SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imsoconfused

You've got answers...I've got questions!!! (Pics)

imsoconfused
15 years ago

Trying to get settled back in our house after being flooded out. Have bought some furniture, but still need some more.

Disclaimers first!!! Yes, the tile on the fireplace is pretty golden, but we like it, it ties in the backsplash from the kitchen. The stuff on the mantel and on the bookshelves is not permanent whatsoever, that's just where I was setting stuff as I unpacked the few boxes of stuff that we managed to salvage. Haven't found a dining room set yet, hence all the dishes and glasses. Dining room will be yet another post!

Our great room is a nice size, but still hard to place furniture in. We probably should have had the tv moved to the top of the fireplace, but we didn't, so it's staying on a piece of furniture. Plus the fireplace is woodburning so it probably couldn't go there anyway due to heat issues. We have two leather recliners and a sofa so far. The sofa is much more gold than it shows up in the photos. Of course the recliners are facing the tv, but they do swivel also. I was thinking of either getting two club chairs, for either side of the tv, or I could move the other recliner to the other side of the fireplace(but doesn't make for great tv viewing) and get a loveseat to put perpendicular? to the sofa. Which do you think would look better and function best? If you think club chairs, what color fabric should they be? Or should I look for a rug first? And how big should the rug be? Not sure I can afford the size you are going to tell me... =)

The "coffee table" is just a couple of endtables that are not staying. Will be looking for something else to go there.

My other question is about the wall behind the sofa where the painting is sitting on the floor. I had a liquor cabinet there before that was probably about 6 ft. tall. I would still like to store liquor there but I am thinking I would like some sort of console/buffet type piece that I can put a lamp on. We don't have outlets in the floor, so I would have to run an extension cord across the walkway there. Not real crazy about that idea. So what sort of piece of furniture am I searching for? Is it a console,a credenza, a buffet? I would like for it to have doors and drawers. Also because of my counter being next to it, how high should the cabinet be? Lower or higher than the counter? How wide should it be? How much "space" should I allow on either side of it? The painting doesn't have to go there, the colors may be all wrong. The barstools I just ordered from "O" and they are NOT the right color! ugh...trying to sell them now, and if they don't sell, they will become a project and be spray painted and seat fabric changed.

One more question if you're still with me...are lamps supposed to be higher than the bed? I'm thinking mine are too tall, and if so, would try using one of them on the liquor cabinet if you think that would work.

I would so appreciate ideas on all these areas. I have seen all of you help so many rooms here go from just ok, to great or fabulous! I hope mine can be one of the next ones!

Comments (9)