SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Harvested The First Tomatoes Today

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

It isn't much but it is a start on what I hope will be a great year for tomatoes.

Today I harvested the first three tomatoes. They are three large red cherry tomatoes from a Husky Red Cherry tomato plant in a container. There are so many tomatoes on this plant, that I didn't even realize they had broken color until a day or two ago.

Husky Red Cherry is not one I'd ever choose (the fruit have thick skin) to plant in the ground, but for early fruit in containers, they'll great as they are consistently very early producers. Besides that, they are the only cherry tomatoes available in the stores in mid-Feb. when I am looking for large plants to put in containers. If another cherry type was available, I'd likely choose it over Husky Red. (In other words, just because I'm growing Husky Red Cherry, I wouldn't recommend it unless you happen to like tomatoes with very thick skin.)

I don't expect to harvest tomatoes from an in-ground plant until around Memorial Day but have some full-sized fruits right now on Big Boy, Better Boy and Red Beefsteak tomato plants in pots that likely will ripen at the same time or even earlier.

We also have been harvesting lettuce, radishes, green onions and strawberries. I'll likely harvest the first sugar snap peas today or tomorrow.

Busy1, if you see this, how are your Tiny Tims coming along? I'd think you'd have red ones any day now if you haven't already.

Dawn

Comments (22)