What fun!

I think, Jo, that you're developing a seed addiction to go along with your fence-painting addiction.

Not that either one of them is a bad thing!

Dawn

• piscesfish
    12 years ago

Yay! My seeds came!! I got

Nantes carrot (3)
    Barcarole lettuce (4)
    Cilantro (3)
    D'Avignon radish (3)
    Pizza peppers (3)
    Smart pickle cucumber (2)
    Chioggia Beet (1)
    Black eggplant (1)
    Gold Nugget squash (1)
    Hungarian broom corn (1)
    Hookers Sweet corn (1)
    Yellowstone carrot (1)
    Mizuna mustard greens (1)

Yippee!

Kelly

• p_mac
    12 years ago

OMG - Kelly. I'm so relieved to know you got yours! I've been watching to see that you'd received them! It would have just been down-right un-fair for you to not have gotten yours after all the rest of us have been celebrating our bounty! YEA!!!!!!

• owiebrain
    12 years ago

I'll admit I am completely shocked that they came through in the end but my seeds arrived yesterday and a good selection, too.

Pawnee Shell bush bean
    D'Avignon radish x 2
    Red Giant mustard greens x 2
    Hungarian broom corn
    Bacarole lettuce x 2
    Picotee cosmos
    Red House Free Standing tomato
    Hyssop
    Cascadia bush snap pea
    Sunflower mix
    Nantes carrot x 2
    Pizza pepper x 2
    Early Jalapeno chili pepper
    Cilantro x 2
    Chiogga beet
    Yellowstone carrot
    Scarlet Keeper carrot
    Forellenschluss lettuce
    Sweet Dakota Rose watermelon

Diane

• 5boys1mom
    12 years ago

I got lot of duplicates that I can't use. If anyone is interested in trading feel free to get in touch.

I have:
    mesclun salad mix
    sputnik arugula
    d'avignon radish (x3)
    champion radish
    cilantro/coriander (x3)
    inca corn (x2)
    pizza pepper
    black eggplant (x3)
    chioggia beet
    barcole lettuce (maybe x2 there are lots of seeds in the packet I don't know that I need all 3 I got)

• soonergrandmom
    12 years ago

I usually just save things from grab bags or mass offers like this and put them in the Oklahoma Forum winter seed swap.

We usually set the minimum to participate at 20 packages and you are almost there with your list. It's fun.