SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
droogie6655321

Hello again -- I've got new stuff.

droogie6655321
16 years ago

Hey, this is Jeff from Broken Arrow again. I came to GardenWeb for help in my first attempt at gardening last year. This year I'm a little older and wiser, and the help that y'all provided got me off to a confident start.

Out with the old, in with the new.

Here's what plants you guys helped me with last year, and have volunteered to come back.

The curled-leaf parsley, rosemary, strawberry, lavender, sage, mint, cilantro, oregano and echinacea appear to have survived intact. Some of them are just tiny little sprouts at the moment.

Here's the new stuff I planted last weekend: bay laurel, replacement basil, English thyme, purple sage, cherry tomato, pink brandywine tomato, yellow pear tomato, green bell peppers.

The lemon verbena, stevia, German chamomile and dill didn't come back. Of them, I'm really only interested in planting more chamomile -- that stuff is great.

This year, I am vowing not to make the same mistake I did last year -- planting my herbs and veggies too close together.

Things got a little crazy at the end of the growing season, with 3-foot high tomatoes and towering dill and basil and spreading sage and chamomile crowding out the smaller plants.

I know that I'll probably run into some more herbs that I will want to plant, so I am prepared for that issue.

I've come here mainly to find out what herbs I haven't already planted might go well in containers.

Here's some plants I'd consider growing along the side of my garden in pots if I can find them in the stores: marjoram, German chamomile, more basil, more parsley, garlic chives, woolly thyme, savory, tarragon, lemon balm, lemon verbena.

Mind you, I wouldn't attempt all of these at once, but if there are some of these that would do well in containers, let me know. I have the perfect spot picked out.

And of course if you have any special tips for the stuff I've already planted, let me know!

Thank you guys for being so helpful to us new gardeners.

PS: On a personal note, we have another new addition... a month-old baby boy! He's great, and will be a talented gardener himself someday.

Comments (9)